Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Good high School Packets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good high School Packets?

I have been using Alpha Omega Academy (online) for 2 years for my youngest, now a high-schooler. My two older sons have graduated from college with engineering degrees (combination of homeschooling, Christian schooling, and some public schooling), but, with son number three, I feel like a failure. I found out I had cancer only a few months after we started, and he got behind when I wasn't constantly working with him after that.

We need a change from the online option. I was wondering about using packets, as motivation is a huge factor with this precious one. Timberdoodle, for example, has complete yearly packets. My son is stuck in the second semester of 9th grade, though. Any ideas or observations? He is a great kid, but needs motivation.

You are not a failure. You have successfully educated two of your children and the third one will succeed, too.

I have not heard of Timberdoodle so I can't help you there. Is he stuck on everything with the online course? Maybe he can continue doing the ones online that he is okay with and use an alternative study for the other ones? For example, if he's fine with math and science online but struggling with history then get a different study/publisher/packet/whatever for the history portion.

I'm not too sure what the homeschooling requirements are where you live, but if you can go that route it might be easier. Several homeschooling parents I know do this- me included. Sometimes the kids just get bogged down and need a fresh look at the subject. There are so many good resources out there I have no recommendations. With my kids I asked them which study looked the most interesting to them, what they were curious about and wanted to learn within the context of the subject. My oldest is a World War II buff so one year his study for history was all about that subject- politics, foreign policy, strategy, etc. He learned so much that way because it was something he chose and was interested in.

Not too sure if this is the answer you had in mind, but I hope it helps.

Comment

I homeschooled my son and daughter thru high school some years back. They are now grown up, married and living for the Lord.

I agree with Windflower. Check into your local rules and regs. I homeschooled in a fairly open province where we could do a lot more innovative stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt because your mileage may vary based on your state regs and your son.

I knew a couple who were missionaries who used it with their teens. Teens and parents survived.

What's the worst that could happen? You go back to what you've used in the past, and your son had a refreshing break in routine. As did you. As I used to say, never underestimate the power of a fun new bit of curriculum to reignite interest.

When I had some really bad hair days after the new curriculum smell wore off come December when their brains used to turn to mush, I used to just rely on a Saxon math lesson per day and making them write something, a page worth of something every day. We started with prayer and Bible reading then did what I called "do the worst first" which for ds was his writing, and for dd it was math.

Sticking a Bible memory verse on the fridge helped because I often quoted the verse "the entrance of Thy Word giveth light, it giveth understanding to the simple." which I figured meant that if I got Bible into them, particularly the verse of the week, then God would enhance their brains.

I took out Shakespeare on tape from the library, and let them play lego while listening to Shakespeare. I stapled up interesting maps, timelines, pullouts on science from magazines and history tidbits in the bathroom. Captive audience. We called it the bathroom unit study and I stuck a few interesting books on whatever "unit" I was doing at the time in a plastic dishpan on the shelf behind the toilet. Amazing how much that actually got into them. It's the same principle that advertising uses to get us to buy new detergent. In my case I was selling Greek history or the different sea life at different levels of the ocean.

I took them to creation science seminars and played a lot of Diana Waring's over view of history on tapes "What in the World is Going On Here". Stuck a silly sentence on the whiteboard and made them red line MY mistakes in spelling and grammar and make the necessary corrections. Put a longitude and latitude up on the whiteboard and they had to come to me with the location on a globe. I had a timeline of history, that assumed 6000 years since creation, and we would unfold that to see when a particular historical novel like Dicken's Tale of Two Cities happened.

Learning was easier on them and I think on me too.

For what it's worth, my son graduated with a BSc. in computer science with a minor in business from a local university and my daughter graduated with a BSc. in Biology with an emphasis on genetics and even got published for some work she did with one of her instructors. Neither of them are slouches in the maths and sciences and both of them write easily and prolifically when they need to. They are well read and far more important, they are both committed Christians who found and married Christian spouses. They all plan to homeschool.

Some years are easier than others. You've got a lot on your plate. Make it easy on yourself and your son. Try Timberdoodle, and if it's what you need, great, and if it's a bad fit, sell it online, and try something else. Your son is also coping with your diagnosis, as well as being in one of the most difficult years for homeschooling, when the hormones hit and the brain goes missing somewhere. It's not your fault or his fault and it will pass. Meanwhile maybe just figure out the very least you two can do to get by, join up with other homeschoolers for coop science or chess etc so he has some good company, and breathe deep and trust God for the long haul outcomes.

Battles come and go but to win the war, we need the long view. It always helped me to think about what I really wanted them to learn. Oddly enough, ----that priority was to become Godly. The rest is gravy. I sought the kingdom of God first, and God took us through the rough stuff, when my daughter refused physics or ancient Greece and my son went on a weeks strike of not writing his page a day. LOL the way I dealt with THAT was it doubled every day he didn't do it, till one horrible Friday when he was in his room all day except for meals and bathroom breaks. Evil mum that I was. He never did that again. And later in first year university, he thanked me.

You've already done it well with your older 2, you will do fine. Biggest hugs

Comment

Thank you both for your encouraging replies!

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X