Thread: Ray Vander Laan?

Default Ray Vander Laan?

I just received in the mail, unsolicited, a DVD by Ray Vander Laan. Can anyone tell me anything about Mr. Vander Laan? I know nothing about him and don't want to waste my time on or open myself up to any false teaching. It ticks me off when I get junk in the mail that I never asked for, but I don't want to destroy the DVD if Mr. Vander Laan is a true shepherd.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

http://apprising.org/2008/04/rob-bel...ay-vanderlaan/

Many who are new to the mystical Messianic musings of Rob Bell, a prominent pastor-teacher in the Emergent Church, the pseudo-Christian cult of a postliberal theology, that is don’t know about his own leaning heavily on the teachings of Ray VanderLaan.

Here’s the link to some more research at Relational Concepts, Inc., which is a group of Michigan pastors have done extensive research into Ray VanderLaan and reviewed Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. And then in this letter to Apprising Ministries a reader describes the adverse effects on a Christian school in their community which has also come under VanderLaan’s influence:
    . . . click the link for the rest of the story.
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

Quote Originally Posted by KaiafromBergen View Post
    http://apprising.org/2008/04/rob-bel...ay-vanderlaan/

. . . click the link for the rest of the story.
    Thank you. You've saved me some trouble. At my last church, some people were reading Velvet Elvis and highly recommended it. I don't think I got past the first page before realizing it was a piece of junk I didn't need to be wasting my time on. I think I'll just stick to reading my Bible.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by jadeeyes View Post
    I think I'll just stick to reading my Bible.
    me too.

one of the churches I sometimes go to is promoting Donald Miller and his Blue Like Jazz book

Blue Like Jazz is garbage. (see) http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=9693
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Quote Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
    me too.

one of the churches I sometimes go to is promoting Donald Miller and his Blue Like Jazz book

Blue Like Jazz is garbage. (see) http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=9693
    I wasn't aware of this book. Thank you for the information. That's something else I'll want to avoid.

Thank you Sing.

This is exactly the kind of garbage my Mother was trying to lead me into when I was a child and she was flitting from one occultic or New Age belief/pracrice to another. It thoroughly disgusts me that people like Rob Bell will clothe themselves with the mantle of Christianity while leading people into occultic/New age practices. I thank God that He lead me away from that nonsense along time ago and that my Mother finally heeded the call to abandon that garbage. SHe has finally, at the age of 78, become a born again, repentant sister in Christ. I know I have already posted about my Mother's change of heart and mind, but I love to tell people that God still saves the elderly who have spent decades caught up in false religion. Why would anyone want to mess around with false religion when they can have a life changing relationship with Jesus?

Personally, I have used Ray's "That The World May Know" series and have found them to be excellent. His understanding of the historical backgrounds and ability to weave them into our Christian life is nothing short of fabulous. If you want to be blessed, I highly recommend this series since it focuses heavlily on discipleship and knowing the Lord.

After reading so many comments about Ray, I guess I had better go back and re-examine his stuff. (Just kidding, I will continue to watch his stuff and recommend it)

fwiw (and apparently not to much)

don

I think making merchandise of the sheep and goats is an end time part of the apostasy.
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by missionethiopia View Post
    Personally, I have used Ray's "That The World May Know" series and have found them to be excellent. His understanding of the historical backgrounds and ability to weave them into our Christian life is nothing short of fabulous. If you want to be blessed, I highly recommend this series since it focuses heavlily on discipleship and knowing the Lord.

After reading so many comments about Ray, I guess I had better go back and re-examine his stuff. (Just kidding, I will continue to watch his stuff and recommend it)

fwiw (and apparently not to much)

don
    If you recommend it here, it will be deleted and you will have you access limited, at best.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but:

[06] Do not promote false teachings , false prophets, heretical movements, paganism, ritualism, Third Wave Latter Rain, Words of Faith (WOF), Words of Knowledge (WOK), extra biblical teachings from television ministers, Vineyard teachings, Dominion theology, Soul Sleep, Signs & Wonders, Gospel to the Stars, Toronto Blessings, I.H.O.Prayer, 7th Day (Sabbath) keeping, liturgy of works and practices for obtaining and maintaining salvation, ecumenism, false scriptures such as the Pseudepigrapha , Apocrypha, Bible codes, Ufology, Inccubi, Succubi, Angelic procreation and cloning, demon seeds, or any other extra biblical preoccupations with demonic and extrasensory beliefs.
    Do not post from television teachers entangled in any of the above such as TBN, Perry Stone, Todd Bentley, J. R. Church, Rick Warren, Don Piper - "90 Minutes in Heaven", fivedoves, etc...

Guess I missed which part of the series of "That The World May Know" falls into any apostate category and I have actually watched them all.

whatever