X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another menopause question

OK - what's with the crying?

Crying at everything.

It's not depression, my mood is fine, but it's like everything turns the tap.

Did you get this?

I do see Doc next week and will ask about it.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Hi Acts!

Just replying because no one else has yet. I haven't been through menopause yet and I don't think I'm starting it or anything like that, so I'm not sure as to crying related to menopause.

I can tell you though that I have always been one to cry at the drop of a hat. I try not to. It's embarrassing. But a tv show, a movie, sometimes even a commercial will bring tears to my eyes. I'm a huge crier. I think that when God made me He accidentally put 3 people's worth of emotion into 1. My emotions have always been crazy and out of control. Not fun. But also, there are good things about it. I'm very caring and attuned to others and can read others well. I've been able to help others because of it. And so that is a good thing.

Comment

I was VERY emotional prior to my diagnosis.

I have not been "emotional" like that since I started my medication, and that's a very good thing. I cried when my Dad was sick, my husband was awful, or my cat died, stuff like that. What I consider "normal" levels of emotion.

Now, I'm crying at commercials. All of them. It's embarrassing. I know my meds are right, I'm very level otherwise, I am assuming it has to be hormonal in nature.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

I have been through menopause and though crying was not a symptom for me I know that it is for some women.

I am adding, however, that for the past couple years or more I have prayed that our Lord would give me a more compassionate heart, and I think He has because for the past six months it seems it takes very little to make me teary-eyed now. I would much rather think that for me this is an answer to prayer than a revisit of those really weird years. I don't think I've been affected by any commercials so far.

If your meds are good then it's probably 'that time of life' as they say. I'm told it's much harder on the hubbies since we ladies don't know we're acting crazy. I think for me the worst that I'm aware of and remember was being hot all the time. I would turn the thermostat down so low that the windows in the house were fogged up every morning, and my husband claimed he was freezing. Sadly, I didn't even care...I just needed to be cooled down. Hormones! Our Creator really has a sense of humor, wouldn't you say?

Maranatha!
        Ph 3:15 (paraphrased):...And if on some point you and I think differently, that too God will make clear to us. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Comment

Lol! Yes, a great sense of humor.

I guess I have all of that to look forward to on top of the usual 'stuff' I always deal with. Oh well. Bring it on! (Seriously though Lord, not too much, ok?)

I've never been diagnosed bipolar, but have wondered. I used to experience 'spells' I guess I'll call them which lasted for months on end in which I would just be so happy. But not regular happy, just so happy and like my mind was not my own and I would go out and do crazy things and couldn't really control it.... like shopping, behaving in way TOO much of a sexual way, just in general pretty reckless behavior. It would inevitably come to an end and then I would do things such as cut myself because the bad feelings were overwhelming me and I felt I needed to punish myself. I was very much a complete nut. That was before I was saved and I don't have the desire to do those things anymore. I still have plenty of ups and downs though. And sometimes my feelings are so overwhelming I don't know what to do with them, like there is no outlet to let them out. It's difficult to explain.

Comment

Well, I don't think I have hit the emotional roller-coaster yet, but then I think I'm still in peri-meno and that part hasn't started. I have had two hot flashes (near as I can tell, anyway), and headaches are more frequent and can sometimes be strong and all over my head. The first hot flash I had was at night. I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest, it felt like it was going so fast, and I had woken up with sweat between me and the pillow I tend to hug while I sleep. All I knew to do was to lie as still as I could and breathe as slowly as possible until I cooled down and my heart rate returned to normal. I had another one the other night, after an all-day headache. Has anyone else had anything like that? Is that typical of a hot flash?
            "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Comment

Originally posted by Musician in His house View Post
              Well, I don't think I have hit the emotional roller-coaster yet, but then I think I'm still in peri-meno and that part hasn't started. I have had two hot flashes (near as I can tell, anyway), and headaches are more frequent and can sometimes be strong and all over my head. The first hot flash I had was at night. I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest, it felt like it was going so fast, and I had woken up with sweat between me and the pillow I tend to hug while I sleep. All I knew to do was to lie as still as I could and breathe as slowly as possible until I cooled down and my heart rate returned to normal. I had another one the other night, after an all-day headache. Has anyone else had anything like that? Is that typical of a hot flash?
              Doesn't sound like it to me. You may need to consult your doctor just in case it's something else.
              Ph 3:15 (paraphrased):...And if on some point you and I think differently, that too God will make clear to us. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Comment

Does a hot flash feel like a sudden fever at all? I'm 43 and haven't had one of those yet (I don't think) but I have had headaches, and fibroids, cysts, etc...Dr gave me a progestin type drug but it gave me a racing heart at night and very dry mouth, so I had to stop taking it.

