Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Heart of Dakota Curriculum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heart of Dakota Curriculum

    My wife and I are looking into homeschooling next year.

    I have been looking over various curricula (apparently there are hundreds) and I was wondering if anyone here had any hands on experience with any of their programs? If so I would greatly appreciate any information that you would like to share!


  • #2
    Are you somewhere in the Dakotas? I was a teacher in Christian schools for 10 years before I had children and stayed home with them. My favorite curriculum in school was the ABeka curriculum, although it is extremely paperwork heavy. When i started to research homeschooling I found a method of teaching that is based on the method of Charlotte Mason, a late 19th century schoolteacher. There are 2 websites that I rely on fr curriculum and planning-simplycharlottemason.com and amblesideonline.org. I have fallen in love with this philosophy of education, and I don't think I would want to do it any other way.
    Edited to add: if you are anywhere close to sioux falls, i can give you links to different homeschool groups in that area.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by my2babysmama View Post
      Are you somewhere in the Dakotas? I was a teacher in Christian schools for 10 years before I had children and stayed home with them. My favorite curriculum in school was the ABeka curriculum, although it is extremely paperwork heavy. When i started to research homeschooling I found a method of teaching that is based on the method of Charlotte Mason, a late 19th century schoolteacher. There are 2 websites that I rely on fr curriculum and planning-simplycharlottemason.com and amblesideonline.org. I have fallen in love with this philosophy of education, and I don't think I would want to do it any other way.
      Edited to add: if you are anywhere close to sioux falls, i can give you links to different homeschool groups in that area.
      Thanks for your reply Actually I'm down south in Alabama, not in the Dakotas. The name Heart of Dakota is a curriculum I found while doing some research:

      www.heartofdakota.com

      (mods if I should not have linked that here please remove it)

      From what I've read about it, it is Christ centered and draws heavily upon the Charlotte Mason philosophy of teaching. I think a Charlotte Mason based approach is exactly what my wife and I are looking for. I was just curious to talk with people that had used this particular one. It hasn't been around as long as the others, like Abeka, so it seems harder to find people that have used it. I've actually been reading the ambleside site some and it looks like a good possibility as well - being free also helps! I'm going to go check out the other link you have there now too.

      Honestly the whole cirricula thing is a bit overwhelming for us as new home school parents. We are praying a lot for God to guide us to where we need to be.

      If you don't mind me asking - what do you use for math?

      Comment


      • #4
        I use the math u see curriculum, and both of my children and i love it. Ihave a son who is Year 1 and a daughter who is in kindergarten, which according to aO is year 0.5, so I have only been doing this for 2 years, but i love it. I have never heard of heart of dakota, but if is is charlotte mason I will look at it. I am willing to help you if you need it. Feel free to ask!

        Comment


        • #5
          I appreciate the info so far and welcome any advice you may have!

          I liked what I saw with the Math U See - thanks for sharing that .

          Our oldest will be in the 6th grade next year and she is mildly autistic. Math is the one thing that she struggles with the most. She is very visual about things and I like the idea of her being able to see concepts as well as just read about them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi aub1971! I am so happy for you and your family starting on this homeschooling journey. It is awesome! I have been homeschooling for 6 years now.

            You are getting some great advice here, and I will also share my experiences with you.

            We did use Heart of Dakota for one year. I will say that I do love the program for the history, Bible, and literature. The book lists for read alouds are great in my opinion. I was not crazy about their choice for language arts, math or science, they just didn't work for my kids. So, instead of buying one packaged curriculum, we pick our own curriculum and put it together from a few different companies.

            Timberdoodle has wonderful recommendations for homeschool curriculum for all subjects, and their products are tested by homeschoolers before Timberdoodle sells them.

            We use Teaching Textbooks for math, and it has been awesome for our family!

            It's good to research as much as you can, and I have always involved my children in picking out the curriculum that appeals to them (like giving them 2 to choose from). It makes a lot of difference if the method of teaching suits the child. That's one of the beautiful things about homeschooling!

            We have experience with several different curriculum companies, so if I can be of any more help, let me know!

            Comment


            • #7
              My ex started homeschooling our half dozen kids after our govt school turned out to be a mess. She tried a bunch of things but settled on Heart of Dakota and has been using it for about 8 years. It works well. She met with the author when she came to town for a home school conference. Nice people. (They'd have to be nice people coming from South Dakota.) As the kids have progressed, they've been able to do a lot of it on their own.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bilbo57385 View Post
                My ex started homeschooling our half dozen kids after our govt school turned out to be a mess. She tried a bunch of things but settled on Heart of Dakota and has been using it for about 8 years. It works well. She met with the author when she came to town for a home school conference. Nice people. (They'd have to be nice people coming from South Dakota.) As the kids have progressed, they've been able to do a lot of it on their own.
                Thanks for sharing bilbo!

                My wife and I are literally in the first week of using this. The planning we've done so far has us both very excited about using HoD for our curriculum this year. Right out of the box, day one - lesson one, it is Christ centered and based on the Word. I was never excited as a student back in the day going to public schools, but I want to go through HoD myself and do 4th/5th grade again!

                As we progress along during the school year I will try to add some more info about things my wife and I have found using it that may be beneficial for others that may be considering it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ReadyNWaitin View Post
                  Hi aub1971! I am so happy for you and your family starting on this homeschooling journey. It is awesome! I have been homeschooling for 6 years now.

                  You are getting some great advice here, and I will also share my experiences with you.

                  We did use Heart of Dakota for one year. I will say that I do love the program for the history, Bible, and literature. The book lists for read alouds are great in my opinion. I was not crazy about their choice for language arts, math or science, they just didn't work for my kids. So, instead of buying one packaged curriculum, we pick our own curriculum and put it together from a few different companies.

                  Timberdoodle has wonderful recommendations for homeschool curriculum for all subjects, and their products are tested by homeschoolers before Timberdoodle sells them.

                  We use Teaching Textbooks for math, and it has been awesome for our family!

                  It's good to research as much as you can, and I have always involved my children in picking out the curriculum that appeals to them (like giving them 2 to choose from). It makes a lot of difference if the method of teaching suits the child. That's one of the beautiful things about homeschooling!

                  We have experience with several different curriculum companies, so if I can be of any more help, let me know!
                  I apologize for not replying to this sooner as I apparently didn't see this post in the thread?

                  We actually chose the Teaching Textbooks for our math as well. My wife and I like their approach a lot and the girls like doing any work they can on a computer. Like you we are supplementing HoD with TT for math and adding the science books from Berean Builders to the HoD science. The flexibility that we have is very liberating and its truly a blessing for us to be able to home school.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X