Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Dieting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieting

I sure could use some friendly camaraderie with other ladies trying to lose a few extra pounds. I'm a little overweight and it's making me feel so sluggish. Huge stressors over the last few years have caused me to go from 132 lbs to ... not going there.

Anyone else dieting now? I've lost 5 lbs in a week, but I have a terrible headache every night. My health-conscious daughter says I'm not eating enough. I try not to go over 1200 calories a day, and sometimes cut it off at 1000. That seems sufficient to me. Any insight?

Also, the "ideal weight" for my height is 110 lbs. I would look like a stick at that weight. What's up with that?
    Bible prophecy is not given to scare us, but to prepare us.

sigpic

In the past, I have had weight loss success at Diet Center as well as Weight Watcher's, but in the end, it's the person who determines whether or not to lose the weight. It sounds as if you are doing this on your own and doing very well at that. Happy for you.
    As long as you are eating a balanced diet, that's all that matters. People here in the US have come to think of 'lots' of food, super-sized fast-food orders, as the 'norm.' What you are doing is healthy. I'd stay with it if it's working so well, as it appears to be. As you know, there are some good websites where you can track your eating, weight loss, join a forum, etc., if you ever feel like you need to continue the journey with others. I have done this with online Weight Watcher's, but there are some free sites that offer a comparable online weight loss supportive program.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/landing_l...FRCRaQod6XUK7Q
    sigpic
    -Lynn

Comment

Hi! My norm weight for height is 120 and I've been about 10-15 lbs over for the last year. I honestly wouldn't care too much (because my husband doesn't mind) but I have metal in my right ankle, pins in left foot, and metal in my back, and so even 10-15 lbs can cause those areas to hurt What I've found that works for me is to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. I try to do an exercise where I can do intervals. That really makes me sweat! I also try to do an abs work out every day. "Try" is the key word. I tend to go through seasons when I'm very diligent and then the next week I just want to eat and sit around all day! But back to the workout I try to get in 3 days a week of lifting weights as well. I don't go too crazy with it because I don't want big muscles, but I find that I burn fat areas when I increase the muscle. That's probably not the scientific term to use but that's my way of seeing it.

I drink lots of water. And (when I'm really watching my food intake) I don't eat sugary food, breads, or anything processed. It's difficult though because we really enjoy cooking and eating! My husband is an amazing cook and doesn't think about "fat content" or "calories". I do know that after I eat processed foods or rich desserts I feel sick to my stomach, so I try not to give into the temptation...since I know I'll just feel ill.

Do you have a good workout buddy? I've found that when I have someone to help keep me accountable and to exercise with it's a lot easier to stay diligent...and then I stay in good shape. Since moving I haven't found anyone in this area who's really into fitness...so I've slacked.

Comment

I have a couple strikes against me:
        a couple of my medications are known to cause weight gain.
        I work with junk food.

I had good success on low carb, lost about 50 pounds both times. Started it a 3rd time, lost 20, had a nuke dropped on my life, went into bad eating, ate my way up to 250.

I am down to about 225 now after I got sick and couldn't eat. I am not doing low carb again by the book, I can't maintain it long term.

I have done this before and it worked: since I am very active and a higher weight I burn about 3000 calories a day. I decided to cut 1000 calories a day, and keep it around 2000. I also try to keep it under 100 carbs a day. It seems to work pretty well and it gives me room to "cheat" if I want.

I haven't really been on plan but I am willing to keep ya'll posted as I get back on. I am having some joint pain I am sure relates to my weight.

I don't know how far I can lose due to my medications, but I just want to get to something healthier. Clothing sizes are a bad idea because everyone has a different size.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
        'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
        I get my Bibles here

Comment

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
          I had good success on low carb, lost about 50 pounds both times. Started it a 3rd time, lost 20, had a nuke dropped on my life, went into bad eating, ate my way up to 250.

I am down to about 225 now after I got sick and couldn't eat. I am not doing low carb again by the book, I can't maintain it long term.

I have done this before and it worked: since I am very active and a higher weight I burn about 3000 calories a day. I decided to cut 1000 calories a day, and keep it around 2000. I also try to keep it under 100 carbs a day. It seems to work pretty well and it gives me room to "cheat" if I want.
          I haven't really been on plan but I am willing to keep ya'll posted as I get back on. I am having some joint pain I am sure relates to my weight.
          I don't know how far I can lose due to my medications, but I just want to get to something healthier. Clothing sizes are a bad idea because everyone has a different size.
          Sounds like an excellent plan, Heather. When anyone here at RR succeeds in weight loss or meeting any other challenge in their life, it's nice to hear about it and give them a big
          We look forward to a bit of feedback on this, as you are inclined.
          I 'bolded' your comment about not being able to maintain low-carb long term, because I think that happens to everyone. Our bodies need more carbs than what the typical low-carb diet allows, and that's not generally enough. Therefore, we tend to go off the program after awhile, because our bodies are needing more carbs.
          sigpic
          -Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
            In the past, I have had weight loss success at Diet Center as well as Weight Watcher's, but in the end, it's the person who determines whether or not to lose the weight. It sounds as if you are doing this on your own and doing very well at that. Happy for you.
            As long as you are eating a balanced diet, that's all that matters. People here in the US have come to think of 'lots' of food, super-sized fast-food orders, as the 'norm.' What you are doing is healthy. I'd stay with it if it's working so well, as it appears to be. As you know, there are some good websites where you can track your eating, weight loss, join a forum, etc., if you ever feel like you need to continue the journey with others. I have done this with online Weight Watcher's, but there are some free sites that offer a comparable online weight loss supportive program.
            http://www.sparkpeople.com/landing_l...FRCRaQod6XUK7Q
            Yes, it's the (un)discipline that often derails me. I didn't know Weight Watchers had an online program. I'll look into that.

