Thread: How tell if Adobe Flash and Java download notices are real?

Default How tell if Adobe Flash and Java download notices are real?

Okay. Now I'm even more nervous than normal. We just recovered from the "Security Tool" virus (apparently got either from MySpace or a digital camera memory card (card was about 4 years old, but had never been put in a computer before). (And, no, we didn't click on any of the Security Tool boxes.)Had to buy a better PC security program to get rid of the Security Tool virus. Bought Norton 360 3.0 and it seems to have gotten all of it out. That was yesterday.

Today I turned on the computer and got a notice for an Adobe Flash Player update. It always makes me nervous when I see those update notices like for Adobe and Java.

Is the safest way to get those updates to go to the actual Adobe and Java main sites rather than click on update notices that show up on my computer? If so, how do I know that the Adobe or Java site is for real and not one of those fake sites that somebody sets up to look like the real thing and cause havoc?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

TeXaCo Guest

It's scary sometimes how careful you have to be on the net to keep your computer free from viruses.

With your present situation just getting over a virus I would be cautious about clicking on that as well although it probably is safe. It is safer to go to the actual website to get your downloads but you can also use this alternative.

http://www.filehippo.com/

This is a legitimate site to help people update their programs on their computer. They keep track of updates for tons of programs including java and flash and you can download the update directly from them and be assured it's free of any virus or spyware. I actually recommend their update checker that you can download here http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/FHSetup.exe

It installs on your computer and you can set it to auto check or manually check for updates for all kinds of programs that are installed on your comp and it will pull up a webpage showing any updates you might need and direct download links to them.

It's a great program.

TeXaco- I think you are right--the Adobe Flash update box has not come back, so I suspect it was somehow connected to the virus. Thank you very much for the update link info, too!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

TeXaCo Guest

Glad you got it solved