Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ransomeware attacks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    1. Somebody told me that you cannot get a virus from a YouTube video. Is that true?

    2. If you CAN get a virus from a YouTube video.....

    (a) Can you get a ransomeware virus from a YouTube video, too?

    (b) Is it safe to watch YouTube videos that have more than, say, a thousand or so views (as YouTube would presumably have removed the video if people were complaining about getting viruses from it)?

    Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

    "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

    Comment


    • #17
      1. Somebody told me that you cannot get a virus from a YouTube video. Is that true?

      2. If you CAN get a virus from a YouTube video.....

      (a) Can you get a ransomeware virus from a YouTube video, too?

      (b) Is it safe to watch YouTube videos that have more than, say, a thousand or so views (as YouTube would presumably have removed the video if people were complaining about getting viruses from it)?
      I would say going to Youtube and just watching videos.... generally no. But that does not mean that clickable advertisements or web-links that might be embedded in videos that you might click on may take you to a compromised/infected/malicious website.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by macrohard View Post
        I would say going to Youtube and just watching videos.... generally no. But that does not mean that clickable advertisements or web-links that might be embedded in videos that you might click on may take you to a compromised/infected/malicious website.
        Thank you, macrohard.

        That brings up another question. Re those annoying ads you mentioned that pop up on the bottom of YouTube videos: I have been hesitant to even click the "X" to make those ads go away, for fear they might be engineered somehow to download a virus just by trying to close out an ad, not just by clicking on the ad to open it. Is that silly, or is it always safe to click on an "x" to close out an ad?

        Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

        "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
        ______

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Tiger Lily View Post
          Thank you, macrohard.

          That brings up another question. Re those annoying ads you mentioned that pop up on the bottom of YouTube videos: I have been hesitant to even click the "X" to make those ads go away, for fear they might be engineered somehow to download a virus just by trying to close out an ad, not just by clicking on the ad to open it. Is that silly, or is it always safe to click on an "x" to close out an ad?
          I have never caught one (a virus) just closing an ad or clicking on an ad on YouTube. One should be fairly safe as long as you have other security controls in place (like anti-virus if you are running Windows, and patching and updating Windows, and third party programs like Java and Adobe products like Reader and Flash....)

          I do read a lot of Information Security news (since I am in the field), and I rarely see YouTube mentioned unless something is vulnerable within the configuration of Youtube itself, and Google tends to fix it fairly quickly.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by macrohard View Post
            I have never caught one (a virus) just closing an ad or clicking on an ad on YouTube. One should be fairly safe as long as you have other security controls in place (like anti-virus if you are running Windows, and patching and updating Windows, and third party programs like Java and Adobe products like Reader and Flash....)

            I do read a lot of Information Security news (since I am in the field), and I rarely see YouTube mentioned unless something is vulnerable within the configuration of Youtube itself, and Google tends to fix it fairly quickly.
            Great! Very useful info, thank you, macrohard!
            But you keep inspiring more questions.....

            1. I have Norton 360 - Check
            2. It automatically updates Windows for me - Check
            3. Java automatically gives me a notice and it is up to date - Check
            4. Adobe Reader and Flash - I worry about being sure I am getting updates from the right, i.e., safe source, so I worry about clicking on things. This is the right place to get the free Adobe Reader and Flash downloads, correct? (I see a list on the right-hand side of the page)

            http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html

            Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

            "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
            ______

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Tiger Lily View Post
              Great! Very useful info, thank you, macrohard!
              But you keep inspiring more questions.....

              1. I have Norton 360 - Check
              2. It automatically updates Windows for me - Check
              3. Java automatically gives me a notice and it is up to date - Check
              4. Adobe Reader and Flash - I worry about being sure I am getting updates from the right, i.e., safe source, so I worry about clicking on things. This is the right place to get the free Adobe Reader and Flash downloads, correct? (I see a list on the right-hand side of the page)

              http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html
              IIRC there is a way to stop the pop-up ads from appearing in YT videos. It's an option that you must seek out ...
              sigpic
              Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

              John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

              Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.


              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Tiger Lily View Post
                Great! Very useful info, thank you, macrohard!
                But you keep inspiring more questions.....

                1. I have Norton 360 - Check
                2. It automatically updates Windows for me - Check
                3. Java automatically gives me a notice and it is up to date - Check
                4. Adobe Reader and Flash - I worry about being sure I am getting updates from the right, i.e., safe source, so I worry about clicking on things. This is the right place to get the free Adobe Reader and Flash downloads, correct? (I see a list on the right-hand side of the page)

                http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html
                All of that is correct, that is about the best you're going to do (make sure that your firewall in Windows or if Norton 360 has that option that it is enabled too.)

                IIRC there is a way to stop the pop-up ads from appearing in YT videos. It's an option that you must seek out ...
                One could try the Ad Block Plus browser extension......for Chrome, Firefox, or IE....

                Comment


                • #23
                  Okay, thank you much, Steve and macrohard! I am copying your responses into my tech file so that the info will always be handy even if I forget. I appreciate your help!

