Got some favorite quotes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if.....???

-Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more! DR. SEUSS, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
    Is 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
    Luke 2:10-11 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Comment

• For if you ever feel sort of alone in your walk

-Resolution One: I will live for God. Resolution Two: If no one else does, I still will. JONATHAN EDWARDS

1 Kings 19:18 "Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and whose mouths have not kissed him.”
      Rom 11:4-5 And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
      ______

Comment

• Supreme empathy

-Christ literally walked in our shoes. JIM KELLER

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
        1 John 1:1-2 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 2 The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us.
        2 Cor 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

______

Comment

• Looking forward to eternity

-He who lays up treasures in heaven looks forward to eternity; he’s moving daily toward his treasures. To him, death is gain. RANDY ALCORN

Matt 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

For a related post, see #1045: http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...28#post2536528 "[If] you are storing up treasures in heaven, you're even more excited about going there!"

______

Comment

• Like they say, when eating an elephant, take one bite at a time

-If you’re running a 26-mile marathon, remember that every mile is run one step at a time. If you are writing a book, do it one page at a time. If you’re trying to master a new language, try it one word at a time. There are 365 days in the average year. Divide any project by 365 and you’ll find that no job is all that intimidating. CHARLES SWINDOLL

2 Thes 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance.

______

Comment

• Standing on the promises

-God makes a promise – faith believes it, hope anticipates it, patience quietly awaits it. UNK*

Luke 21:28 (Amp) Now when these things begin to occur, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption (deliverance) is drawing near.

*possibly D.L. MOODY

______

Comment

• He will come. Maybe sooner. Maybe later. Likely much sooner than many think. But, regardless, He WILL come and in this we rejoice.

-The promises of God are certain, but they do not all mature in 90 days. ADONIRAM GORDON

2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
                Ps 31:24 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.
                Rom 5:2 (Amp) Through Him also we have [our] access (entrance, introduction) by faith into this grace (state of God’s favor) in which we [firmly and safely] stand. And let us rejoice and exult in our hope of experiencing and enjoying the glory of God.

______

Comment

• Spreading sunshine

-Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. J. M. BARRIE
                  -A sure way for one to lift himself up is by helping to lift someone else. B. T. WASHINGTON

Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
                  Gal 6:9-10 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

______

Comment

• The outlook, the uplook and the foundation which survives

This is kind of a morose update, isn’t it? I can tell by the look on your faces. Not a very good outlook is it? Not a very good outlook. Do you think that maybe God is wanting for us as His people is to loosen our grip on this world? .....to ready us for the next? And does it not take a bad outlook?

I like how one so aptly quipped, “When the outlook is bad, try the uplook.” I would suggest that that is exactly what God is trying to do in and through this bad outlook--He’s trying to get us to look up and lift up our heads, because our redemption is drawing near. This is what Jesus said in Luke 21:28: “When these things--key word--begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” I’ll add to this, not only stand up and look up, but you first need to wake up from your spiritual slumber, because this is the reality, this is what’s happening, this is what’s coming.

Bear with me as I bring it in for a close. We’re going to close the way we began, concerning some Christians being blindsided, and this should the aforementioned bad outlook come to pass. I know I run the risk of an oversimplification, but here’s the thing: the foundation upon which our lives are built will utterly determine whether or not we’ll fall. J.D. FARAG*

Luke 21:28 (Amp) Now when these things begin to occur, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption (deliverance) is drawing near.
                    Rom 13:11-12 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
                    Matt 7:24-27 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
                    1 Cor 3:10-15 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

*From his “Mid-East Prophecy Update – January 3rd, 2016” beginning at 30:50 minutes

______

Comment

• Today’s Christians: privileged members of an especially commissioned end-times cast

-The fact that the Lord of Heaven has put me here at this strange, ominous, yet immensely fascinating time in history makes it all the more intriguing--even riveting, in terms of wanting to know what happens next. He has put you here, too, at this time when the final curtain is about to fall. He has trusted you to be an actor in at least part of the final scenes of this great, cosmic play called human history. No illustrious personages of the past--not Julius Caesar, not Napoleon Bonaparte, not Alexander the Great, not even Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, or Ronald Reagan were so privileged. We are about to serve as active members of a most especially commissioned cast who populates the end-times stage. TERRY JAMES*

Acts 17:26 From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.
                      Eph 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
                      Phil 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
                      Heb 13:20-21 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

*from his Nearing Midnight article of Jan 4, 2016, “Piercing the Perils of 2016”
                      http://www.raptureready.com/rap16.html

______

Comment

• Sharing joy

-When large numbers of people share their joy in common, the happiness of each is greater because each adds fuel to the other's flame. AUGUSTINE

Heb 10:23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

______

Comment

• More on the God-shaped vacuum

-What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace? This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself. BLAISE PASCAL

Mic 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
                          Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
                          Ps 73:28 But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.
                          Ps 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
                          Rom 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

For related posts, see:
                          #887 Possessions, contentment and the God-shaped vacuum in one's heart
                          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...09#post2510209
                          #988 A God-shaped vacuum
                          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...24#post2527224

______

Comment

• Happiness and virtue

-Happiness is secured through virtue; it is a good attained by man's own will. THOMAS AQUINAS
                            -The way to be truly happy is to be truly human, and the way to be truly human is to be truly godly. J.I. PACKER
                            -Do not be deceived; happiness and enjoyment do not lie in wicked ways. ISAAC WATTS
                            -Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible. AUGUSTINE
                            -If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world. DAVID BRAINERD
                            -The aggregate happiness of society, which is best promoted by the practise of a virtuous policy, is, or ought to be, the end of all government. GEORGE WASHINGTON
                            -If man is not made for God, why is he happy only in God? BLAISE PASCAL
                            -Those that look to be happy must first look to be holy. RICHARD SIBBES
                            -The strength and the happiness of a man consists in finding out the way in which God is going, and going in that way too. HENRY W. BEECHER
                            -The only truly happy men I have ever known were Christians. JOHN RANDOLPH

Prov 16:20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.
                            Prov 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
                            Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
                            Deut 10:12-13 And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?
                            John 15:8-11 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”

______

Comment

• Enjoying today's blessings

-Do not look back on happiness, or dream of it in the future. You are only sure of today; do not let yourself be cheated out of it. HENRY WARD BEECHER
                              -The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet. J. OPPENHEIM

Is 42:20 "You have seen many things, but have paid no attention; your ears are open, but you hear nothing."
                              1 Thes 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
                              John 1:16 From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.
                              Eph 5:15-16 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
                              Ps 103:2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--
                              Ps 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

______

Comment

• Courage and communication: speaking up, listening, patience, et al.

-Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. WINSTON CHURCHILL

Courage and strength
                                1 Cor 16:13-14 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                                Ps 18:32 It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
                                Is 51:7 "Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have taken my instruction to heart: Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults."
                                Rom 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
                                Eph 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
                                Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Speaking up for others
                                Prov 31:8-9 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
                                Is 1:17 learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.
                                Mat 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

Gentleness, patience, love, self-control and respect
                                1 Pet 2:17 Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
                                Eph 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
                                Prov 18:13 He who answers before listening--that is his folly and his shame.
                                Eph 4:15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
                                1 Pet 1:22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
                                Prov 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
                                Prov 27:9 Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.
                                1 Tim 5:1-2 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.
                                Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

For related posts, see:
                                #234 [Strength and] Gentleness
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...11#post2372711
                                #543 Courage is contagious
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...37#post2447137
                                #953 The inspiring example of a good Christian soldier
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...41#post2521241

______

Comment

Working...
                                X