Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Ransomeware attacks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ransomeware attacks

Just an FYI, but at work we have seen a huge increase in Ransomeware attacks. I just spent an extra hour at work because of silly user choices. 42 possible infections due to just 'opening everything I get in an email'...

This is the sort of attack where a Trojan/Virus encrypts your files and tells you how to pay to get them un-encrypted.
    We have over 10,000 users, and the incidents are a couple each day, but its 'out there'.

Don't click into websites just because Google shows them to you. Paste the actual site into your browser.

Don't open email attachments unless you know the sender and know why they are sending you that attachment.

Make sure to turn on full file names. So you see the whole name and not hide the 'standard file types'. In Win 8.1 go to File Explorer/View, and make sure 'File Name Extensions' is checked. That way you will see if a file is a 'DOC' (good) or 'DOC.JS' (bad).

Practice 'Safe Computing'. Make sure your Virus program is active and up-to-date, and don't open 'iffy' sites/attachments.

'Social Engineering' is the main avenue of attack. Dont do silly things
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

I'll second the motion on this one.

Just a reference on this as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

I would also add that even if your anti-virus is up-to-date, don't take that as an assumption you're safe to open any unfamiliar attachments in e-mail messages. There are new variants of these infections coming out all the time, and usually one step ahead of a lot of the anti-virus vendors. It's better just to delete them; otherwise, the only good way to get rid of this junk if you're infected is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows......

Comment

A LOT of it is about 'social engineering'. That means that YOU need to not be an idiot. Don't click unless you know who sent it.
      The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.

Comment

If some web page asks you to approve a file download please DONT DO IT unless you specifically asked for it. Your 'default answer needs to be 'No' or 'Cancel'.

Lots of malware right now. Most is on websites, especially low-cost ones, like the things that Churches and other non-profits favor because of cost.

Comment

Bump! Important...

Comment

Originally posted by Hootmon View Post
            Make sure to turn on full file names. So you see the whole name and not hide the 'standard file types'. In Win 8.1 go to File Explorer/View, and make sure 'File Name Extensions' is checked. That way you will see if a file is a 'DOC' (good) or 'DOC.JS' (bad).
            Thank you for watching out for us, Hoot (and macrohard).

I still have Windows 7, and I have my folder view set to "Details". I can see that a file is a Microsoft Word Document, but I can't see what the file extension is unless I right-click on the file. Is there a better way to do this?
            Matt 16:27 | Rom 3:23 | Rom 10:9 | 1 Thes 5:9-10 | Ps 34:8

Comment

Another nice trick to check a website one is not sure about is here:

https://www.virustotal.com/

You can copy a website link, click on the URL tab and paste the link and run a scan.....it will use all the anti-virus companies scan engines to determine if a site is malicious.....

An example:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/1a...is/1437183721/

Comment

Originally posted by Haeddre View Post
                Thank you for watching out for us, Hoot (and macrohard).

I still have Windows 7, and I have my folder view set to "Details". I can see that a file is a Microsoft Word Document, but I can't see what the file extension is unless I right-click on the file. Is there a better way to do this?
                http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ions=windows-7

Comment

Any popup for *.js files, cancel.

Comment

I adhere to the longstanding practice of never opening an email from someone I don't know or any entity I do not already do business or otherwise correspond with.

Better to be safe than sorry!
                    sigpic
                    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

Agreed.

If you don't know it. Don't click it.

Comment

Most attack at work come from web-browsing lately. Its not just about email

Comment

Got it. Thanks!
                          Matt 16:27 | Rom 3:23 | Rom 10:9 | 1 Thes 5:9-10 | Ps 34:8

Comment

Most recent events at work have been via Compromised Websites.

Unfortunately, a lot of those seem to be from low cost alternatives, which makes non-profits especially vulnerable.

Active Web protection helps a bit, but not if you 'click through'. Several of our events lately have been from those ignoring the warnings.

You NEED good active browser protection. Just clicking on the wrong link can be enough.

It doesnt matter if it was 'OK Yesterday'. Most attacks are 'Zero Day' now. NOW is what matters.

Comment

Also make sure to backup important files. Preferably to a removable drive that is disconnected after backup (the virus will encrypt files on all attached drives) or to a hidden share on another computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X