Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Ransomeware attacks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How ransomware hackers "prey on people's willingness to click"

Hackers are using ransomware to target everyone, from consumers to businesses big and small, to municipalities, and the payoff is huge.

Plainfield, New Jersey, a town of roughly 50,000 people, fell victim to hackers and is still working to get its files back, reports CBS News correspondent DeMarco Morgan.

Mayor Adrian Mapp said hackers infiltrated their computer systems when an employee clicked on an infected link. City officials scrambled to pull servers offline, but three were compromised, leaving emails and other city files inaccessible.
    "We have about 10 years of documents that we are not able to access," the mayor said.

The hijackers held the files ransom, demanding roughly 650 euros paid in bitcoin. Mapp sought the assistance from law enforcement, but remains helpless in regaining access.

See full article here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ransomwa...nwide/?ref=yfp

I already replicate all of our data files to an NAS data server, and then replicate that to one of our computers for redundancy. Now that ransomware is beginning to attack entire networks, I've ordered a 4 GB USB drive that I'll use for replicating the data files on the NAS server, hopefully once a month, and then will detach it from the network... so if the ransomware thing ever hits us, we won't lose more than a month's data. I already had a smaller USB drive, but it wasn't a match in size for the NAS. The NAS has two WD red 4GB drives that are setup in Raid 1.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

New ransomware strain coded entirely in Javascript

Security researchers have discovered a new strain of ransomware coded entirely in Javascript, which could increase its chances of being activated.
      Unlike executable program files, Javascript documents do not always trigger a security warning on Windows or require administrator access to run.
      Named RAA, the malware is disguised as a document and starts encrypting files immediately when opened.
      One security expert said the approach was likely to fool many victims.

See full article here: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36575687?yptr=yahoo

3 trees

Comment

RansomeFree

I learned of a free software product this morning that says it will protect a computer from most ransomware variants. It's called RansomFree by Cybereason. I installed it on one of my computers. It's a small file under 5 MB and looks for activity that is common to pretty much all of ransomware. One activity being searching for files to encrypt. So it looks for activity like that occurring and blocks it and lets you know. I expect I'll install it on all of our computers.

A search for the product will get you to the website.

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
          I learned of a free software product this morning that says it will protect a computer from most ransomware variants. It's called RansomFree by Cybereason. I installed it on one of my computers. It's a small file under 5 MB and looks for activity that is common to pretty much all of ransomware. One activity being searching for files to encrypt. So it looks for activity like that occurring and blocks it and lets you know. I expect I'll install it on all of our computers.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to look into that.

Comment

Thanks. I looked it up, and it has only been out for 5 days, so I am going to wait a few more days to see if anyone has compatibility problems (things like blocking spybotSD, Avast, Veracrypt, FileSeek, or PGP), but it sounds good.

This sounds like a new twist on the old science of Heuristic Analysis (I think my AV software already uses that).

Comment

My computer geek daughter is home and I just talked to her about it and showed her where the file was on our data server so she could install it. She said, thanks, but she'd do a little investigation before installing it. Smart Girl! I told her I sent a description of the program and a download link to a friend of mine who has been hit with a ransomware virus and told her that while that friend should call me to verify that that e-mail was from me and legit, he'll click on the link without checking with me...

3 trees

Comment

My computer geek daughter is home and I just talked to her about it and showed her where the file was on our data server so she could install it. She said, thanks, but she'd do a little investigation before installing it. Smart Girl! I told her I sent a description of the program and a download link to a friend of mine who has been hit with a ransomware virus and told her that while that friend should call me to verify that that e-mail was from me and legit, he'll click on the link without checking with me...
                Seems to be a good protective measure against ransomware.

I gave it a month for others to report things like conflicts with other software, and no one seems to be reporting any problems with it. Hence: Bump.

