No announcement yet.

Mexican dinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh! I can't wait to try some of this stuff! Thanks you all.

Comment

We like to do quesadillas with our Mexican dishes. I like to chop up some tomato, mushrooms, onions, and use a blend of cheeses. Here is a simple recipe that you can follow:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...quesadilla.php

Comment

the frozen taquitos with tostitos creamy southwestern ranch dip are Awesome!!

Comment

How bout a Jicama slaw with cilantro, or even a green salad with some black beans, red onion rings, cilantro, and southwestern salad dressing made with salsa, mayo and sour cream, or a vinegrette with some cumin that's been lightly toasted in a dry pan?

You can dress up many common vegies or sides with a little lime juice, chili powder, cilantro or jalepeno and make them "mexican" style.

Take a regular tomato and cucumber salad, add a few squirts of lime juice to a sugar, vinegar and oil dressing, add some chopped cilantro and a sprinkling of diced fresh jalepenos and you've turned a regular side dish into a mexican style one.

Take corn on the cob and spread with melted butter mixed with lime juice and chili powder, dust with parmesan cheese for an extra zip.

Boil some carrots, drain and glaze them with butter, sugar and cumin powder, add a little orange juice for a more complex flavor.

Have fun with it, hope this helps!

Comment

The boxed Mexican rice is a good time saver and my whole family loves it- even the generic tastes good. The trick is to add you own tomatoes, green peppers and some spices depending on your spice tolerance (I go for mild LOL!)

Comment

Originally posted by pistis View Post
              How bout a Jicama slaw with cilantro, or even a green salad with some black beans, red onion rings, cilantro, and southwestern salad dressing made with salsa, mayo and sour cream, or a vinegrette with some cumin that's been lightly toasted in a dry pan?

You can dress up many common vegies or sides with a little lime juice, chili powder, cilantro or jalepeno and make them "mexican" style.

Take a regular tomato and cucumber salad, add a few squirts of lime juice to a sugar, vinegar and oil dressing, add some chopped cilantro and a sprinkling of diced fresh jalepenos and you've turned a regular side dish into a mexican style one.

Take corn on the cob and spread with melted butter mixed with lime juice and chili powder, dust with parmesan cheese for an extra zip.

Boil some carrots, drain and glaze them with butter, sugar and cumin powder, add a little orange juice for a more complex flavor.

Have fun with it, hope this helps!
              I wouldn't have thought about the corn on the cob. Cool!

Comment

I just thought of a few more side dishes, I sometimes make a mexican cornbread using a regular cornbread recipe with corn, diced jalepenos and cheese added to the recipe.

I've also made enhilada soup, and corn chowder sprinkled with diced red peppers, jalepenos and cilantro.

Also, a cold rice salad made with spanish rice, black beans, corn, chopped jicama (a crunchy white root veg similar in taste to asian apple pears and water chestnuts), chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, green onions, red onions, avocados, cumin powder, lime juice and cilantro tossed with an italian dressing or vinegrette, you can also omit the rice and make a vegie salad with the same ingredients.

Good luck!

Comment

Ohhh you all are making me so hungry!! LOL

Comment

These are 2 of my absolute favorite recipes:

Classic Black Beans & Rice

2 Tbs olive oil
                    1/2 c onion (finely chopped)
                    1/4 c bell pepper (finely chopped)
                    2 tsp garlic (minced)
                    1 can black beans (undrained)
                    1 tsp oregano
                    3/4 c water
                    1 pkg Goya Sazon
                    1 Tbs vinegar

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over white rice.

Mirta's Flan

1/2 cup sugar
                    brown in pan until it turns liquid
                    pour into pie pan or glass dish

Beat together
                    4 egss
                    1 can sweetened condensed milk
                    refill can with whole milk

Pour over melted sugar. Set over pot of water on top of stove and heat until set (about 1 hour). Let cool completely and turn onto plate.

Comment

Working...
                    X