Thread: The Husband as Priest of the Home

Preserved Guest

Default The Husband as Priest of the Home

Does anyone out there know if there are any biblical referances for The Husband being the Priest of the family? I am doing a men's group Bible Study and I wanted to see if there were any Biblical presidence?

Here are my current notes;
    Husband, The Priest of the Family
    Introduction Jesus the High Priest over us Part I

We are cleansed of our sins by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Now that we are cleansed, we are able to enter the Holy of Holies and worship God as Priests. We were made to be Kings and Priests to serve God our Father.
    Revelation 1:5-6 CEV* May kindness and peace be yours from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness. Jesus was the first to conquer death, and he is the ruler of all earthly kings. Christ loves us, and by his blood he set us free from our sins.* (6)* He lets us rule as kings and serve God his Father as priests. To him be glory and power forever and ever! Amen.

We are being built into a spiritual house, a royal priesthood. So we should offer spiritual sacrifices that God will accept through Jesus Christ. We are chosen, a royal priesthood that belong to God.
    1 Peter 2:5-9 GW* You come to him as living stones, a spiritual house that is being built into a holy priesthood. So offer spiritual sacrifices that God accepts through Jesus Christ.* (6)* That is why Scripture says, "I am laying a chosen and precious cornerstone in Zion, and the person who believes in him will never be ashamed."* (7)* This honor belongs to those who believe. But to those who don't believe: "The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,* (8)* a stone that people trip over, a large rock that people find offensive." The people tripped over the word because they refused to believe it. Therefore, this is how they ended up.* (9)* However, you are chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, people who belong to God. You were chosen to tell about the excellent qualities of God, who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

The Lamb of God is praised right before He opens the seven seals, because He has made us to be Kings and Priests to rule on earth.
    Revelation 5:9-10 MKJV* And they sang a new song, saying, You are worthy to take the book and to open its seals, for You were slain and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every kindred and tongue and people and nation.* (10)* And You made us kings and priests to our God, and we will reign over the earth.

The veil of the Holy of Holies was torn from top to bottom at the death of Jesus Christ allowing us entry to worship God.
    Matthew 27:51 GNB* Then the curtain hanging in the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split apart, (Mar_15:38, Luk_23:46)

During the millennial rein we will serve God as Priests of God and Christ and will rein with him for a thousand years.
    Revelation 20:6 Darby* Blessed and holy he who has part in the first resurrection: over these the second death has no power; but they shall be priests of God and of the Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

On a covenant with Moses, God declared that Israel would be declared* a nation of Royal Priests.
    Exodus 19:5-6 BBE* If now you will truly give ear to my voice and keep my agreement, you will be my special property out of all the peoples: for all the earth is mine:* (6)* And you will be a kingdom of priests to me, and a holy nation. These are the words which you are to say to the children of Israel.

This promise to the Israel was made again in Isaiah
    Isaiah 61:6 BBE* But you will be named the priests of the Lord, the servants of our God: you will have the wealth of the nations for your food, and you will be clothed with their glory.

Webster's definition of Priest gives us a clue to the basis of why we as the heads of our households could be considered priests
    1. A man who officiates in sacred offices. Among pagans, priests were persons whose appropriate business was to offer sacrifices and perform other sacred rites of religion. In primitive ages, the fathers of families, princes and kings were priests. Thus Cain and Abel, Noah, Abraham, Melchizedek, Job, Isaac and Jacob offered their own sacrifices. In the days of Moses, the office of priest was restricted to the tribe of Levi, and the priesthood consisted of three orders, the high priest, the priests, and the Levites, and the office was made hereditary in the family of Aaron.

We begin to see a parallel here of we as husbands as head of the wife as Christ is head of the Church. If Jesus was a new type of Priest over the Church, then we should act as the Priest over our household.
    Ephesians 5:23-27 MKJV* For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.* (24)* Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.* (25)* Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it,* (26)* that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word,* (27)* that He might present it to Himself as the glorious church, without spot or wrinkle or any such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish.

High Priest Heb_2:17, Heb_3:1, Heb_4:14-15 (2), Heb_5:1, Heb_5:5, Heb_5:10, Heb_6:20, Heb_7:26-28 (3), Heb_8:1, Heb_8:3, Heb_9:7, Heb_9:11, Heb_9:25, Heb_13:11
    archiereus (ar-khee-er-yuce') From G746 and G2409; the high priest (literally of the Jews, typically Christ); by extension a chief priest: - chief (high) priest, chief of the priests.

