Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do methodist believe?

I grew up attending the United Methodist Church. When I was at Penn State, the pro-life organization on campus, of which I was a member, asked the University Methodist Church for permission to host a nationally known pro-life speaker in their facility. All the church needed to do was allow us to use the room--we were flying the speaker in and paying for accommodations, publicity, etc.. The church explained that they refused to allow us to use a room in their facility because they disagree with the pro-life position. A few weeks later the Hare Krishnas held a meeting in the same Methodist Church building. That's when I realized I'm not a Methodist.

I spent almost seven years in the United Methodist Church. Officially, it is moving towards apostasy, and I'm being kind. Really, they are already there.

Massive investment in the "social gospel," and anti-Israel, among other things.

The classic dead, lifeless church. Except that a fair amount of energy is dragging others toward unbelief.

Our grandson is 14 and now doesn't want to attend church (his family attends a UMC). This is very typical, and while this happens in other denominations of course, the UMC doesn't even give kids who leave the church a good grounding in the Bible.

The leadership is rotten almost to the core.

My wife grew up in a Methodist church, pre-United Methodist. She says when they became "United Methodists" it definitle changed. Prior to that they had tent revivals and such.
    I attended one with her for about seven years, then the pastor retired, stayed away for awhile to let the new pastor get settled in, but then the retired pastor started showing up in a Sunday School class. The more he talked, the more apparent it became that he was really a "Doubting Thomas." He didn't believe in the virgin birth, for one thing. That was just the start. It got to the point that we were asking ourselves what else he's been preaching about that he didn't really believe.
    The Methodists current motto is "Open hearts, open doors, open minds." Speaks volumes about what tigger said - the "many roads to God" mindset.

Like many mainstream denominations, they are becoming more and more of a "Sunday Morning Social Club". These churches are becoming Unitarians without admitting it.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

Just so I get other opinions and don't wall myself up in my own, can you all say for certain that at the very least there are small, rural, conservative Methodist churches that are still on track with the 5 fundamentals (and then some, if possible)? I hope it's true that some of us know a few that are doctrinally holding steadfast; whether rural or urban. Knowing that they are in submission to their managerial corrupters would still bother me but like I said earlier, I might still attend and get serious under the right conditions. Thanks for any responses that get shared.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    Are you talking United Methodist or Free Methodist?

what is a Free Methodist exactly believe

cause I was thinking of checking the one we have here out sometime cause a friend of mine goes there

the UMC churches I avoid here in my town cause they are either very liberal and pro-universalism

or they are seeker-driven or a combo of both
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

I attend a Methodist church most Sundays, and my Baptist preaching Uncle is the preacher . There wasn't a Methodist to fill the spot. With Methodist churches, you really have to just go and get a feel as to the congregation and the preacher; each is very different. As a whole the "Methodist church" is really messing up, and there may be a split in the future.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

ivote4Jesus Guest

My sister-in-law has attended the United Methodist Church all her life. I have attended a few times with her. Over the past year she told me that her church is changing. They have a VERY liberal assistant Pastor that half like and half do not like. Now the head Pastor is leaving and they are really having a time. She and others have had words with the assistant Pastor about his liberal views. She said they are afraid the church may split.

Quote Originally Posted by NotHomeYet View Post
    Hi guys, I grew up in the Methodist Church and the one thing I can agree with Mark on is the message of repentance of sins. Noone ever asked me if I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart and to forgive my sins. I never heard this until I attended an AOG church as an adult.
    Just my thoughts:

Methodist originally were Aminians -- obverse to the Calvinists, they believed that 1) you CAN receive Christ as Savior or do anything God commands you to do; 2) but that being the case, you CAN lose your salvation as well. 3) Therefore, they are into "perfectionism" either by a "2nd blessing" or a "attitude adjustment" (my term here) wherein you can attain to a "perfect" life.

Like many of the liberal churches, they don't preach much "expositorally" -- line-by-line, verse-by-verse. In fact, the ones I am familiar with preach mostly anecdotally on scripture. And recently their pastor was asked to read an OT passage at a funeral thereby refusing that man's dying wish (still got to inquire about that one).