As for the crying..I'm not sure...I've heard some are prone to that when hormones fluctuate a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dove10 View Post
                  Does a hot flash feel like a sudden fever at all?
                  YES that is exactly what mine feel like... I'm sitting there minding my own business when all of a sudden it's like a high fever has hit. I never knew hot flashes could be so annoying. I've always been cold-natured, but when the hot flashes started a couple of years ago suddenly I knew why everybody hates them! I walked into the kitchen the other day where my 15 year old son was. I said, "Wow, it is so HOT in here how can you STAND it??!!" and immediately turned the thermostat down and the ceiling fan on. My son looked at me like I was crazy and said, "What is WRONG with you?? Do you have typhoid fever or something?!?" "NO," I said, "Do you even know what that IS??" And he admitted he didn't. Boys!!

Musician, I don't think my heart races with them though, at least not as you describe, although it is normal for me to wake up with them. I agree that you might want to get that checked just to be sure. (I actually found a couple of supplements that have helped lessen the hot flashes but will get in trouble if I post them, so I won't.)

Back to the original question though, I do remember my grandmother saying she used to have crying spells when she went through "the change," so it is normal for some women. I get it a little, but keep it under control. Pretty much.

Comment

Yeah, like I stuck my head in an oven. They have been better since I started taking some supplements (can't talk about it, board rules).

Tiffany, I would talk to a doctor about that. Some red flags there.

Doc and I were more into talking about the invisible bugs. It was pretty funny actually. He had a medical student. She's like "Oh, you get a little tingling on your skin?"

"No. It feels like giant roaches crawling on my skin."

"What?"

"Yeah, crawling, all over my feet, and I look and nothing's there."

Well, he's a crazy doc! What did she expect?

Doc said to go up on my antipsychotic (which has very few side effects except I got a much bigger chest. ).

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Hmmm. I never felt like bugs were on me. Is that part of bipolar or is that more of the schizophrenia?

Only time that happened to me was when Ang was 4 and somehow she got lice. I would see those nasty little things and became very convinced they were in my hair too. I felt like they were crawling around on my head. They were so HARD to get rid of. Nothing worked. Finally, for 2 weeks straight, I put her in the bath every night, soaked her hair with olive oil, covered it all up with plastic wrap for 1/2 hour, and then took it out and brushed through with a lice comb. Even after they were gone and I could see no more I kept doing it. We finally were able to get rid of them.

As far as seeing a doctor, I don't really know what to tell them. I already go to a psychiatrist and to group therapy once a week. And so my psychiatrist knows everything about me. I don't behave like that anymore though. I still do have times when I'm happy (not really overly happy though like used to be and where I couldn't control myself), and times when I am VERY depressed. I pray that it would go away and it's not fun at all. I've been on pretty much every anti depressant out there (none of the anti-psychotics though). {mod snip} is really the only thing that ever worked for me. Seems that lately, it's not working as well as it used to. I don't know what else to do though, what else to try. I'm afraid about all those meds because I have been on a few in the past which really did a number on me.
                      Last edited by Kliska; December 12th, 2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Oh, I have a terrible allergy to {mod snip; certain} drugs. Another dose would probably kill me.

One day I just passed out at work, throat swelled, covered in hives. Pretty epic.

The bugs are more of a psychotic/schitzo thing, which occasionally tags along with the bipolar. Doc did increase my antipsychotic so I should be OK.
                        Last edited by Kliska; December 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

I've never had a reaction like that! I'm glad you made it through ok {mod snip}.

The worst med I remember {mod snip}. It didn't do anything physical, it just completely messed up my brain. {mod snip}

Because of that experience, I'm always afraid when they start me on a new med. I've seen the commercials for drugs {mod snip}, which claim that if you take it along with your antidepressant then you will feel better. I've never taken it but I have wondered about it, as it would be nice if it really did work and took the depression and anxiety away {mod snip}

Of course the primary thing I do is pray, give it all to Jesus, ask Him to help me deal with it and to please take it away and heal me if that be His Will.
                          Last edited by Kliska; December 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Remember to avoid specific drug names when sharing; as people have (or will) try to self-prescribe or avoid certain drugs just because they've read about it causing issues, or working. That type of issue should solely be between them and their doctor, as they try to find what works best for them, prescriptions are incredibly individual.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

I agree, K.

I don't think there is a pill we can take, period, that is going to take away all anxiety and depression. In my case, my medication does SOME of the heavy lifting so I can carry the rest (with God's help).

I am happy with my side effect profile, I researched my medication and Doc has worked with me on finding the right things.

Anyway, the crying-at-everything has gotten some better (and my mood is still pretty much what it was), so I'm a little happier.

I hate feeling like my emotions rule my logic.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Working...
                              X