Thayer Definition:
    1) Chief Priest, high priest - He above all others was honored with the title of priest, the chief of priests. It was lawful for him to perform the common duties of the priesthood; but his chief duty was, once a year on the Day of Atonement, (The Day of Atonement Leviticus 23: 26-32 Thursday, October 9, 2008) to enter into the Holy of Holies (from which the other priests were excluded) and offer sacrifices for his own sins and the sins of the people, and to preside over the Sanhedrin, or Supreme Council, when convened for judicial deliberations.* According to Mosaic law, no one could aspire to the high priesthood unless he were of the tribe of Aaron and descended from a high priestly family; and he on whom the office was conferred held it till death. But from the time of Antiochus Epiphanes, when the kings of Seleucideae and afterwards the Herodian princes and the Romans arrogated to themselves the power of appointing the high priests, the office neither remained vested in the pontifical family nor was conferred on any for life; but it became venal, and could be transferred from one to another according to the will of civic or military rulers. Hence it came to pass, that during the one hundred and seven years intervening between Herod the Great and the destruction of the holy city, twenty eight persons held the pontifical dignity.
    2) the high priests, these comprise in addition to one holding the high priestly office, both those who had previously discharged it and although disposed, continued to have great power in the State, as well as the members of the families from which high priest were created, provided that they had much influence in public affairs.
    3) Used of Christ because by undergoing a bloody death he offered himself as an expiatory sacrifice to God, and has entered into the heavenly sanctuary where he continually intercedes on our behalf.

Jesus as High Priest

Jesus was made a merciful and faithful High Priest in service to God to make a single atonement over us His brothers because he tasted death and was tempted.
    Hebrews 2:17-18 MKJV* Therefore in all things it behoved him to be made like His brothers, that He might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of His people.* (18)* For in that He Himself has suffered, having been tempted, He is able to rescue those who are being tempted.

With His sacrifice He has become the one and only High Priest in our lives and we should fix our thoughts upon Him.
    Hebrews 3:1 ISV* Therefore, holy brothers, partners in a heavenly calling, keep your focus on Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession.

Jesus Himself has gone through all that we are experiencing and therefore can make atonement for us with God. We should therefore come boldly to the throne to obtain grace and mercy.
    Hebrews 4:14-16 MKJV* Since then we have a great High Priest who has passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.* (15)* For we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feelings of our infirmities, but was in all points tempted just as we are, yet without sin.* (16)* Therefore let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

The roles of the High Priest.
    1. The Priest is selected by God, not by man to represent man's matters before God.
    Hebrews 5:1 ASV* For every high priest, being taken from among men, is appointed for men in things pertaining to God...
    and
    Hebrews 5:4 CEV* But no one can have the honor of being a high priest simply by wanting to be one. Only God can choose a priest, and God is the one who chose Aaron.

2. He offers both Gifts and sacrifices for sins
    ... that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:

3. He should deal gently with those who are ignorant and go astray by teaching and admonition.
    Hebrews 5:2 NIV He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. (Heb_2:17)
    Leviticus 10:10-11 MKJV* (10)* Even for a distinction between the holy and unholy, and between the unclean and clean* (11)* and so that you may teach the sons of Israel all the statutes which Jehovah has spoken to them by the hand of Moses.

The Order of Melchizedek;
    The Order of Melcizedek, is the appointment of a priest other than one from the line of Aaron. This breaks us from the Law that all priests must be descendants of Aaron of the Tribe of Levi. Another fact of the Melchizedek Priest is that it is made on the power of an indestructible life.
    Hebrews 7:11-16 MKJV* Therefore if perfection were by the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the Law), what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron?* (12)* For the priesthood being changed, there is of necessity a change made in the law also.* (13)* For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man gave attendance at the altar.* (14)* For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.* (15)* And it is still far more evident, since there arises another priest after the likeness of Melchizedek,* (16)* who is made, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life.

David a Shadow between Melchezadek and Jesus Christ
    We see a shadow of this when David, another form of the King of Salem (Jerusalem) makes a sacrifice although not a Levitical Priest.
    1 Chronicles 21:26 MKJV* (26)* And David built an altar there to Jehovah, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called on Jehovah. And He answered him from Heaven by fire on the altar of burnt offering.

David took the Holy Bread of Presence from Ahimelech the priest of Nob.
    1 Samuel 21:4-6 MKJV And the priest answered David and said, There is no common bread under my hand, but there is holy bread if the young men have kept themselves at least from women. (5) And David answered the priest and said to him, Truly women have been kept from us for about three days, since I came out, and the vessels of the young men are holy, and in a way the holy bread is common. Also surely today it is sanctified in the vessels. (6) And the priest gave him holy bread. For there was no bread there but the Bread of the Presence that was taken from before Jehovah, in order to put hot bread in on the day when it was taken away. Lev_24:5-9 These twelve loaves of bread were an offing to God one for each tribe of Israel as a token of their atonement. The bread was replaced every Sabbath and the old stale bread was eaten by the Priests, descendants of Aaron.

