X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Unschooling Article

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-the-Wild.html

Unschooling: the Case for Setting Your Kids into the Wild

In early September, in a clapboard house situated on 43 acres just outside a small town in northern Vermont, two boys awaken. They are brothers; the older is 12, the younger 9, and they rise to a day that has barely emerged from the clutches of dark. It is not yet autumn, but already the air has begun to change, the soft nights of late summer lengthening and chilling into the season to come. Outside the boys’ bedroom window, the leaves on the maples are just starting to turn. Much more at link...

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

After skimming a bit of the article, (bookmarked it for more attentive reading at another time), I liked what it was saying. Of course, a lot of parents don't think like the author of this article, nor would they have the opportunity to educate their children in the manner that this parent seems to have available. It just happens that I do think this way, but our sons are now grown, and the three grandchildren live in a city. So, it's not anything that I can put into practice, but I would if I could. Thanks for the link, Kliska.
    sigpic
    -Lynn

Comment

Seems the Amish do just as well.

I see strengths and weaknesses in such a program. But perhaps the best thing to do is evaluate these children once they have become adults.

Are they contributors to society or liabilities?

Even homeschooling is no safe harbor and cannot guaranteed results.

Mankind has a nature that can be as varied and precocious and any wild animal.
      And few will even submit to the care and instruction of his Designer, let alone the designated authorities - parents.
      It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
      sigpic

Comment

We don't have children, but we do have plenty of nieces and nephews and cousins. My thoughts are that there is one thing clear; there is something wrong with turning children over to the government from the time they are 4/5 all the way up until they are 18. Back in the day, the public schools weren't run the way they are now, and they were necessary because a bulk of the populace were illiterate to a certain degree. That's not our situation now.

Even in my parents' day and age, kids played physically before school, after school, and in the summer. Now that doesn't normally happen. So, I also think it is possible to "unschool" in everyday life even when the children attend public school if the parents are willing to get their noses out of the kindle, computer, ipad, ipod, smartphone, etc... and turn off the kids' electronics. Another aspect of this is that people in our society have an attitude of need for wants; we act like we need a flatscreen tv and cable, a new car, a new fridge, a big house, a smartphone, and so on. Many parents don't want to sacrifice their wants for the the needs of their kids... and electronics make "good" babysitters.

I think every parent (who cares about their kids) knows their children best, and they should have the right to pick and choose how they want to educate their children; for some that is public school (with a lot of parental oversight), for some it is charter, private or home school, and for some it is unschooling. The main thing, IMO, is parental care, love, commitment, and conversation.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Kliska View Post
          .......................... The main thing, IMO, is parental care, love, commitment, and conversation.
          Amen!

As a parent you have to get INVOLVED no matter what kind of schooling is used, and you have to change methods if the current one is not working.
          It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
            Amen!

As a parent you have to get INVOLVED no matter what kind of schooling is used, and you have to change methods if the current one is not working.
            sigpic
            -Lynn

Comment

Interesting article. In theory, I agree with a lot of it. In practice, I'd say be very careful, as parents, that we don't handicap our kids for their future choices of how to earn a living. Some plan needs to be in place, whether it's a non-college choice, such as learning a trade, or leaving the option open for college.

In the 28 years I've been a parent, I've homeschooled, been a part of Christian schools, and also a small public school. I'm doing a homeschool program right now with my youngest, a 10th-grader. I think it's important to remember that at some point, our kids are going to have to be able to pass tests and know how to study if they want a college education. So there are just some things for which we have to prepare them.

Comment

I have mixed opinions.

My neighbors have 5 very active and noisy children. Favorite occupation, kicking a soccer ball into the side of our house.

However, a few years ago they enrolled the children in a charter school. The school is open from 7:30 to 5:30, five days a week. Some Saturdays and summer hours. Pretty extensive Pre-k program.

But, and here's the crux. For me as a "grumpy" neighbor, it's great, the kids are gone 12 hours a day. As a parent, though, the kids are gone 12 hours a day. Don't kids need to sleep 10 hours a night? That means the parents are only getting 2 hours a day with their child... and not very quality time because it's all preparation, mealtime, and bedtime.

Someone else is "downloading" into that child's brain for 12 hours a day. You have no idea what's being input. Even if the child wanted, they probably wouldn't think to tell you everything.

I'm sure the school runs them around and wears them out, too, which like I said is great for me as a neighbor. They hardly ever make any racket anymore.

But I keep finding it profoundly sad as I see the little children loaded up in the van every day.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
                'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
                I get my Bibles here

Comment

Working...
                X