Health PSA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katiesmom07 View Post
    Anyone know of a message board or website for elderly questions? My mom is 86 years old and her doctor wants her to have a colonoscopy "because it's been 8 years since her last one". Her doctor says she is in good health except for low vitamin D (so upped her to 5000 IU daily). Anyway I know that no medical advice can be given here, but I (and my mom) would like some input from others with similar situations about such things. I find things online but I am looking for something more age specific for someone over 85 years old. Any help would be so appreciated.
    You can do a Google search for *colonoscopy after 80*, there's something interesting by Johns Hopkins and a few others.

The normal procedure is to wait 10 years after a negative screening anyway.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

D-mannose

Originally posted by HJesusfreak View Post
      sepsis, wow, that's vicious. FYI, D-mannose, as found in health food stores, is a great prophylactic and can nip a mild one in the bud. It's saved me from a lot of antibiotics. But yes, get thee to the doctor for a nasty.
      I know this is an old thread, but I just saw this and want to add my recommendation for D-mannose.
      My wife has battled uti's for years. She was on long-term antibiotics for about a year, but the uti returned almost immediately when the antibiotics were stopped. She was constantly going to her doctor with a uti and would be given an antibiotic. She developed severe stomach problems with daily diarrhea I believe from over use of antibiotics.

I did some research on the internet and found some women were drinking vinegar for uti's; she tried that remedy but it did not help. After reading many articles I found some forums where people were discussing chronic uti's and their attempts to find some kind of effective home remedy that would reduce the need to take antibiotics. One day I came upon a forum where the women were talking about D-mannose and how it had saved them from taking antibiotics. I found a particular brand, Cleartract, that many of the ladies said was the best & had experienced very positive results using it.

I did order a bottle and my wife immediately started using it. She has not been to her doctor with a uti since she began using this stuff. She takes it everyday & even at night whenever she gets up to use the bathroom. I have purchased many, many other bottles of this D-mannose I am guessing for 2 or more years. Yes, it is expensive; we have tried a couple of other cheaper brands and she found that one of those seems to work as well for her as the Cleartract. No, I do not sell this stuff, nor do I represent any brand of it. I just know that it works for my wife. By the way, d-mannose is a sugar that attracts the bacteria and flushes it out of the urinary tract. Works only for uti's caused by E.coli bacteria. Those who do promote its use claim it is safe to use even for diabetics. Some of the ladies said that their doctors recommended it to them.

Of course anyone should discuss this product with their doctors before using it plus there is a lot of information on the internet about it.

Comment

Regard the potential

Originally posted by katiesmom07 View Post
        Anyone know of a message board or website for elderly questions? My mom is 86 years old and her doctor wants her to have a colonoscopy "because it's been 8 years since her last one". Her doctor says she is in good health except for low vitamin D (so upped her to 5000 IU daily). Anyway I know that no medical advice can be given here, but I (and my mom) would like some input from others with similar situations about such things. I find things online but I am looking for something more age specific for someone over 85 years old. Any help would be so appreciated.
        I would mention 2 things to consider for any treatment:
        What do you want to accomplish in regards to your health while considering any side effects and what side effects can or could be tolerated.
        To give you an example in age related treatments, remember that the skin becomes more fragile with age, and if they find something in a diagnosis, do you want to treat it, or will treatment be tolerated.
        What are the patients wishes? What have they said they want or don't want in regards to their Health Care Directive (Living Will) for future cares? Has your mom made out a living will that you can easily follow for her health care? That would be a place to start.

Comment

Working...
        X