Who is Melchizedek?
    Genesis 14:18-20 MKJV* And Melchizedek the king of Salem brought forth bread and wine. And he was the priest of the most high God.* (19)* And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of Heaven and earth.* (20)* And blessed be the most high God, who has delivered your enemies into your hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

David declared the Messiah as a Priest forever after the order Melchizedek (Psa_110:4, Heb_7:17)

Hebrews 7:1-10 MKJV* For this Melchizedek, king of Salem and priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him.* (2)* To him Abraham also gave a tenth of all. He was first by interpretation king of righteousness, and after that also king of Salem, which is king of peace,* (3)* without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest continually.* (4)* Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.* (5)* And truly they who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priest, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the Law, that is, from their brothers, though they come out of the loins of Abraham.* (6)* But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.* (7)* And without all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better.* (8)* And here men who die receive tithes; but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.* (9)* And if I may say so, Levi, also, who receives tithes, paid tithes in Abraham.* (10)* For he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

A few Theories on Melchizedek;
    1. As the King of Salem literally his name means King or Prince of Peace. The name Melchizedek literally means King of Righteousness. some believe that because of this and the clues given in Hebrews that this was Jesus Christ present to interact with Abraham. Heb_7:2-3 Melchizedek also brings forward both bread and wine, is this an early form of Communion? Gen_14:18
    Schofield; Melchizedek, type of Christ the King-Priest. The type strictly applies to the priestly work of Christ in resurrection, since Melchizedek presents only the memorials of sacrifice, bread and wine. "After the order of Melchizedek" (Heb_6:20) refers to the royal authority and unending duration of Christ's high priesthood (Heb_7:23); (Heb_7:24). The Aaronic priesthood was often interrupted by death. Christ is a priest after the order of Melchizedek, as King of righteousness, King of peace; (Isa_11:4-9); (Heb_7:2) and in the endlessness of his priesthood; but the Aaronic priesthood typifies His priestly work.

Wesley The Rabbins say, that Melchizedek was Shem the son of Noah, who was king and priest to those that descended from him, according to the patriarchal model. Many Christian writers have thought that this was an appearance of the Son of God himself, our Lord Jesus, known to Abram at this time by this name. But as nothing is expressly revealed concerning it, we can determine nothing. He brought forth bread and wine - For the refreshment of Abram and his soldiers, and in congratulation of their victory. This he did as a king. As priest of the most high God he blessed Abram, which we may suppose a greater refreshment to Abram than his bread and wine were.

Every priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins. Heb 5.

Fasting cleanses the body of impurities, the rabbinical priests had to be physically pure.
    http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I would say absolutely not. I actually find the idea of any believer man or woman requiring any intercessor between themselves and God to be a bit repulsive. Having priests is one of the great heresies of the RCC. All persons in Christ as partakers in the New Covenant, regardless of any status, have a direct and personal relationship with God. Jesus Christ alone is the mediator of the New Covenant and is our High Priest.
    Think Heavenly
    Act Locally

Sing4Him Guest

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and his bones” (Eph. 5 v. 30).

You may ask, “Why does Christ care for us as He does? Why does He meet every need we have? Why is He so wonderfully caring? Why did He go through all the things he went through to provide everything for us as a sympathetic, loving, faithful, High Priest?” The answer is in v. 30: we are members of His body---His flesh and His bone. We’re one with Him. Not to provide for us would be not to provide for Himself. We are one with Christ.

1) “He that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit” (1 Cor. 6:17).

2) “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me” (Gal. 2:20)

3) “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body” (1 Cor. 12:13).

Because we are one with Christ, He will meet our needs.

Husbands, your wife is one with you. Not to meet her needs is to commit spiritual suicide, because you are one. People who violate their marriage destroy themselves.

The grace of God is amazing. God incorporates us into a body and says, “As Christ cares for His body, the church, and as a man cares for his own physical body, so is a husband to care for his wife---meeting for her needs and providing all that is necessary.” Men, God has a high view of women. They are to be exalted, honored, and lifted up. We’re to submit to meeting their needs---even if we must die doing it---and cause them to be pure, honored holy, and sanctified
    http://www.biblebb.com/files/mac/sg1947.htm