                  Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

                  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
                  ______

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Windows 10 scam is being circulated online

                    Scammers have begun sending out emails informing individuals that they are eligible to upgrade to Windows 10. The email appears to come from an official Microsoft address, update@microsoft.com, adding to its authenticity, but dont be fooled Microsoft isnt going to send you an email with Windows 10 as the attachment.


                    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/watch-d...213046912.html
                    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

                    3 trees

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Just had my first encounter with Cryptowall. One of my PCs at work got infected by it. I believe it came in via an ad server. The user didn't click on anything or get any emails but did go to a web site with some ads on it. From what I've read the user doesn't have to do anything except go to a web site with infected ads and voila. It has definitely made me tighten up on backups.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Shonsu View Post
                        Just had my first encounter with Cryptowall. One of my PCs at work got infected by it. I believe it came in via an ad server. The user didn't click on anything or get any emails but did go to a web site with some ads on it. From what I've read the user doesn't have to do anything except go to a web site with infected ads and voila. It has definitely made me tighten up on backups.
                        And that's all it takes.....

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Apple computers targeted in first 'ransomware' attack

                          Apple computers have been successfully targeted by malicious software called "ransomware" for the first time, according to security researchers.

                          Palo Alto Networks said it spotted the ransomware on OS X on March 4, and reported the issue to Apple the same day.
                          Apple, which did not immediately respond to CNNMoney's requests for comment, took steps to protect users after being alerted to the problem, Palo Alto said.

                          Ransomware is software that hijacks a computer, and locks a user's files until a ransom is paid. The program in question, dubbed keRanger, requires victims to pay one Bitcoin, which is a little more than $400, to retrieve their files.

                          See full article here: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/07/tech...ney_topstories
                          ******************

                          I don't use Apple, and figure that the Windows side of the technology community has a bit more experience fighting viruses.

                          I had a chat with my family yesterday and told them it was likely that at some point one of the family will get infected with ransomware. I told them that our data is replicated to an NAS drive and then replicated again to another computer. Each user can only access their own "share" or directory on the NAS so it's unlikely that ransomware would be able to spread it's infection beyond the person's data who acquired the virus.

                          I told them we would just format their hard drive and start over, and delete their share on the NAS and then recreate it from the redundant copy.

                          My son who is away at college replicates his data files to a USB drive so he's relatively safe.

                          Hopefully someone will come out with a way to stop ransomware all together.
                          Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

                          3 trees

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Apple has revoked a stolen security certificate the ransomware was using, so the program should be flagged if one tries to download it.
                            Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

                            3 trees

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Locky ransomware activity ticks up

                              Locky, a new family of ransomware that emerged in the last few weeks, has quickly made a mark for itself.
                              Computer security companies say it has become a commonly seen type of ransomware, which is used to hold a computer’s files hostage pending a ransom payment.

                              Trustwave's SpiderLabs said on Wednesday that 18 percent of the 4 million spam messages it collected in the last week were ransomware-related, including many linked to Locky.

                              "We are currently seeing extraordinary huge volumes of JavaScript attachments being spammed out, which, if clicked on by users, lead to the download of a ransomware," wrote Rodel Mendrez, a Trustwave security researcher.

                              Locky is distributed through spam messages that have been sent through the same botnet used to send Dridex, the infamous online banking malware.

                              See full article here: http://www.computerworld.com/article...p.html?ref=yfp
                              *******************
                              Yesterday I spent a good part of the day cleaning one of my adult kid's desktop computer of viruses. Fortunately no computers on our home network have been hit with ransomware yet... but with the proliferation of spam sent with links that point to or contain ransomware viruses, I figure it's only a matter of time. I don't look forward to wiping and rebuilding when that occurs.
                              Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

                              3 trees

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Email scam Petya locks down PCs until a ransom is paid

                                A new piece of malware doing the rounds using popular cloud storage service Dropbox as its carrier is reportedly able to lock users out of their systems. The ransomware is known as Petya, and at present it seems to be forcing users to pay more than $400 to regain access to their computers.

                                Petya is being distributed via email, according to a report from Trend Micro. The package is included in correspondence intended to look like a message from a professional looking for work, which contains a Dropbox link that will supposedly allow the recipient to download their resume.

                                Unfortunately, that file is in fact a self-extracting executable that’s designed to install a Trojan which blocks any active security software and downloads the Petya ransomware. Once that groundwork has all been laid, the real attack can get underway.

                                Petya overwrites the master boot record of the infected system, causing a blue screen of death. Once the user tries to reboot, they’ll be greeted with a bright red screen emblazoned with an ASCII skull and crossbones — and there’s no way of escaping this, as safe mode will have already been disabled.

                                See full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/petya-mal...172753176.html
                                *****************

                                Seems like ransomware is becoming more prevalent. I'd encourage everyone to ensure they have a recent copy of their important files kept offline. A USB hard drive that you detach after copying your data files is one solution. Those are pretty inexpensive nowadays.
                                Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

                                3 trees

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X