No announcement yet.

Can a pill keep you from sinning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please feel blessed that you found the right meds for you! Many people will go through trial after trial before they find the correct medication to straighten then out!

Comment

I to am on AD for severe depression. I have been on Paxil for 5 or 6 yrs. I have tried to wean off and can't. My meds. are no longer helping me I am worse now than ever. I dont work and haven't for 5 yrs. because of Fibromyalgia,arthritis and copd. The AD has helped with my Fibromyalgia but I am still depressed and have no desire to interact in any activities with my family. I dont have any friends axcept my family at church I just smile shake hands, I dont try to get close to anyone so I spend alot of time alone. I just dont have the energy to put into relationships. They worked at first but now they just help with the pain. I have started back seeing my Therapist and I am going to try to follow thru so maybe I can find another AD that will help. But in the back of my mind I am always afraid of the weaning process. I am glad to see that you are doing better! God Bless you and your family!

Comment

Originally posted by rere4jc View Post
        I have started back seeing my Therapist and I am going to try to follow thru so maybe I can find another AD that will help. But in the back of my mind I am always afraid of the weaning process.
        I hope and pray that you're able to be matched with medication that will improve your condition
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

It is no more a sin to take AD than it is to take blood pressure medicine, diabetes medicine, thyroid medicine etc.... all these patients are dependent on them physically for life. It is not a lack of trust in the healing power of G-d, it is using His G-d given knowledge appropriately. Where do you think all these medications originally derived from? From plants and substances etc that G-d made.

When I was going through my cancer treatments, I asked this very same question to my pastor about my treatment. He showed me the other side of the coin.... we can not TEST G-d by saying, I will not accept treatment because You MUST heal me divinely. Right now, He is choosing to heal you medicinely.

As a side note... it is also no different than putting a broken bone in a cast and the Lord knits it back together from the inside. Please continue your meds!

Comment

I don't think you're wrong at all for taking anti-depressants. Sometimes, there are hormonal inbalances that require medication to remedy the problem.

I have suffered from panic attacks for years, so much so that from time to time I have had to take Prozac to remedy the problem. If the anti-depressants are making those horrible symptoms go away, I would stay on it. Being depressed is a horrible thing to deal with (I've dealt with severe depression myself.)

As for the anti-depressants keeping you from sinning? Well you haven't sinned before going on them, and it is not a sin to be depressed.

Please don't feel guilty for taking medication to help yourself. Remember, God does heal us through other means, i.e. doctors and medication, besides divine healing. Taking medication does not make you less of a Christian or less spiritual.

Comment

I have had PPD after three of my four pregnancies. I think what people who have never had depression don't understand is that AD don't make you 'high'. I am not particularly happy when on them, but the cloud is lifted and I feel normal. I take flack from family from being on them as none of them have ever had true chemical depression. They think you can just 'snap' out of it.

My DH is now a firm believer in AD since he knows what I am like on them and what I am like off of them and he has tried to explain to my mother the difference. She can't stand the fact that I may be on these for life. Anyway....it isn't a sin to take AD as it is fixing a physical problem within your body that exhibits itself in a mental way. Do NOT feel guilty.......sometimes that is the depression talking as I would try not to take them after having my third baby since I was breast feeding....what a mistake that was. With my fourth I had them start me on AD the NIGHT she was born.

I actually probably need an increase in what I am taking right now, but I hate going through the tweaking process. I am on a very low dose of zoloft and am getting by, but I know that an increase would help take away some of the symptoms that I am continuing to have. Oh..one more thing I wanted to mention...my depression in many ways has been a blessing as it brought me closer to the Lord through it. He broke me through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                I hope and pray that you're able to be matched with medication that will improve your condition

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice. I dont feel BAD for taking AD's, its just.. I dont know how to explain it...... And I guess my original question about if an AD can keep you from sinning.... I suppose I should expand on that. Before I was on AD's, I feel I would sin A LOT. And by doing so it would make me feel so guilty that I would quit reading my Bible, going to church, talking with DH, etc. I would get SO ANGRY with DH. So can an AD keep you from sinning???? I guess it can, in a way.... Because like today, I had an anxiety attack all day long and was SO irritable and was just not myself because I missed 1 day of my meds because I forgot to go to Walmart to get my script refilled. So my whole day was ruined. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. Sometimes I just feel something is seriously wrong with me and I just dont know how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by hilhill View Post
                    Thanks so much for all the advice. I dont feel BAD for taking AD's, its just.. I dont know how to explain it...... And I guess my original question about if an AD can keep you from sinning.... I suppose I should expand on that. Before I was on AD's, I feel I would sin A LOT. And by doing so it would make me feel so guilty that I would quit reading my Bible, going to church, talking with DH, etc. I would get SO ANGRY with DH. So can an AD keep you from sinning???? I guess it can, in a way.... Because like today, I had an anxiety attack all day long and was SO irritable and was just not myself because I missed 1 day of my meds because I forgot to go to Walmart to get my script refilled. So my whole day was ruined. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. Sometimes I just feel something is seriously wrong with me and I just dont know how to fix it.
                    hilhill, NEVER EVER forget to take your meds!! Get you one of those little weekly pill holders to keep up with your meds. so you dont forget. Thats what I had to do!

