New phone recommendations, please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New phone recommendations, please?

Will probably need one in next few days. On my question on charging last fall, may have been the cord as it finally died tonight, isn't going in totallyand was still charging a bit slower. Though I got 9 more months (with few specials out though.)

I mostly do calling and texting, some Internet work but mostly just e-mailing in general and answering e-mails with Global Media Outreach. About 1,000 pictures on it so I take them but not gobs. My point is I'm not a huge video watcher so don't need for that, also no gaming. Checking a few other sites, too - Facebook, etc. - once every few days.

I have a Samsung S5, have seen reviews not as favorable for the 9 or 9+ as the 8 at the Verizon sotre. Want to stick with Android (though I guess if there's a fabulous iphone I'd think about it. I presume the Verizon store carries those, too.)

I need a big screen with larger fonts if possible. I am legally blind. That also means I might drop it more easily than some and need to be able to put a protective case on it easily. I have read that the S9 or 9+, forget which, had problems with texts going to wrong people and other things being pressed at random - though I guess a lot of newer phones have bugs. Oh,I also have a hearing deficit so though I can hear really well with a hearing aid I need a microphone that is still pretty good with calls. So, one that does't just change settings at random by itself.

What do you recommend? My mom will be getting one, too, most likely, as we got at the same time before. She can usuallyi figure things out pretty well on them but both of us are a little slow with them so don't want something overly complicated.

Thanks.
    John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

I had an S7 and liked it. My son has that now and I have an S9. Mine aren't the plus sizes. If you want bang for the buck and want a high end phone you might see if you can get an S7 (plus size, whatever it is called) off of Amazon. If you can find one they can be a lot less expensive than when they were first out. Samsung makes it easy to transfer your files from one phone to another Samsung phone.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

I had one of the first year models of the Samsung Note and I now use one of the iphone 6Plus. Both phones were very good. I do however prefer the iphone 6Plus. The screen is very large on it and it might help you if you have vision issues. I think my Samsung Note was smaller, but they may have Samsungs in the Plus size now. You probably can't go wrong with either. However, I do prefer the iphone over Samsung. I guess it is a personal preference.
      Rapture Forums Ministries - Rapture Forums

Comment

Thanks, all. The S9 and S9+ were on sale at Best Buy starting Sunday and I got one, it is really nice. I had heard about the fragiity compared to others but since I got $300 off it was easy to get the 2 yars insurance against breaking as well as the normal screen protector. God has really blessed me the last couple years in my part-time business.
        John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Appears you got a pretty good price. Congrats and hope you like the phone. I'm guessing you got the plus model...
          Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

The 9 was actually not tht much smaller, and feels more comfortable clipped to my waste - trying the keyboards and such out on both, since I can make thing fond bigger it was easier to go with the one that was a few bucks a month less. The other's extra features weren't as important to me.

The only thing I can't figure out is the dictionary, trying to get words like "therr" and "hte" out or at least having them autocorrect to "there" and "the" - but after only 4 days of having it I'd say that's pretty good if that's all I can't figure out. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X