Thread: Jesus standing

Default Jesus standing

We are told that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God but at the stoning of Stephen Jesus is standing. Why did Jesus get up? Does He stand to greet each one of us? Is there more meaning to this that I am not seeing?

Your thoughts...........
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.

To stand or 'arise' in Scripture means (in addition to literally standing up) to initiate some sort of activity or project.

There are a number of texts where someone calls upon God to 'arise' and do something. In some cases, it's to arise and save us (Psalm 3:7); sometimes it's to arise and judge (Psalm 82:8). In either case, the idea is that God is springing into action, so to speak.

samuel Guest

Psalm 68:1 Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate
    him flee before him.

Quote Originally Posted by PcBStl View Post
    We are told that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God but at the stoning of Stephen Jesus is standing. Why did Jesus get up? Does He stand to greet each one of us? Is there more meaning to this that I am not seeing?

Your thoughts...........
    I always believed that since Jesus is our advocate to the Father,that he"STOOD" up for Stephen because Stephen was one of his own.That is an amazing thought that our Lord will stand up to receive his own,with arms wide open.Kinda like the picture in this post!
    John 14:16 -17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah View Post
    In either case, the idea is that God is springing into action, so to speak.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

I thank all of you so much.
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.

Makes you wonder what God does in heaven. Does he just sit all the time, or does he get up and do things to.

Isaiah 3:13

The LORD standeth up to plead, and standeth to judge the people.
    Hebrews 11:3

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.