Thread: Home made carpet shampoo

lookin' up and listenin' for the shout, good neighbor!

Default Home made carpet shampoo

Do any of you ladies know how to make a good carpet shampoo out of inexpensive ingredients?
    I am planning to rent a shampooer tomorrow, but the large bottle of shampoo costs $20.00 and I know it will not be enough to do all my carpets.
    I have tried making my own before but end up with suds and bubbles everywhere. Carpet shampoo is not supposed to make suds. I need something that will freshen the smell of the house too.
    Any ideas will be a blessing- thanks in advance!
    Prayer........the best wireless connection!

Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. Proverbs 6:6-8

lovinlife4 Guest

I don't really know other than using laundry detergent (the HE kind) it doesn't bubble as much and smells good. Or if you have light carpet you can buy the Wal-Mart brand shampoo and mix a little bleach in. Just a little into the hot water, We have really light carpet and this gets out stains and pet odors. The Wal-mart brand is about $12.00 compared to $20. Good luck.

igglet Guest

We use Folex in our carpet cleaner. It's about $4 at Target and is marketed as a carpet spray stain remover. However, it doesn't produce suds at all and gets out ALL the stains. I can't stand using carpet shampoo on my carpet--the soap residue left behind attracts more dirt. Folex works great.

I don't know how to make carpet shampoo, but I do love those carpet fresh powders. You can get them at the dollar store. Just sprinkle over the carpet and wait a bit and then vacuum. Some of them smell really good. Sometimes I get mine at Walmart since they have more of a variety.

dow Guest

Okay I haven't tried this yet but I'm planning on doing it sometime this week. I've read all about steam cleaning with white vinegar + very hot water solution and I'm going to give it a try. That's about as cheap as you can get for carpet cleaning. It is supposedly better than using carpet shampoo/soap. So there's an idea.

my daughter uses vinegar in the washing machine as a fabric softer. I will have to try it in my carpet shampoo machine.
    thanks,
    betty

Vinegar is a great all-purpose cleaner.
    My folks use it for spots on their carpet - put it in a spray bottle.
    Then they run the carpet steamer over it.
    They don't put in any soap, just hot water.
    Their carpets always look great.

Cookies4me Guest

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03aug04b.cfm
    here ya go lades. I just found a bunch of advice here.
    I am going to try the plain old vinegar. I hate cream carpets.

I hate cream carpets
    --------
    same goes for dark green carpet. shows everything. Why did we get a white cat instead of a dark green cat?

Cookies4me Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I hate cream carpets
    --------
    same goes for dark green carpet. shows everything. Why did we get a white cat instead of a dark green cat?

I roll my eyes over it being cream carpet in a forest dwelling home. Talk about stupid planning on the owners part.

run2Jesus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies4me View Post
    I roll my eyes over it being cream carpet in a forest dwelling home. Talk about stupid planning on the owners part.
    My sister had that problem. She had cream colored carpets and lived out in the woods with three dogs ! They yanked up all the spotted carpet and laid Pergo flooring. It really looks and cleans great!

I have the dark plush green carpet. Fortunately I have a mostly black cat whose hair doesn't show up too bad. So, if you don't want to re-floor, maybe you could consider trading your cat in for a different color model.

when trouble gets in to trouble, which is usually when he is breathing, I think about trading him for another cat. But then he jumps on the desk and gives me a kiss.
    betty

Please be careful what you use on carpets especially if you have small children. I have a friend who had shampooed her carpet and her baby developed Kawasaki disease after being on the floor- (really) and they suspect it is a reaction to the shampoo. That baby almost died. I had never heard of such a thing! It was several days before they diagnosed her.

I vote with the white vinegar!

Here ya go: http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/...sp?Main_ID=442