Thread: Greek word / meaning for paradise in Luke 23:43?

Default Greek word / meaning for paradise in Luke 23:43?

Short question I need help with:

What is the Greek word / meaning for paradise used in Luke 23:43? Is there another description for it? Where is this paradise? Is the Father there? My question pertains to where does a believer “go” when they die? I believe scripture says our spirit goes to the presence of the Lord, but I can’t seem to find it (2 Corinthians 5:6-8 ?)

Long version of above (why I need help):

I’m working with some Mormon’s ...

My approach has been focused on the following questions: How can we justify our sin before the Heavenly Father? Can we make ourselves holy enough to be in His presence? Can we do ‘enough’ good works? Can we follow the law and be justified in His sight? And, can we know now (with 100% certainty) if we are going to heaven?

Over our meetings I have used the following scriptures presented to them in this order: Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Matthew 5:22, James 2:10, Romans 3:19-28, John 3:15-18, John 5:24, Romans 10:1-13, Romans 7:6-1, Romans 8:1, Romans: 8:16-17, John 3:3-6, and Ephesians 2:8-9.

I believe we are sealed with the Holy Spirit at the moment we believe (Ephesians 1:13-14), and from that point on the Lord will not let anyone / anything take us from Him (John 10:28-30). I do believe we should follow our Lord’s instruction and be baptized, but I do not believe water baptism is a condition for our eternal salvation.

In our conversation today, one of the young men brought up water baptism (suggesting it is a requirement). I referred to the thief hanging on the cross next to Jesus (Luke 23:40-43), and asked if they thought the thief was saved.

They didn’t answer the question, but started talking about what they believe concerning where man goes when we die... They were side tracking on Jesus saying “...Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.”

I believe our spirit is immediately with the Lord when our body dies. Jesus called this “place” paradise while hanging on the cross.

I am slightly familiar with the “three heavens” system the Mormons believe, but don’t know enough about it. Our conversation took a quick turn in another direction, and I didn’t have to respond to where I know they were headed, but I’m sure it will come up in our next meeting.

Suggestions?
    2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

novembergirl Guest

I read in Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven" that paradise meant maintained looking gardens, exotic animals and such. He was saying nature wouldn't have the overgrowth of thickets and thorns and weeds like we are accustomed to. We will live in a place where we don't need to constantly prune and mow the grass all the time. I can't recall everything he said about it.

G3857
    παράδεισος
    paradeisos
    par-ad'-i-sos
    Of Oriental origin (compare [H6508]); a park, that is, (specifically) an Eden (place of future happiness, “paradise”): - paradise.

H6508
    פּרדּס
    pardês
    par-dace'
    Of foreign origin; a park: - forest, orchard.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Romans 8:38,39

Let me ask a different way. Where did Jesus go right after His physical body he died?Where was he for the 3 days?
    2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartReadyFleshWeak View Post
    Let me ask a different way. Where did Jesus go right after His physical body he died?Where was he for the 3 days?
    Jesus went to Hades/Sheol. He at least went to the Paradise / Abraham's bosom side of it anyway.

Typically, throughout earth's history, paradise has been considered wherever the believers/saints went after they died.

In OT it was Abraham's bosom. When Jesus died and rose again he got the OT saints out of there and took them to heaven.

Now, the Paradise side of Sheol is empty.

I hope I answered your question.
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Abraham's Bosom
    the part of hades where the righteous went at death before the resurrection

see this thread:

http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=Bosom

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Romans 8:38,39

Thanks ShowUsTheFather and Caveman!

I just read the entire thread, and I have a much better understanding now.

May God's peace be with you!