Thread: Amish, is it a cult?

candlelight Guest

Default Amish, is it a cult?

Was just watching a documentary on the Amish and just have to wonder about it. They are allowed for a spell to run wild before they commit to being Amish. One young man who is Amish said "It is a good religion and if I choose to commit to Amish, I will go to Heaven". Wow, some of it seems so legalistic. Do you think it is a cult. They speak about tradition a lot like the RCC does. Last year not to far from where I live some Amish kids got killed when they were going through there time of decision (I forget what it is called). Just heard them say it is called Rumspringa. I am sure that is not how you spell it though. It is a time where they decide if they will follow the world or Jesus Christ.

Steve in Austin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by candlelight View Post
    Was just watching a documentary on the Amish and just have to wonder about it. They are allowed for a spell to run wild before they commit to being Amish. One young man who is Amish said "It is a good religion and if I choose to commit to Amish, I will go to Heaven". Wow, some of it seems so legalistic. Do you think it is a cult. They speak about tradition a lot like the RCC does. Last year not to far from where I live some Amish kids got killed when they were going through there time of decision (I forget what it is called). Just heard them say it is called Rumspringa. I am sure that is not how you spell it though. It is a time where they decide if they will follow the world or Jesus Christ.
    The period is called Rumspringa. What I always found amazing is how generally after a short period of time how many of these kids choose to return to the faith they were raised in.

I don't know if it is a cult or not but I always thought it was a perfect example of the scripture Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

TomSki Guest

The Amish do not believe in salvation by faith through Christ alone.

His Bride Guest

I have heard that as well. If that is true then it would fit the defintion of a cult.

candlelight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by His Bride View Post
    I have heard that as well. If that is true then it would fit the defintion of a cult.
    I think a lot of it is about good works?

I saw the program on tv too. Pretty legalistic if you ask me.
    Cult or not, any faith other than the finished work of Jesus Christ is wrong.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TomSki View Post
    The Amish do not believe in salvation by faith through Christ alone.
    =

CULT....

http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=amish

this is already a thread that has some info you are looking for.

He is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth. (2 Samuel 23:4)

A few years ago I read a book (actually, I've read it a few times) "Rosanna of the Amish" that was written by her son Joseph Yoder.

He wrote it to dispel the "falsehoods" surrounding the "Amish Faith."

On the surface, the book seemed all light and "god-centered." But reading it over again, you glimpse the "works" theology and the "I will make what I've done right, the church needs to punish me till I feel god has forgiven me" threads that run throughout the book.

Do they have the right idea to not lust after material goods? Yes they do.

Do they equate that with "earning their salvation?" Yes they do.

Are any of the Amish Born Again Christians? I would never make any assumptions. I would only relay the Truth to them.

I had the privilege of watching a teacher (and her husband) that I had in Junior High come forward at a Revival meeting in my hometown in the 1980's (no they were not Amish). I kept in touch with them for a number of years . . . it took about 5 years before they left the "religion" they had both grown up in . . . they finally realized that the "religion" was false and they got involved in a Born Again Fellowship.

I asked my former teacher why it took so long to make the "break" from their "religion." She said, "This is what my husband and I grew up on . . . only after we felt we could really read the Bible and ask questions to God directly (via Jesus Christ), did we realize that what we "grew up on" was not what the Bible said."

I know, if my teacher or her husband had died while still attending the church of their "religion" in those 5 years, they would have gone to be with the Lord.

Even if someone, to this day, says that they are a "Born Again Christan" I make sure by telling them the Gospel AGAIN!
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

It is a cult. They create good furniture though...
    One Day Closer

PaGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by candlelight View Post
    I think a lot of it is about good works?
    My next door neighbors are Amish and they believe that your good works grant you salvation and that it is prideful to believe you are saved through GRACE.