Like the Reformers, I believe they don't invite people to receive Christ on account of they think that those who join the church are the ones who are saved -- kinda a "kingdom = visible church" thing wherein they are getting the "kingdom" ready for the return of the King, the 2nd advent, not the rapture. And like the majority of Protestants, they don't know much if anything about eschatology -- only that Jesus is coming back one day but not soon.

skypair

Tres Wright Guest

I grew up going to a United Methodist Church in the 60's & 70's. Even back then it was incredibly liberal. Looking back, what I remember about the message there would fit squarely under today's definition of "New Age". God is us, we are God, we're forgiven so can do whatever we want to do without repercussions, that kind of stuff. There was no emphasis on studying the Word. We went to a few feel-good classes and then were made members of the church. I spent the next 20 or so years believing I had a solid understanding of faith and a proper walk with Christ. Then I started reading Scripture and learned just how far I had been straying all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Just so I get other opinions and don't wall myself up in my own, can you all say for certain that at the very least there are small, rural, conservative Methodist churches that are still on track with the 5 fundamentals (and then some, if possible)? I hope it's true that some of us know a few that are doctrinally holding steadfast; whether rural or urban. Knowing that they are in submission to their managerial corrupters would still bother me but like I said earlier, I might still attend and get serious under the right conditions. Thanks for any responses that get shared.
    Yes there are some out there because I go to one. But I do think it goes according to the Pastor. We have a good old fashioned one, along with an old fashioned congregation. I called a gal I know,( very good Christian and a very verbal Christian) that goes to our church, after reading this thread and asked her if she felt our church was as this thread described. I read a few of the posts and she said, yes that describes the Methodist conference bigwigs, but it does not describe our church. Our Pastor and congreation still stick to the Bible. we have that to be thankful for, should our Pastor ever retire, as he is old enough to do so, then who knows what we will get.

tigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Its just like anything else, you got to use discernment, discernment and discernment. Like another poster said though, if they belong to the conference then a portion of any money tithed will go to help the Palestinians and against Israel.

I know I made the right choice to leave my church. A few weeks after leaving I found out that the pastor tried to participate in the gay rights thing in April where they refuse to speak all day to support the homosexuals and lesbians. The pastor wasn't able to keep quiet all day as duties didn't permit but I was at a college thing for my daughter that day. she was there talking to some of the college kids about it and I heard her discussing it with them.

DH, the girls & I, attended UMC for years mostly due to DH being raised UMC, my dear FIL is a retired minister every message he preached was straight from the Bible. However the last two UMC churches that DH, the girls & I attended. Where not Biblical sound in the first one this no joke the "minister" would read Winnie the Pooh books, then try to relate to something in the Bible. On a weekly bases I would get into debates with the adult Sunday school "teacher". He would make comments like he felt that Jesus walked through hell to give people a second chance to Heaven. Then I, wasn't sure what DD1 was being taught in her SS class. So we left there & went to another church that was well grounded in the Bible. The last one we left we felt that we were only a number on there membership roll, the messages from the "minister" were not anything to get excited about. Never once at either of those churches do I or DH recall alter call being given. Every Sunday at the church we attend now there is an alter call given, the minister preaches Biblical truths. It feels good to be a Church were God's word is the most important thing to the minister. The messages aren't tinkle the eaars, it's hard hitting facts from the word of God. DH & I, have talked since we have been at this church for a little over a year that we really feel that this were God wants us. We couldn't ask for a more loving church family, they not only walk the walk & talk the talk but also show it in their actions.

bookworm1711 Guest

I was saved in part due to the influence of the Methodist church I attended as a teenager in the early 1950s. The church I went to was sound on the Bible, and had a good pastor. The local Methodist headquarters was upset because our church did not use the Methodist Sunday school curriculum, but lesson materials (Sunday school quarterlies) from Bible believing publishers like Scripture Press. Headquarters attempted to force us to use their material. They came and met with the Sunday school department superintendents, and the pastor also invited me to attend the meeting at his home.

Right off the bat I sensed the person who came from the local headquarters was not sound in Bible doctrine. I asked him straight out, "Do you believe in the virgin birth of Christ?" He refused to affirm in our presence that he did.

At least while I was attending this church, it remained sound and solid as a rock, squarely resting upon the Bible alone.

