Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cars and EMP

Thankful1 Guest

Default Cars and EMP

I need some help finding a suitable car that would run in the event of an EMP.

How old would it need to be? Any suggestions on something reliable?

100knight Guest

All cars barring hybrids and fully electrical (lol) should work, no?

Well in Steven Speilberg's version of War of the Worlds, they replaced the solenoid in a caravan and it worked, after the electrical discharging that knocked out all the power in the areas.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Thankful1 Guest

Sorry guys, but I am a female and not that up on cars! That second post was like Chinese to me... But, I appreciate any help. (thanks WarriorX)

I posted over here to see if someone knows what models/years I could look for. I need an older, but reliable car. I would like one that would hopefully still run even after an EMP. I hope this never happens, of course!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thankful1 View Post
    I need some help finding a suitable car that would run in the event of an EMP.

How old would it need to be? Any suggestions on something reliable?
    Any battery source that genetates and electric pulse wil be disabled. The circuits will fry. It's like getting a car jump from an atomic bomb. I have yet to find an engine model that can withstand a true EMP exposure. Maybe you'll be able to find something. Good luck friend.

An electro-static engine might work, so long as the engine is simply transferring or relaying the power and not storing it in any fashion. The only other thing I can think of is a horse drawn carriage or steam power! LOL.
    One Day Closer

any car before the 80's?
    Last edited by Eternally; May 19th, 2009 at 06:38 PM.

Anything with wires in it would have current induced in it by an EMP. Its hard to see how any sort of electric motor (which has a LOT of wound wire in it) could survive unless it was shielded.

That would include a starter motor. You might be able to jump start a standard transmission by rolling downhill, but I doubt it. Spark Coils, pumps...
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

frodo82801 Guest

If I were doing this, and believe me, I've thought plenty about it, I would get an older pickup that uses non-electronic ignition (points, rotor, etc.) I would have back up parts for all of those things, including an extra distributor. I would then rig a garage with a shield made out of copper mesh. I would also convert the thing to propane since after the attack, there will will be tanks of propane in rural back yards. If you have something to trade, you could probably fill your tank.

Thankful1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by frodo82801 View Post
    If I were doing this, and believe me, I've thought plenty about it, I would get an older pickup that uses non-electronic ignition (points, rotor, etc.) I would have back up parts for all of those things, including an extra distributor. I would then rig a garage with a shield made out of copper mesh. I would also convert the thing to propane since after the attack, there will will be tanks of propane in rural back yards. If you have something to trade, you could probably fill your tank.
    Thanks a bunch.
    I've just started thinking about this, so you are way ahead of me. I wonder if you could store those electrical parts for the old pickup in a galvanized trash can and install/replace them later? I read about the "trash can as a faraday cage" on another site. Don't know if that would really work, but it sounded like an easy way to have an instant EMP safe storage place. Have you ever heard of this?

Also, what year model would be far back enough to get the non-electronic ignition, etc. you mentioned?

You just have to make sure the trashcan can come in contact with the ground so the EMP will ground out.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Keep a good pair of walking shoes in the trunk.

Thankful1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph The Carpenter View Post
    Keep a good pair of walking shoes in the trunk.
    I know even the best plans may not work in a real crisis situation, but if you did have a way to have transportation of some sort, you could "bug out" of the big city or, at least, have a few more survival options. The key would be a car that would still run.

That said, I will have those walking shoes.

Thankful1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    You just have to make sure the trashcan can come in contact with the ground so the EMP will ground out.
    Thank you for mentioning that.

What about the stuff inside? Does it need to be wrapped in bubble wrap or not touch the metal sides of the can? Is there a certain distance that the electronics would have to be from the sides in order to stay protected?

I bugged out of the "biggest city"in 1999. I now live where there are more horses and cows than people.
    An EMP is an electrical charge that runs through the air and when it come into contact metal it sends a charge through it, shorting out all components. Some people say older cars (pre 70's before circuit boards) will run but I am not to sure. A Faraday cage is a metal box or shed that is grounded as to protect what is inside. I have read that it should be doubled to make sure your items are protected. If you do a search there is a lot of info out there.

Paradigm Guest

Well in Steven Speilberg's version of War of the Worlds, they replaced the solenoid in a caravan and it worked, after the electrical discharging that knocked out all the power in the areas.
    That had to be the most unbelievable thing in a movie I have ever seen.

A car's Starter is simply an electric motor which cranks over the engine so it can "catch" and power on. The Solenoid is just a relay switch used to control the high current needed to go into this motor (so that your Ignition Switch doesn't melt into gooey plastic).

No *** way after an EMP blast is just replacing a "Solenoid" going to get the car running. Way too much other stuff would have been burnt out.

To get a car that is "EMP safe" you'd have to look into a car that works completely without any electronics.

So a carburated car is a start, along with ignition systems that work with vaccuum timing as opposed to electronic timing.

You're probably safe with a 52 Chevy, although don't expect stellar gas mileage
    Last edited by Steve53; May 25th, 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Language usage

PGP_Protector Guest

I'd take a look at Military Vehicles as they should be designed to withstand EMPs

TheWatchman Guest

From 60s on down.70s they came out with electronic timing. I can still remember setting points. AAhhh..the good old days.

Paradigm Guest

From 60s on down.70s they came out with electronic timing. I can still remember setting points. AAhhh..the good old days.
    Man that must have been a pain and terribly inneficient. People still use Carbs today even, considering they are "controlled fuel leaks"

Quote Originally Posted by Thankful1 View Post
    Thank you for mentioning that.

What about the stuff inside? Does it need to be wrapped in bubble wrap or not touch the metal sides of the can? Is there a certain distance that the electronics would have to be from the sides in order to stay protected?
    Apparently the electrical discharge travels on the outer edge of anything acting like a Faraday cage. Stuff inside it *should* be fairly safe... Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. lol. But insulating the contents would be a safe bet either way.

I believe this subject has been discussed somewhere else on this board. If I remember the conversation correctly, an individual posted that had been involved in testing this very thing. I believe he said that most cars subjected to EMP blasts came through it with only minor electrical problems. The cars would still start and run, but some of them had gauges that quit working.
    Deo Vindice!