Preserved Guest

Ok, I get it. Please allow me to rephrase;
    What I really want to do is encourage the men of my church to study the Bible with their wives and children and provide leadership in that area. I want to help them to see that praying together as a team is far superior to praying seperatly (all the time) I do think we need some alone time with our father. But I can't deny the power of a praying Husband and Wife team.
    I did a Edwin Cole Study "Maximized Manhood", and it really transformed my relationship with my wife. When we started treating our relationship as if it were a single entity, dedicating our marriage to Him, Praying together, reading God's word together. Soon we both took off in our Spiritual walk.
    Don't get me wrong I do not believe that anyone needs to use us to interceed for them, after all Chirst died and tore the veil and allowed us all access to the Father. I know we all have the same place in the kingdom, I was just trying to spur some leadership from the men in the church (I think it is lacking Church wide).
    The women in our Church are doing a study of Beth Moore's on the Tabernacle, I am helping my wife and it is really pretty well put together.
    That is my goal here. Paul used Marriage as an example of our relationship with Christ. I know that there is a message for the husbands there and I just want to find the intent of the scripture so we as husbands and fathers can better serve our God, Family and Children.

Quote Originally Posted by Preserved View Post
    Ok, I get it. Please allow me to rephrase;
    What I really want to do is encourage the men of my church to study the Bible with their wives and children and provide leadership in that area. I want to help them to see that praying together as a team is far superior to praying seperatly (all the time) I do think we need some alone time with our father. But I can't deny the power of a praying Husband and Wife team.
    I did a Edwin Cole Study "Maximized Manhood", and it really transformed my relationship with my wife. When we started treating our relationship as if it were a single entity, dedicating our marriage to Him, Praying together, reading God's word together. Soon we both took off in our Spiritual walk.
    Don't get me wrong I do not believe that anyone needs to use us to interceed for them, after all Chirst died and tore the veil and allowed us all access to the Father. I know we all have the same place in the kingdom, I was just trying to spur some leadership from the men in the church (I think it is lacking Church wide).
    The women in our Church are doing a study of Beth Moore's on the Tabernacle, I am helping my wife and it is really pretty well put together.
    That is my goal here. Paul used Marriage as an example of our relationship with Christ. I know that there is a message for the husbands there and I just want to find the intent of the scripture so we as husbands and fathers can better serve our God, Family and Children.
    That's a relief! I saw that word priest and I kinda freaked out. What you posted is very thorough, but I can't see what it has to do with what you want. What you want is for the men to be a spiritual example to their families, and I don't think a priest is what you want. In the OT there were good priests and bad priests. Their main job was to intercede between man and God, not to serve as spiritual examples. Actually, I think the father was always to be the spiritual example to his children.

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
    Deu 6:5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
    Deu 6:6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
    Deu 6:7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
    Gen 18:18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.
    Gen 18:19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."
    Exo 12:25 When you enter the land that the LORD will give you as he promised, observe this ceremony.
    Exo 12:26 And when your children ask you, 'What does this ceremony mean to you?'
    Exo 12:27 then tell them, 'It is the Passover sacrifice to the LORD, who passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt and spared our homes when he struck down the Egyptians.'" Then the people bowed down and worshiped.
    Psa 78:4 We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.
    Psa 78:5 He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children,
    Psa 78:6 so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.
    Psa 78:7 Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.
    Eph 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
    Well I guess you see what I mean. It has always been one of the father's responsibilities to teach his children. There are probably a lot more scriptures than that. So, if it were me (which of course it isn't), I would save the priest stuff for another day and another study and just concentrate on what a Godly father should do. I didn't read all of the study that Sing4Him linked to, but what I read looked really good. I think that's the sort of study you really want. Sorry if I'm not a help. I just think the priest thing is the wrong way to go.
    Think Heavenly
    Act Locally

I would agree that priest language isn't what you are looking for as we are all priests in Christ; male and female. I would stick to the idea of the husbands being the leader of the family; leader meaning when there is an issue, dangerous or otherwise, the husbands are supposed to be the "first into the breach" or in other words, lead by example not in demanding, in love and respect, and with a willingness to lay down one's life for one's wife; as Christ leads us all (the foot washing scriptures show this perfectly, He did not order the apostles to serve one another, He got down on the floor and served them)...in fact, I often point out, many present husbands in the lead postion is a priveldge...well, it's more of a responsibility in reality.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Tio-Peregrino Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paidfor View Post
    It has always been one of the father's responsibilities to teach his children. There are probably a lot more scriptures than that. So, if it were me (which of course it isn't), I would save the priest stuff for another day and another study and just concentrate on what a Godly father should do. I didn't read all of the study that Sing4Him linked to, but what I read looked really good. I think that's the sort of study you really want. Sorry if I'm not a help. I just think the priest thing is the wrong way to go.
    Yes, and not just a father...but husbands have great responsibilities. In 1 Corinthians 11 we read about the hierarchy of responsibility. God will hold us responsible for our protection over our wives...and He won't listen to us if we're not treating them as we ought to (1 Peter 3:7).