Originally posted by Koalie View Post
            Hi! My norm weight for height is 120 and I've been about 10-15 lbs over for the last year. I honestly wouldn't care too much (because my husband doesn't mind) but I have metal in my right ankle, pins in left foot, and metal in my back, and so even 10-15 lbs can cause those areas to hurt What I've found that works for me is to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. I try to do an exercise where I can do intervals. That really makes me sweat! I also try to do an abs work out every day. "Try" is the key word. I tend to go through seasons when I'm very diligent and then the next week I just want to eat and sit around all day! But back to the workout I try to get in 3 days a week of lifting weights as well. I don't go too crazy with it because I don't want big muscles, but I find that I burn fat areas when I increase the muscle. That's probably not the scientific term to use but that's my way of seeing it.

I drink lots of water. And (when I'm really watching my food intake) I don't eat sugary food, breads, or anything processed. It's difficult though because we really enjoy cooking and eating! My husband is an amazing cook and doesn't think about "fat content" or "calories". I do know that after I eat processed foods or rich desserts I feel sick to my stomach, so I try not to give into the temptation...since I know I'll just feel ill.

Do you have a good workout buddy? I've found that when I have someone to help keep me accountable and to exercise with it's a lot easier to stay diligent...and then I stay in good shape. Since moving I haven't found anyone in this area who's really into fitness...so I've slacked.
            My husband doesn't care either. He's not exactly in a place to point fingers. LOL. My hubby is also a good cook and his favorite food is fried food. It's sooo hard. Thankfully, with the onset of warmer weather, I hope to start walking daily. I don't have a "workout buddy", but my daughter has offered to assist by planning my daily menus. Though she is insisting that I'm not eating enough, that my body will go into "starvation mode" and I'll end up gaining more weight than I lost.

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
            I have a couple strikes against me:
            a couple of my medications are known to cause weight gain.
            I work with junk food.

Yep. I'm on a few anti-depressants and my doctor says that that is likely the main culprit for my weight gain. So I don't know...do I take the meds, which aids in lifting some of my depression or do I not take the meds and lose the weight? I've concluded that I need to stay on my meds for my mental health and just find a way to lose and maintain. It's hard though when you have medications working against you.
            Bible prophecy is not given to scare us, but to prepare us.

sigpic

Comment

I don't want to be skinny, mean, hallucinating, delusional, and suicidal. My choice is pretty simple!

I have gotten down to around 170. I am fairly muscled in my legs so I think that is reasonable for me.

I may add a paleo aspect to my diet and avoid dairy and grains altogether, just getting my carbs from fruit and veggies. I'll see how it goes.

I got a migraine today (partly hormones, partly medication) so I am looking for a way of eating that can help prevent that.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Sounds like you have gotten off to a great start! Paleo might be good, short-term. Been looking over it myself.
                sigpic
                -Lynn

Comment

Paleo is a great diet but it was difficult (at least for me.) I like my carbs too much.

Every other day I try to make a little plate of cut up veggies and fruit to keep on our kitchen island. By mid day it's gone as the family walks by and grabs a piece or two. I find that if I keep the healthy stuff, like fruits and veggies, already cut up I don't eat the junk food near as much.

About ten years ago I was having horrendous abdominal pain that would send me to the ER and none of the hospitals or doctors could figure it out. I got misdiagnosed so many times and put on medications. One of them was an antidepressant that was suppose to numb the nerves of the bowel. It made me gain 75 pounds! I couldn't believe it! Thankfully it only took me about a year to lose it again (I was young then so losing it wasn't as hard as it is now) but it was crazy how much stinking weight the med made me gain!
                  It turned out to be my appendix. It would rupture and then my body would try to heal itself (capsulate) and then it would rupture and so on...It was an intense two years! When they finally decided to open me up and found that it was my appendix it was five times its regular size with chunks missing out of it and it has ruptured so many times that it dropped out of its place and attached to other areas of my insides (bowel and ovary.)
                  Hope I didn't share too much just to say I understand the medication aspect of weight gain!

