Thread: "400 Years in Bondage-Children of Israel"

cocopea9052 Guest

Default "400 Years in Bondage-Children of Israel"

Hi RR,

I recall hearing that the children of Israel was in bondage to the Egyptians for 400 years, but I can only find this verse:

Exodus 3:9-10 9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to Me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.”

Where in scripture does it say how long it was?

Does that mean they were oppressed for 400 years, or just a portion of that time, as they had things pretty good when Joseph was alive before the new King took over? Once conditions became bad, they started praying and God heard their affliction, but I wonder how many years was in between?

Now, with regard to the Rapture, I know God hears the affliction of his people today also. How long do you think Christians have truly been looking up and calling out to God for deliverance?

Are there any other time periods in the bible where the oppressed had to wait a long time for God to deliver them?

Thank you all and God bless.

Gabby Guest

Genesis 15:
    13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. 14 And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions.

Exodus 12:
    40 Now the sojourn of the children of Israel who lived in Egypt[a]was four hundred and thirty years. 41 And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years—on that very same day—it came to pass that all the armies of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.

I believe the discrepancy between the 400 and the 430 had something to do with Moses murdering the Egyptian and then fleeing to Midian for 40 years.

Interesting question about how long Christians have REALLY been looking up and calling out for deliverance. I believe there's always been evil...but it seems with the advent of the computer age and women's so-called 'lib' (and the sexual revolution that resulted in free sex and abortion and the breakdown of the family) and the continual 'death of God' in society that surely this must be the darkest age yet.

cocopea9052 Guest

Thank you Gabby, I wondered where it said that. You know it is interesting that God said in advance they would be afflicted for 400 years. I wonder why? That sure is a long time.

I try not to ask too many question as to not question God's reason for doing things, but why would he have them go to this land to be afflicted for so long? I mean it's not as though they came out and was faithful or grateful that God delivered them. He still had to let another generation die off while taking them through the desert, and that still did not bring about obedience. Then I think, well maybe the affliction was to judge Egypt, but they didn't exactly become model citizens either.

Which always brings me back to the Rapture, can you imagine one day that history may read that it was 2000 or 2500 years for us? With people wondering why as Christians we didn't get our act together sooner....lol

I have often wondered if anything in Exodus can be related to the Rapture. Of course with the Rapture there will be no further disobedience or wandering in the wilderness. Maybe God's delay is not just for non-believers, but to thoroughly sift those who claim they do.

Thanks again!

Gabby Guest

I've had some of those questions, too. I've wondered how long they cried out for God... Some of the commentators I've read have said that before they followed Joseph down to Egypt, the brothers had already begun marrying pagans. If they had continued doing that, pretty soon Israel wouldn't have been 'pure' and that's part of the reason God put them in Egypt. Because by being strangers in a strange land, they basically stopped intermarrying the pagans because they clung to one another. And that way they were able to grow, as a nation, and grow strong. Sort of as like Egypt was a 'womb' of sorts. By being in the 'womb' they grew strong and multiplied.

It's interesting that they went into Egypt as a family and came out of Egypt as a nation.

Gabby Guest

I have often wondered if anything in Exodus can be related to the Rapture. Of course with the Rapture there will be no further disobedience or wandering in the wilderness. Maybe God's delay is not just for non-believers, but to thoroughly sift those who claim they do.
    There is one type of Church/Bride in Exodus that I'm aware of.

When Moses married Zipporah~ Zipporah is a type or model of the Church or the Bride. Moses, being Hebrew, left his brothers in Egypt (first advent) and married the Gentile Zipporah (Church) before returning to his brothers. (second advent) Not a picture of the Rapture, but still an interesting picture of the Church being the Bride.

They were strangers in the land for 400 years but they were not oppressed for 400 years. All of the sons up to Joseph were born while Jacob served Laban for the second set of seven years. Levi, the third born, was less than seven years older than Joseph. Joseph was 30 years when he stood before Pharaoh (Gen 41:46). In the second year of the famine, the Jews went to stay in Egypt (Genesis 47:18). Joseph was now about 39. Levi would then be no more than seven years older than Joseph and therefore 46 years old maximum when the 430 years started. Exodus 6:16 tells us Levi lived to 137 of age or 91 years after the Jews went to Egypt. Exodus 1:6-8 tells us, "And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation. And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them. Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph." The start of the oppression did not come until after Joseph and all of his brothers, including Levi, died. Since Levi lived at least, but very close to, 91 years after they went in to Egypt then the oppression did not start until then. 430-91 = 339. So what we see is that they were not strangers for the first thirty years, they were strangers for another 61 years or so and then the oppression started.

cocopea9052 Guest

Thank you for such a detailed explanation on the ages and timing. You know, it is something that because of what Joesph's brother's did to him that he wound up in Egypt and thus provided a place for his family after the famine. It's just hard to understand how they could have been lead there as part of God's plan, but then endured so much suffering for so long. For whatever reason, the new King that arose in Egypt saw the people as a threat and changed how things were done.

But then again, I suppose it is not too hard to imagine-- legacies and traditions do die out if enough time has passed. Take America for example, what this country, it's founding fathers and subsequent generations begin as, is not what it is today.