Now I've moved way out to the country. I have attended small country Methodist churches near here. They appear to be sound, but it all depends upon the current pastor as well as the makeup of the congregation.

One thing I don't like about the policy of the Methodist denomination is that they seem to arbitrarily move their pastors around, so if you happen to be blessed with a good one, they may move him elsewhere and replace him with someone not as good, or vice versa. I've noticed other denominations, like the Christian and Missionary Alliance, have a similar policy. I totally disagree with such a policy, so if I discover that is the policy in a church or denomination, I refuse to get involved and go elsewhere.

Too bad there are not very many, perhaps there are no, churches which are based only upon the Bible itself and not affiliated in any way with any denomination.

There were no denominations in the book of Acts!

I personally believe in going only by the Bible itself, and I do not believe in any denominational churches or "religion" for myself or my family. We've been "stung" too many times by their failure to obey Psalm 25:9 and Romans 15:7.

Tonia39 Guest

Default I'm a United Methodist

But our congregation and pastor in the small Kentucky community that we live in:

Support Israel - we've held prayer vigils for Israel on our front lawn.
    Love the Jewish People
    Believe in the Virgin Birth
    Know that Jesus is the only way to Heaven
    Do not believe that we can work our way into Salvation, nor that works are required to achieve Salvation in the first place
    Believe that when we are "absent from body" we are "present with the Lord" (although I think there are a few closet "soul sleeper" adherents)

I would say that some of the old timers in the congregation are of the "you can cast away your salvation" camp, but I would say that a fair percentage of the folks believe that once you are TRULY saved, you are always saved. And it's been my experience in our church that the congregation understands that only the Lord can know who is saved and who isn't, thus we don't make assessments on the status of each other's salvation at our church. No finger shaking, we're all sinners saved by grace.

Our Pastor and Sunday School teachers definitely emphasize the need to be "born again," and we practice adult baptism with sprinkling, pouring, or immersion ... your choice. I've never seen an infant baptised at our church.

I guess my point is the same as everyone else's ... with Methodists, it really depends on the church/congregation. We're very conservative on social issues at our church, and generally in complete disagreement with the UMC big wigs. We've had the same pastor for 11 years now ... I think the conference knows better than to send some liberal to us. We'd ride him out on a rail and split from the UMC all together!

To the OP, I would ascertain from the sweet little old lady what her congregation/pastor stance is on the rapture and on Israel, see if you can get the gist of what a few of his past sermons have been on, then if it all seems on the right track, give it a try for a few Sundays. Some of us shoutin' Methodists are still o.k.

I don't know what they're doing today, but some of my fondest memories are of
    my Sunday school classes and plays at the Methodist Church I belonged to (early 70's) as a child.
    Far as I remember they taught the literal Bible at a level we could understand.
    There were a couple of women in particular I'll simply never forget for that early and critical seeding.

My parents have two Methodist churches in their small city. They are both Biblical. My parents are attending a Revelation Bible study class now. They teach the Rapture and eternal salvation.

My small town has two churches that lead people to salvation. One is Methodist. It is up on a mountain. The other is Presbyterian. It is down on the flat. We live on the flat, and go to the Presbyterian. Both are excellent Bible based churches.
    Micah 6:8 (NIV)
    8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Adele Rose Guest

Default I want to know more about your church >name, Pastor and telephone number

Quote Originally Posted by Tonia39 View Post
    But our congregation and pastor in the small Kentucky community that we live in:

Support Israel - we've held prayer vigils for Israel on our front lawn.
    Love the Jewish People
    Believe in the Virgin Birth
    Know that Jesus is the only way to Heaven
    Do not believe that we can work our way into Salvation, nor that works are required to achieve Salvation in the first place
    Believe that when we are "absent from body" we are "present with the Lord" (although I think there are a few closet "soul sleeper" adherents)

I would say that some of the old timers in the congregation are of the "you can cast away your salvation" camp, but I would say that a fair percentage of the folks believe that once you are TRULY saved, you are always saved. And it's been my experience in our church that the congregation understands that only the Lord can know who is saved and who isn't, thus we don't make assessments on the status of each other's salvation at our church. No finger shaking, we're all sinners saved by grace.

Our Pastor and Sunday School teachers definitely emphasize the need to be "born again," and we practice adult baptism with sprinkling, pouring, or immersion ... your choice. I've never seen an infant baptised at our church.

