No announcement yet.

Got some favorite quotes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you so much, Tiger Lily, for keeping this thread going. When I need a lift, I know where to go to be encouraged - this very thread! All your hard work is such a blessing, and I am sure that the Lord is so very pleased!
    Luke 12:27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Comment

• lilies of the field - Thank you, that makes me feel good!
      - - - -
      Testing for truth

-It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. THOMAS PAINE

On truth
      1 Thes 5:21-22 Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.
      2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
      1 John 4:1-3 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
      Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
      Titus 1:1-3 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,
      John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
      John 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
      2 Tim 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
      1 John 5:9-12 We accept man's testimony, but God's testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his son. Anyone who believes in the son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
      John 17:17 “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.”

On those who teach error
      Matt 7:15-16b “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. . . . ”
      Jude 1:4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
      Rom 1:18-20 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
      John 8:44 "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
      2 Cor 11:13-15 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
      1 John 2:22-23 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

Related posts:
      164. Discernment
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...05#post2348505
      210. The REAL reason some reject the Bible
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2364942
      373. An insight into unbelief
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...68#post2404768
      375. Absolutes
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2405342
      440. False Prophets
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...17#post2418517
      1290. Truth, lies and perception
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...07#post2578407
      1504. Truth
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...17#post2599017
      1643. A chilling example for not believing everything we hear (especially as the days get darker)
      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...61#post2609061

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
      ______

Comment

• Stubborn people who refuse to listen

-To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. THOMAS PAINE
        -You can lead a buffalo anywhere it wants to go. Common saying

Is 42:20 “You have seen many things, but you pay no attention; your ears are open, but you do not listen.”
        Ezek 12:2 “Son of man, you are living among a rebellious people. They have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious people.”
        2 Tim 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
        Zec 7:11 “But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and stopped up their ears.”
        Jer 7:24 “‘But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They went backward and not forward.’”
        Prov 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
        Is 30:15b . . . “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.”
        Rom 2:4-5 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.
        2 Cor 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
        2 Pet 2:10-12 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;11 yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.12 But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.

Related posts:
        89. [Two kinds of people]
        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...40#post2321440
        497. Voluntary transformation
        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...66#post2435666
        1231. None so blind
        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...60#post2567460
        1603. When God lets the rebellious have what they want
        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...07#post2605207
        1861. Testing for truth [previous post]
        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...08#post2628708

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
        ______

Comment

• Plain talking for effective communication

-Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
          -Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood. WILLIAM PENN
          -Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all. SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL

Eccl 6:11 The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?
          Prov 15:28a The heart of the righteous weighs its answers . . .
          Prov 15:2a The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright . . .
          Prov 17:27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
          Prov 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
          1 Cor 9:19-23 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
          Deut 32:2 Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
          1 Pet 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
          1 Thes 5:14b . . . encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
          Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
          1 Cor 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
          1 Cor 16:14 Do everything in love.
          Phil 4:5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Related posts:
          144. [How to get your message across well]
          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...38#post2339138
          1816. Speaking and listening in a way others enjoy
          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2625042

______

Comment

• Sticking to your guns

-One half the troubles in this life can be traced to saying yes too quickly and not saying no soon enough. JOSH BILLINGS
            -He that always gives way to others will end in having no principles of his own. AESOP

Eph 6:10-17 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
            1 Cor 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
            1 Pet 5:8-9 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
            Luke 21:19 By standing firm you will gain life.

Related posts:
            183. Standing Firm
            http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...77#post2353877
            1524. Going against the flow
            http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...19#post2600019

______

Comment

• A popular story on the folly of envy

-A black crow was happy until he saw a white swan. Admiring how exquisitely white the swan was made the crow envious. He thought the swan must be the happiest bird in the world.

The white swan saw a multicolored parrot. Admiring how strikingly colorful the parrot was made the swan envious. She thought the parrot must be the happiest bird in the world.

The parrot saw an elegant peacock in a cage at the zoo. Admiring how stunningly resplendent the peacock was made the parrot envious. He thought the peacock must be the happiest bird in the world.

The peacock saw the crow flying near his cage at the zoo. Noting how blissfully free the crow was made the peacock envious. He thought the crow must be the happiest bird in the world.