Comment

RansomeFree Tested

I saw this article about RansomFree being tested by a fella and the results of the test were good. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ndows/?ref=yfp

I've had it installed on the computers that I use personally since I discovered it. My geek daughter also installed it after investigating it. One thing it does is put a folder on the desktop. I like keeping my desktop clean, but that folder kept reappearing. The folder has a selection of small data files in it, kind of like cheese on a mousetrap for ransomware. Since I realized that the folder is part of the protection package, I leave it there now...

3 trees

Comment

I saw this article about RansomFree being tested by a fella and the results of the test were good. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ndows/?ref=yfp

I've had it installed on the computers that I use personally since I discovered it. My geek daughter also installed it after investigating it. One thing it does is put a folder on the desktop. I like keeping my desktop clean, but that folder kept reappearing. The folder has a selection of small data files in it, kind of like cheese on a mousetrap for ransomware. Since I realized that the folder is part of the protection package, I leave it there now...
                    On mine, it didn't put the folder on the desktop. Not sure where it put it.
                    I suspect that, in each installation, it puts it in a different place.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
                      On mine, it didn't put the folder on the desktop. Not sure where it put it.
                      I suspect that, in each installation, it puts it in a different place.
                      Update on RansomFree.

I did find the folder with the files. I suspect it chooses a location
                      during installation. I also found that it has a log file, and it checks
                      to see if it has an update more than once an hour. Current version
                      is 2.22, so it wasn't as new as I thought.

I suspect the checks for a new update are just in case someone
                      experiences a problem or in case some new kind of ransomware
                      is found. Once an hour seems a bit much, though.

Still no problems interacting with other software, but I haven't
                      experimented with any new software recently, so I don't really
                      have any news here.

Comment

Mine's on version 2.2.5.1 at the moment. On at least some of my computers it has created a couple of folders with what appears to be random data files from various programs. The program hasn't caused any problems on the computers I have it on. On a notebook the program itself wasn't going active (glitched along the way) so I reinstalled it and that fixed it.

I don't like the window that comes up to make sure I know of its existence, but I guess I can live with that in order to have the protection.

3 trees

Comment

Mine's on version 2.2.5.1 at the moment. On at least some of my computers it has created a couple of folders with what appears to be random data files from various programs. The program hasn't caused any problems on the computers I have it on. On a notebook the program itself wasn't going active (glitched along the way) so I reinstalled it and that fixed it.

I don't like the window that comes up to make sure I know of its existence, but I guess I can live with that in order to have the protection.
                          Not sure what to make of that. I haven't looked for any other folders,
                          so it may have created more than one. Mine is still on 2.220, and
                          it doesn't open any windows to let me know it is active, except for
                          maybe a split second flash and gone, then it just puts an icon in
                          my tray.

Is your tray set to hide the icon?
                          Or is that not an option on Win 10?
                          I am still running Win 7, so that could make a difference.

Comment

and
                            it doesn't open any windows to let me know it is active, except for
                            maybe a split second flash and gone, then it just puts an icon in
                            my tray.
                            That's the pesky window I'm talking about.

Is your tray set to hide the icon?
                            Or is that not an option on Win 10?
                            I am still running Win 7, so that could make a difference.
                            The icon is hidden in win 10. I would just guess that the program wouldn't show a difference when running on either 7 or 10.

3 trees

Comment

Ransomfree

I'm posting here mainly to give this thread a bump in light of the recent massive ransomware attack that's hit devices in over 100 countries now.

I posted upthread about the Ransomfree product that I've got installed on our family computers. I hope I never find out if it works or not but the free Ransomfree software product might be a good idea to install on your computers if you're concerned at all about being hit with ransomware.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/protect-yourself-ransomware-attack-spreads-200111587.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/13/tech...Top+Stories%29

3 trees

Comment

Acronis is offering free ransomware protection software. I won't be trying it but thought I'd share that it's being made available. Link's below:

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/person...ta-protection/

3 trees

Comment

Working...
                                X