Comment

Wow!!

Originally posted by carolina_guy View Post
                      i struggle with anxiety/panic and have a xanex prescription. i use it as needed and it brings me much relief when i need it immediately. i know some triggers, but not all, and i'm not always able to get through it on my own. don't sweat it if you need this to help you, it's not a sin at all!
                      (((hug)))). Must jump in here. I needed to read this. Thank you. I had often wondered the same thing with regard to medical treatment for emotional/psychiatric problems. I had often wondered, like Hillhill, if taking medication for such things was a sin in of itself, like if only I would pray harder or have more faith (after all, we are not given a spirit of fear, but of power love and SOUND mind, right?) then God would take care of this. I struggle with anxiety/panic too, and it is keeping me from living life to the fullest right now. I just haven't been able to make myself make the call for help. I just keep plugging along, hoping it goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by iminchargeof4111 View Post
                        (((hug)))). Must jump in here. I needed to read this. Thank you. I had often wondered the same thing with regard to medical treatment for emotional/psychiatric problems. I had often wondered, like Hillhill, if taking medication for such things was a sin in of itself, like if only I would pray harder or have more faith (after all, we are not given a spirit of fear, but of power love and SOUND mind, right?) then God would take care of this. I struggle with anxiety/panic too, and it is keeping me from living life to the fullest right now. I just haven't been able to make myself make the call for help. I just keep plugging along, hoping it goes away.
                        Make the call for help. Our understanding of neurological problems has greatly improved over the last couple of decades and treatment via medication when appropriate is a wonderful thing. It is nobody's fault if their neurology falls outside of the normal range, and medication can be a wonderful help.

3 trees

Comment

Thank you. I will, soon!

Comment

please don't take this the wrong way. if you need a perscription to help that is fine, but some do use these drugs for sinful purposes. case and point, my ex-wife took anti-depressants to help her conscience when she commited adultery and then divorced me. so these drugs can be used to ease ones conscience to commit sin. i am not saying anyone on here would do it. if i had a true medical problem and felt is was right i would use them. this was just to show that someone could use it for the wrong reasons. just saying. maranatha!

Comment

Originally posted by rapture-me View Post
                              please don't take this the wrong way. if you need a perscription to help that is fine, but some do use these drugs for sinful purposes. case and point, my ex-wife took anti-depressants to help her conscience when she commited adultery and then divorced me. so these drugs can be used to ease ones conscience to commit sin. i am not saying anyone on here would do it. if i had a true medical problem and felt is was right i would use them. this was just to show that someone could use it for the wrong reasons. just saying. maranatha!
                              I had that same experience you describe except that I'm still married. That happens for sure but that's a completely different situation than someone getting medicinal help for neurological symptoms that aren't a result of sin. The sad thing in the case you describe is that the folks who can subscribe these medicines will do so even when they know that the patient's problems are due to their own behavior, like adultery, or some other dark thing... and the correct fix in such situations is to change the behavior. In my wife's case, the therapist was part of a supposedly Christianity based counseling service... and knew what the wife was up to... I think it is much more common where a person has inherited or developed neurological issues and either doesn't recognize that help is needed or can't accept that there is a problem that might be helped. It is good when someone who might benefit from these medicines is willing to seek help. When a good medicinal match can be found, it can be a real life changer... in a positive way. While counseling therapy is questionable when you consider investment v.s. return, medicine that brings a person's chemistry closer to the normal range offers concrete benefits.

3 trees

Comment

I used to be on prozac but it had no effect on me I was lucky because these drugs can cause you to become suicidal. This was even in the news about anti depressants. We are not perfect, and I assume you don't have alot of people to talk to because your posting here. There were times I get extremely frustrated, and stressed out with my son. He is three years old, very stubborn, and no matter what different types of discipline I give him nothing seems to work. It got to the point that I felt I was going crazy. I had nobody to talk to about it other than my husband so finally I stop worrying about doing things a certain way, and just let it go. Don't get caught up in things that are not working give yourself a break. We can't possibly be perfect while on this earth all we can do is follow God the best we can he can see where your heart, and effort is at. Whenever I get mad I think about the Bible as being my best medicine to get me moving again I know God put the answers in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X