The moral of the story: Happiest are those who are content with what they do have and don’t compare themselves with others or stress over what they don’t have.____ Original Author Unknown

Phil 4:11-12 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
              Heb 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
              Ex 20:17 "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
              Prov 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.
              Ps 49:16-17 Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him.
              Ps 103:2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits—
              1 Thes 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
              Col 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
              1 Cor 7:29-31 What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
              Ps 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Previously posted related quotes:
              -Comparison is the thief of joy. THEODORE ROOSEVELT
              -Comparison, more than reality, makes men happy or wretched. THOMAS FULLER
              -Don't envy anybody. Every person has something no other person has. Develop that one thing and make it outstanding. UNK
              -He is richest who is content with the least. SOCRATES
              -Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction. HARRY IRONSIDE
              -Thou that hast given so much to me, Give one thing more--a grateful heart. GEORGE HERBERT
              -Contentment is one of the most distinguishing traits of the godly person, because a godly person has his heart focused on God rather than on possessions or position or power. JERRY BRIDGES
              -You say, "If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied." You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled. CHARLES SPURGEON
              -I frequently sat down to my meat with thankfulness, and admir’d the hand of God’s providence, which had thus spread my table in the wilderness. I learn’d to look more upon the bright side of my condition, and less upon the dark side, and to consider what I enjoy’d, rather than what I wanted; and this gave me sometimes such secret comforts, that I cannot express them; and which I take notice of here, to put those discontented people in mind of it, who cannot enjoy comfortably what God has given them; because they see and covet something that He has not given them. All our discontents about what we want appear’d to me to spring from the want of thankfulness for what we have. DANIEL DEFOE, Robinson Crusoe
              -I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances. MARTHA WASHINGTON, First Lady
              -I'm just thankful for everything, all the blessings in my life, trying to stay that way. I think that's the best way to start your day and finish your day. It keeps everything in perspective. TIM TEBOW
              -We would be more grateful if we knew how much of what we take for granted is planned by God. UNK
              -No matter what our circumstance, we can find a reason to be thankful. DAVID JEREMIAH
              -Instead of complaining at his lot, a contented man is thankful that his condition and circumstances are no worse than they are. Instead of greedily desiring something more than the supply of his present need, he rejoices that God still cares for him. Such an one is "content" with such as he has. A. W. PINK
              -The antidote for covetousness is contentment. The two are in opposition. Whereas the covetous, greedy person worships himself, the contented person worships God. Contentment comes from trusting God. JOHN MACARTHUR
              -The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! HENRY WARD BEECHER

-How to feel blessed
              If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who won't survive the week.
              If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 20 million people around the world.
              If you attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death, you are more blessed than almost three billion people in the world.
              If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.
              If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
              If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful, you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.
              If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.
              You are so blessed in ways you may never even know. by STEPHEN EARDLEY

______

Comment

• Preparedness and peace

-To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace. GEORGE WASHINGTON, from his first State of the Union Address, January 8, 1790

Eccl 9:18 Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good.
                1 Cor 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Related posts:
                1060. Strength, courage, wisdom and unity against evil
                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2539342
                1332. Wisdom and experience
                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...01#post2583101

______

Comment

• I've been reading and learning much lately that just has me more and more in awe of God and who He is. I read this the other day -- "God is not merely knowledgeable; He is omniscient -- limitless in His knowing. He knows all things, not because He has learned them, but because He is their origin." (Jen Wilkin, "None Like Him" p 109)

Genesis (which means "origin") 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
                  Colossians 1:15-16 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities -- all things were created through Him and for Him.
                  Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Comment

• Criticism vs. character and self-control

-Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving. DALE CARNEGIE, How to Win Friends and Influence People

Is 51:7 "Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have taken my instruction to heart: Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults."
                    Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
                    Prov 15:1b . . . but grievous words stir up anger.
                    Phil 1:27-28 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God.
                    Jude 1:16 These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.
                    James 1:19-20 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
                    Prov 17:27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

Related posts:
                    167. Feelings of inferiority
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...37#post2349537
                    168. Let your light shine
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...96#post2349796
                    453. [Humility OR Taking the wind out of a tale-bearer's sails]
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...66#post2422566
                    468. Speaking well of others
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...54#post2426954
                    1221. How to avoid criticism…..or not
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...40#post2566140
                    1348. Understanding the critics (people who may not feel much self-worth)
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...56#post2584256
                    1349. "The Man in the Arena"
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...63#post2584263
                    1355. Withholding unnecessary criticism
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...74#post2584474
                    1751. The impact of just three fitly spoken words
                    http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...47#post2620147

______

Comment

• There seems to be so much unnecessary criticism in the world these days. Perhaps the below and previous posts will help us understand part of what is going on.