I guess my point is the same as everyone else's ... with Methodists, it really depends on the church/congregation. We're very conservative on social issues at our church, and generally in complete disagreement with the UMC big wigs. We've had the same pastor for 11 years now ... I think the conference knows better than to send some liberal to us. We'd ride him out on a rail and split from the UMC all together!

To the OP, I would ascertain from the sweet little old lady what her congregation/pastor stance is on the rapture and on Israel, see if you can get the gist of what a few of his past sermons have been on, then if it all seems on the right track, give it a try for a few Sundays. Some of us shoutin' Methodists are still o.k.
    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1131...-believe/page2
    November 4th, 2009 09:04 AM ---post #34

Tonia 39, I got to this website by chance while searching for like-minded UMC churches who believe as I do > belief in eschatology and a heart for Israel. Some of the leadership in the UMC that I am currently attending are fearful and possibly resentful as well, that I will teach eternal security and the Rapture to the young people who accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord & Savior after sharing the gospel with them. Perhaps it will strengthen my case and open their eyes if I can build a list of other United Methodist Churches who believe as I do. My hope and prayer is for the renewal of the UMC. I think I belong in the camp of George Whitefield, John Wesley's good friend. They parted ways because of doctrinal differences.

As a Methodist I am thrilled to know that I am not alone in my doctrinal belief. I need to know more about your Church > name, Pastor and telephone number. God bless, kindred United Methodist Christian and a sister in the Lord.
    Adele Rose
    2/11/11 4:11 pm

MartyN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Used to attend one. They are falling into the emergent, WOF, all roads to God stuff. The higher ups are against Israel. In our local one, they even did the walking the labyrinth and meditating stuff. I finally left when in sermon I heard preaching in favor of all roads lead to God, we are all little God's ect. Overall its getting farther and farther from God. You may find a local church that has a good solid biblical preacher but for the most part, you wont find solid biblical teaching in a Methodist church these days.
    Oh my! I hadn't thought things were anywhere near that bad in the denoms. After reading all this, I
    Guess I have been "away " too long from any association with them.

That's pitiful!
    As an ex-catholic I HAVE been aware that "Protestantism" was no longer a place for a saved Catholic to go when they leave the Catholic Church.

I advise any such to find what are usually regarded as BIBLE CHURCHES.

Quote Originally Posted by PSK View Post
    Wow! I am a United Methodist and the things you all are describing does not fit my little country church at all. My church is out in the middle of no where, but only a mile from my home, so that is the main reason I go there. We only have about 30 people attending each Sunday, most are senior citizens, very old school people. Our Pastor definitely preaches from the Bible. I do agree that the Methodist bigwigs have gotten very liberal but it doesn't mean that your Pastor is liberal or your church either. If, by any chance it gets that way, I will be out of there. Other churches to choose from around here are Luthern, and Catholic. I don't care to go there either.
    I do wish our Pastor would preach on Prophesy however and he does not!
    I think the Pastor of the Church Denomination you attend makes the difference. I have noticed in my own denomination. The Pastor in our Church and the two churches nearby are good shepherds standing on the Bible and not comprmising the gospel. However if you go to the same denomination a few suburbs away you get some very free thinking liberal sermons from the pastors in the same denomination as ours.

I don't think it is a matter of what the denomination teaches or believes anymore but the Pastor in each individual Church will either be of the Lord or not. We have to listen to what is preached from the pulpit and compare it to the scriptures as the Bereans did when they were listening to Paul preach.

Of course the Catholic & Eastern Orthodox Churches don't give much wriggle room when it comes to what their priests teach. The doctrines of these Churches are enforced throughout all their Churches. I am primarily talking about Protestant or modern day non-denominational Churches where each Pastor or Minister has a lot of room in what they teach at their own Churches.

I have a problem with churches that baptize a baby. I realize that water baptism doesn't wash away your sins. It is the blood of Jesus. A baby isn't old enough to sin so this isn't scriptural. We need to be saved & water baptism is after being saved. I am a Christian & that is what I call myself. Denominationally speaking I am Baptist. Even Jesus was baptized by his cousin John The Baptist. The most important issue in churches is that they are teaching being born again.
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice