No announcement yet.

What's For Dinner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me crazy but I made soup on this hot summer day. Venison with veggies and noodles. Garlic bread on the side.
    Ice cream sandwiches for dessert

Comment

• chicken fajita fixins but no tortillas.
      Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
      Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
      Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

• leftover spaghetti and sausages.
        sigpic

Comment

• Breakfast for supper tonight. Fried eggs, hash browns, bacon, and english muffins.
          sigpic

Comment

• BBQ'd baby back ribs, fried cubed potatoes with creole seasoning, corn
            Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

• Baked chicken drumsticks, basmati rice, broccoli and yellow squash.

I have been so busy for the past year I hardly ever cooked, so this past weekend I cooked a homemade meal for dinner both Sat and Sun. Tonight was actually leftovers.
              "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
              always abounding in the work of the Lord;
              knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

• Originally posted by G Moorish View Post
                Yesterday I prepared Carne Asada (spicy Mexican style beef) on a cast iron griddle. The beef was a packaged product I bought at Costo. It was delicious. With the beef I served my oven baked BBQ potatoes. We had Watermellon (what 4th of July would be complete without watermellon ?), Cucumbers in Vinegar and Sour Dough Rolls. It was enjoyed with friends and family.

The potatoes I chop into 1" cubes, toss them in oil and sprinkle with Pork Rub; then bake about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. These work well with just about spicy meat.

I'm still cooking inside because my old grill rusted out and I haven't yet replaced it. I'm thinking about getting a Webber kettle grill and a Webber Smokey Mountain cooker if the Lord wills it. Surely a fellow could serve up some serious BBQ with that equipment.

Marvin
                I love cooking on cast iron!

Mqrvin, your post reminded me of a recipe I saw a friend make once, and I tried it and it was yummy and easy.

Dice potatoes into small cubes, about 1/2 inch diameter. Next dice beets into the same size cubes (raw beets, raw potatoes). Toss olive oil, salt and pepper throughout, place in a glass Pyrex baking dish without a lid, and bake for a while until soft. Occasionally you can toss/stir them. Perhaps 350 degrees F, for 1 hour?

I think there may have been one other 'hard' vegetable in there, but I didn't add it when I made it. I'm thinking also of some herb too, maybe rosemary. It has been a long time and I had forgotten all about this recipe! Thank you, Marvin!
                "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
                always abounding in the work of the Lord;
                knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

• I'm going to make vegetable beef soup from leftover pot roast, and maybe a can of biscuits.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Chinese spaghetti tonight. ( ground beef and broccoli over ramen noodles)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Tonight we are grilling steaks and having large salads to go with them. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.
                      sigpic

Comment

• baked Chitina Red Salmon in a white sauce

3 trees

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                          baked Chitina Red Salmon in a white sauce
                          LOVE grilling sockeyes w skin still on! I try to cook it at least 2x a week w various seasonings. Do you mind telling me what you put into your white sauce or a general idea of the flavors? Thx, TT!
                          Toots

Comment

• Originally posted by BlessdMomUv5 View Post
                            LOVE grilling sockeyes w skin still on! I try to cook it at least 2x a week w various seasonings. Do you mind telling me what you put into your white sauce or a general idea of the flavors? Thx, TT!
                            Tall Timber's White Sauce for Most any Fish

1/3 cup sour cream
                            1/3 cup mayonaisse
                            1/4 cup lemon juice
                            2 TBSP melted butter
                            a wee bit of salt
                            dill weed to your taste
                            white ground pepper

The above is sufficient for 2 average sized "red" or "sockeye" fillets.

I bake the fish covered in the white sauce, covered. I've never just poured it over the fish after it's been cooked, but I suspect that would work too. I don't grill the fish because I figure I'd dry it out. Cooked just right it's delicious... overcooked isn't so good.

3 trees

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                              Tall Timber's White Sauce for Most any Fish

1/3 cup sour cream
                              1/3 cup mayonaisse
                              1/4 cup lemon juice
                              2 TBSP melted butter
                              a wee bit of salt
                              dill weed to your taste
                              white ground pepper

The above is sufficient for 2 average sized "red" or "sockeye" fillets.

I bake the fish covered in the white sauce, covered. I've never just poured it over the fish after it's been cooked, but I suspect that would work too. I don't grill the fish because I figure I'd dry it out. Cooked just right it's delicious... overcooked isn't so good.
                              Thank you so much! I am trying your white sauce on red salmon tomorrow night! Regarding grilling, yes I overcooked fish for years, drying it out and hated fish! Now I try to get skin on, season and add olive oil to the flesh side, then (gas) grill flesh side down on High just 1-2 minutes w lid open to sear, then I flip it so skin side is down, turn on low and cook with cover on grill until it starts to show white coming out (the blood is cooked). Or if I want sauces I get skin off fish put in aluminum pan and cook it in that w sauce on it on grill, low heat. I hate using stovetop or oven when it's hot plus the smells in the house so I use my gas grill A LOT to substitute for range. Even in winter I grill quite a bit. Frost bitten my fingers a wee bit before I imagine in Alaska you might have the opposite issue, avoiding outdoor cooking when it's cold.
                              Toots

Comment

• Originally posted by BlessdMomUv5 View Post
                                Thank you so much! I am trying your white sauce on red salmon tomorrow night! Regarding grilling, yes I overcooked fish for years, drying it out and hated fish! Now I try to get skin on, season and add olive oil to the flesh side, then (gas) grill flesh side down on High just 1-2 minutes w lid open to sear, then I flip it so skin side is down, turn on low and cook with cover on grill until it starts to show white coming out (the blood is cooked). Or if I want sauces I get skin off fish put in aluminum pan and cook it in that w sauce on it on grill, low heat. I hate using stovetop or oven when it's hot plus the smells in the house so I use my gas grill A LOT to substitute for range. Even in winter I grill quite a bit. Frost bitten my fingers a wee bit before I imagine in Alaska you might have the opposite issue, avoiding outdoor cooking when it's cold.
                                I leave the skin on when I bake it... seems to come out a little better. It does taste good when it isn't overcooked. My family members never noticed the dried out salmon... but I did and didn't like it so I'd always give myself just a tiny sliver when I prepared it. Now I'm loving it. I want to try it on the grill sometime... I'll have to refer back to your post here when I get brave enough to try it on the grill...

3 trees

Comment

Working...
                                X