Understanding the unhappy heart inside many critics

-Those who put others down often do so because they feel the need to lift themselves higher than their victim. ANON
                      -We are never more discontented with others than when we are discontented with ourselves. HENRI-FREDERIC AMIEL
                      -If we had no faults we should not take so much pleasure in noting those of others. FRANÇOIS DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD, Maxims
                      -When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person; it merely says something about our own need to be critical. WINSTON CHURCHILL
                      -Some men do as much begrudge others a good name, as they want one themselves: and perhaps that is the reason of it. WILLIAM PENN
                      -He is always the severest censor of the merit of others who has the least worth of his own. ELIAS LYMAN MAGOON
                      -The greater the feeling of inferiority that has been experienced, the more powerful is the urge to conquest and the more violent the emotional agitation. ALFRED ADLER

Prov 15:28 The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.
                      Rom 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
                      Rom 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
                      Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
                      Eph 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
                      2 Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
                      2 Cor 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
                      Col 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Related posts:
                      1021. When defects are not sinful, the "more perfect" are gentle and quiet
                      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...30#post2532530
                      1723. Getting along
                      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...89#post2617189
                      1869. Criticism vs. character and self-control _____ [previous post]
                      http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...32#post2629332

______

Comment

• When critics don’t realize how deeply their words wound

-The person who offends writes as if it was written on sand, and the person who is offended reads it as if it were written on marble. Italian proverb

Ps 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.
                        James 1:19-20 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
                        Prov 29:20 Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
                        Prov 15:28 The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.
                        Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
                        Prov 10:19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Related posts:
                        292. Choosing words carefully
                        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...92#post2388392
                        839. [Sticks and stones]
                        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...89#post2501989
                        1417. Slips of the tongue
                        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...79#post2591079
                        1869. Criticism vs. character and self-control
                        1870. Understanding the unhappy heart inside many critics
                        http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...05#post2629405

______

Comment

• Criticism, critics and the price of success

-The price of success is to bear the criticism of envy. DENIS WAITLEY
                          -The man who is anybody and who does anything is surely going to be criticized, vilified, and misunderstood. This is part of the penalty for greatness . . . ELBERT HUBBARD
                          -Curiously enough, it is often the people who refuse to assume any responsibility who are apt to be the sharpest critics of those who do. ELEANOR ROOSEVELT
                          -Character is not made in a crisis, it is only exhibited. ROBERT FREEMAN
                          -Any [donkey] can kick a barn down, but it takes a carpenter to build it. SAM RAYBURN
                          -Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. ZEUXIS
                          -You shall judge of a man by his foes as well as by his friends. JOSEPH CONRAD
                          -You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. WINSTON CHURCHILL
                          -A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's. JEAN PAUL RICHTER
                          -People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character. RALPH WALDO EMERSON
                          -I have never found, in a long experience of politics, that criticism is ever inhibited by ignorance. HAROLD MACMILLAN

Ps 5:8 Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies--make straight your way before me.
                          Ps 34:21 Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
                          Prov 8:13 "To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech."
                          Prov 24:19-20 Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out.
                          Prov 27:19 As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.
                          Matt 5:44-45 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
                          Rom 12:19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.
                          Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
                          Luke 6:44-45 "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."
                          Rom 1:29-31 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy.
                          2 Tim 3:1-5 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
                          Eph 6:10-13 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Related posts:
                          1869. Criticism vs. character and self-control
                          1870. Understanding the unhappy heart inside many critics
                          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...05#post2629405
                          1871. When critics don’t realize how deeply their words wound
                          http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...98#post2629498