This thread discussed this pretty well. For my money, they are a cult.
    “The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.” G. K. Chesterton

Evangelist16 Guest

It looks and sounds like a cult, so probably so. They do make good furniture though, what does everyone think about the Menanites?

candlelight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by koinonoia View Post
    The Mennonites and Amish are definitely not cults. They are people who take Jesus' admonitions to give a preferential option to the poor seriously and to live in community with other Christians, being a light on the hill against the secular values of the world. I know many Amish and Mennos and they are some of the most amazing, most Christ-like Christians I know. While the Amish can, and often, fall into the prideful trap of "I'm holier than thou" when talking to other Christians, this is only a slight fault and one many Chrisitans both Anabaptist or not, fall into.
    The Mennonites and Amish are not the same, although I realize they are related, EXCEPT that the Mennonites believe they are saved by grace, and that is a BIG difference. I will have to disagree with you there. I know of an Amish family and their Daughter went over to the Mennonite's and she was shunned. It leads me to believe that they believe if you are not Amish you are not saved. If that is seperating yourself, being a light on the hill then shunning your own, then that is not a very good testimony. This is not uncommon to shun even your own children because of this even if it is a Christian faith that moved on to. Sounds like a lot of control. What do you consider a slight fault? Sin is sin and the Lord does not differentiate that because someone is simply Amish? No thank you.

candlelight Guest

Of course the Mennos and Amish are not the same. They come from the same spiritual background, the Anabaptists, which were started during the Reformation when some people, Konrad Grabel, etc, didn't think Martin Luther was taking the Reformation far enough. I see how you might have a problem with shunning, and I two do not agree with the practice. But to be a light on the hill, to be the Kingdom of God, not the Kingdom of Man or the World, one has to keep all worldly elements out. Typical Anabaptist Two Kingdom theology. So those who have voluntarily (emphasis on the word voluntarily, the Anabaptists created the concept of the voluntary free-will church) accepted the Ordanung and have chosen to be part of the Amish community, then if they go back on their promise and commit some deed that is goes against the Ordanung and everything the community stands for, then they will be given a chance to explain themselves and be reunited with the community. If they still choose to commit that action, than they have willfully detached themselves from the community and rejected the standards by which Amish people are to live. They then no longer belong to the community, for their presence might be harmful, introducing an element of individualism or pride into the community that the Amish try to guard against. Shunning, then, becomes the only option. Yes its harsh, but it also makes sense. What would you do if someone in your community suddenly began telling everyone that there were errors in the Bible and that the Rapture was a lie?

It is also true that very few Amish communities practice shunning anymore. In fact most of the shunning that goes on is voluntary, whereby a son or daughter who doesn't wish to live Amish but live in the world, have a car, start a business, etc, breaks off from his/her family voluntarily and goes to live a modern life.

Some Amish do believe that anyone who is not Amish isn't saved. Others don't. But many Christians do that. In fact I here many people on this board calling other Christians, from Rob Bell to RIck Warren, Jospeh Prince to Shane Clairbourne, unsaved. WHich implies that they think they are the only true Christians. I don't think it is our place to judge, so I agree with you there.
    Well we can respectfully agree to disagree and the shunning I implied was because of certain things. Now a child leaving the Amish Faith to go to a Christian faith is no grounds for shunning. If one of my Daughter's gets pregnant and of course I would be disappointed, would I shun her and NEVER speak to her again? Of course not because Jesus said 'We ALL have sinned fall short of the glory of God". Jesus tells us to forgive and it would seem that some religions are not practicing that.

As for Rick Warren, Rob Bell, etc. They do not preach the gospel and they do not believe the Word of God is the final authority. I know many that go to Rob Bell's church and have spoken to many and can attest they are not being preached or taught the gospel message of sin, repentance and the forgiveness through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Now that being they seem to be leaning toward not preaching that homosexuality is a sin, and we all know it is because it is in God's Word. Yes, most definitely these people need to be exposed. I hardly think that the Apostates that have been exposed on this board and other avenues like "let Us Reason" etc. is only right. Anything other then the Gospel of Jesus Christ is is an Apostate religion and needs to be exposed. I would suggest that you listen to some of them perhaps, but pray for discernment before you do.

Some Amish do believe that anyone who is not Amish isn't saved. Others don't. But many Christians do that. In fact I here many people on this board calling other Christians, from Rob Bell to RIck Warren, Jospeh Prince to Shane Clairbourne, unsaved. WHich implies that they think they are the only true Christians. I don't think it is our place to judge, so I agree with you there.
    Careful, that's judgmental. We do judge fruit, and can Biblically do so, in fact we are told to do so. rob bell for instance denies essential doctrines and bristles at the idea of people claiming to be born again. I don't judge his motivation, but I do judge his doctrine as heretical. Same goes for mclaren, jones and the rest of the emergents.

Only the Bible makes clear what a believer is. If people consistently deny essential doctrines, that is on them, and their fruit is to be examined. The go along to get along, and the misappropriated "judge not" stuff is how these people get wide acceptance as mainstream, when they are nothing of the sort.