Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Velvet Cheesecake (by Southern Living)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Velvet Cheesecake (by Southern Living)

Red Velvet Cheesecake

This recipe is delicious, and is especially beautiful at Christmas or New Year's. Don't forget to cook it in a water bath to keep it from cracking--seal the pan at the bottom with foil and put it in a jelly roll pan with an inch of water. (There's good directions on how to do this online).

Prep: 20 min.; Bake: 1 hr., 25 min.; Stand: 1 hr.; Chill: 8 hrs. The cheesecake's deep red filling and snowy topping is wonderfully dramatic. Fresh mint sprigs add a pop of Christmas color.

1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup whole buttermilk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
    2 (1-ounce) bottles red food coloring
    1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Garnish: fresh mint sprigs

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.

Beat 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.

Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Beat 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish, if desired.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2004

Thank you! I might have to give it a preview before Christmas though.
    It sounds wonderful!

Comment

Oh

My

Word!

My two favorite cakes in one!

Comment

Ok. That should be outlawed.

Comment

I was thinking about making my mom one for her birthday Saturday. You're from Louisiana too! Do you have the John Folse cook book? It's amazing (: I made some chicken etoufee earlier for dinner and it was delicious!!!!

Comment

Wow...finally found a great recipe for the best cheesecake in the world,

southern style. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X