That's great that your daughter is helping you! And I agree with her about the starvation mode thing. I've read about that and also seen it with my mother in law who struggles with weight. She'll drink seven diet sodas a day and not eat much. :/

Comment

Diet sodas make me hungry. Tonight I tried a cut up (tiny) lime in 2 quarts of water. When I got down about halfway I added more water. It has flavor and is cold. It isn't making me have cravings. I also got some organic lemons too.

I think small things like that are doable long term. Saying I will only ever drink water is unrealistic, but water with some cut up fruit is doable.

Lithium, which I take, is a huge diuretic and I have to drink about 2 gallons a day to stay healthy.

I also got some veggies I enjoy (sugar snap peas, celery sticks) and will work on those with every meal too.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

A friend asked me to do Whole 30 with her. Eating only whole foods for 30 days, no sugar (watch labels), no flour, or grains. Only tree nuts, meat, natural fruits and vegetables. I lost 20 lbs, but that wasn't my goal. I have never been a healthy eater, I like junk 😀, and I have been fortunate to be healthy. I wanted to support my friend and see if I would feel different. The first 17 days were tough, and by the last week I was very done with restrictions. I have been 'normal' eating for 2 weeks. I don't feel as good and am very happy to start whole 30 once again! My husband has lost more than me and he did it to support me, now he wants to stay with it! My blood pressure is lower and my chloesterol went from 222 down to 157. I like eating whole foods, no pills, no prepackaged foods, this is something I can stick with. Fruits are sweeter and more vibrant tasting than when I was drinking soda everyday and sugary foods. I don't think I will be as strict as the first 30 days, but mostly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 3jsmom View Post
                        A friend asked me to do Whole 30 with her. Eating only whole foods for 30 days, no sugar (watch labels), no flour, or grains. Only tree nuts, meat, natural fruits and vegetables. I lost 20 lbs, but that wasn't my goal. I have never been a healthy eater, I like junk , and I have been fortunate to be healthy. I wanted to support my friend and see if I would feel different. The first 17 days were tough, and by the last week I was very done with restrictions. I have been 'normal' eating for 2 weeks. I don't feel as good and am very happy to start whole 30 once again! My husband has lost more than me and he did it to support me, now he wants to stay with it! My blood pressure is lower and my chloesterol went from 222 down to 157. I like eating whole foods, no pills, no prepackaged foods, this is something I can stick with. Fruits are sweeter and more vibrant tasting than when I was drinking soda everyday and sugary foods. I don't think I will be as strict as the first 30 days, but mostly anyway.
                        Thanks, 3jsmom, for mentioning this eating plan. I must live under a rock , as I had not heard of it until I read your post. I printed a pdf copy of it and will look over it further, if it looks like something I could actually 'do'. Glad to hear it really worked well for you and your dh. That's very encouraging.
                        sigpic
                        -Lynn

Comment

I have had to watch my weight since I was 18. I am now 59 and weigh 106 lbs....small frame....and 5'3". I believe you are getting headaches because you are not eating enough food. 1000 calories is not enough. After a while your body will think it is starving and you will quit losing weight on 1000 calories and have to go down to 900 to lose. You will get discouraged, blow your diet, and yo-yo back up. Losing five pounds in one week is not good. You need to lose weight slowly. My suggestion to you is to go up to 1400 calories each day. At first you will gain a few pounds back that you lost. However, after three days on 1400 calories, you will stop gaining. On day four, drop to 1200 calories. You will lose some weight. The next day go up to 1300 calories....then back up to 1400 for the remaining days. Repeat each week until you lose the weight....take your time to maintain good health.
                          Drop all sugar.....eat whole fruits....not smoothies! Eat vegetables....lean meat.....Not alot of meat.....nuts...these are good when you are feeling hungry...eat 1/4 cup. Drink lots of water to keep hydrated...no diet pop of any kind....no artificial sweeteners. Limit bread to 1 or 2 servings per day. Pasta and rice count as bread... One serving of pasta or rice is 1/2 cup. Not only will you lose weight, you will feel great!
                          This is my contribution to your success....take care, UntilHeComes

Comment

I like the sound of the Whole 30 diet! ! ! I would be willing to do that.
                            I wanted to tell you that when I'm on a health kick and exercising regularly, and honestly feeling great while I'm doing it, I make myself green smoothies. I use banana, strawberries, blueberries, plain yogurt, spinach, and some coconut milk. I will have those instead of lunch. I buy a lot of spinach and when I see that it's going to go bad soon I'll put it in a freezer bag and toss it in the freezer. Works great for smoothies!

Comment

Yes, Koalie, I will often freeze our spinach, too, and I always freeze the kale. It works great in smoothies with fruits, berries, and yogurt like you describe. In fact, there is a healthy version of the Shamrock shakes that McDonald sells each March. It uses an avocado, and it's delicious! Probably not on Whole30 eating plan, however.
                              sigpic
                              -Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X