______

Comment

• "Taking pains to do what is right" helps show that the critics are wrong

-When men speak ill of thee, live so as nobody may believe them. PLATO

2 Cor 8:21 For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men.
                            Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
                            Luke 6:22-23 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
                            Luke 6:26 “Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.”
                            John 15:18-21 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.
                            Rom 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.
                            2 Cor 1:12 Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace.
                            2 Cor 4:2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
                            Phil 1:27-28 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God.
                            1 John 4:5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.
                            1 Tim 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
                            Titus 2:7-8 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
                            James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
                            1 Pet 2:12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Related posts: (see last four posts and the one below)
                            1363. Reflections
                            http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2585342

______

Comment

• When you are wounded by criticism

For victims of unwarranted criticism:
                              -When criticized, consider the source. Common advice
                              -When certain persons abuse us, let us ask ourselves what description of characters it is that they admire; we shall often find this a very consolatory question. CHARLES CALEB COLTON
                              -Show me the person you honor, for I know better by that the kind of person you are. For you show me what your idea of humanity is. THOMAS CARLYLE
                              -Prejudice, which sees what it pleases, cannot see what is plain. AUBREY THOMAS DE VERE

Eccl 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.
                              Rom 12:19-20 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if the is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."
                              1 Sam 24:12 “May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you.”
                              Ps 37:7-9 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret--it leads only to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.
                              Ps 73:12-19 This is what the wicked are like--always carefree, they increase in wealth. Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning. If I had said, "I will speak thus," I would have betrayed your children. When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny. Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin. How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!
                              Rom 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
                              1 Thes 5:15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
                              1 Pet 2:12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

For foolish and hypocritical critics:
                              -He who throws dirt always loses ground. Common saying
                              -One mustn't criticize other people on grounds where he can't stand perpendicular himself. MARK TWAIN
                              -Self-righteousness is the devil's masterpiece to make us think well of ourselves. THOMAS ADAMS
                              -Criticism is the disapproval of people, not for having faults, but having faults different from your own. UNK
                              -When we come to judge others it is not by ourselves as we really are that we judge them, but by an image that we have formed of ourselves from which we have left out everything that offends our vanity or would discredit us in the eyes of the world. SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Prov 18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.
                              Prov 26:12 Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
                              Matt 7:1-5 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.3 Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”
                              Rom 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
                              Job 20:4-7 Knowest thou not this of old, since man was placed upon earth,5 That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?6 Though his excellency mount up to the heavens, and his head reach unto the clouds;7 Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung: they which have seen him shall say, Where is he?
                              1 Pet 2:1 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.
                              Ps 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.

Related posts: (see last five posts and the ones below)
                              1021. When defects are not sinful, the "more perfect" are gentle and quiet
                              http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...30#post2532530

______

Comment

• Criticism in relationships

-Every criticism, judgment, diagnosis, and expression of anger is the tragic expression of an unmet need. MARSHALL ROSENBERG
                                -People tend to criticize their spouse most loudly in the area where they themselves have the deepest emotional need. GARY CHAPMAN
                                -A woman's flattery may inflate a man's head a little; but her criticism goes straight to his heart, and contracts it so that it can never again hold quite as much love for her. HELEN ROWLAND
                                -By continually scolding someone, they in time become accustomed to it and despise your reproof. French proverb
                                -Cold words freeze people, and hot words scorch them, and bitter words make them bitter, and wrathful words make them wrathful. BLAISE PASCAL
                                -If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it. EARL WILSON
                                -It is difficult to heal the wound of reproach. LUCULLUS
                                -Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you. WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD

Eph 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
                                Eph 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
                                Prov 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
                                Prov 15:4 The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
                                Prov 18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.
                                Prov 18:13 He who answers before listening--that is his folly and his shame.
                                Prov 19:11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
                                Prov 21:23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.
                                Prov 29:20 Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
                                Eccl 5:6a Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. . . .
                                1 Cor 13:4-8a Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . . .
                                1 Cor 16:14 Do everything in love.
                                Gal 5:22-23a But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. . . .
                                Col 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
                                Heb 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
                                1 Thes 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
                                James 3:17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
                                1 Pet 3:4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
                                1 Pet 3:8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.

Related posts: (see last six posts and the ones below)
                                160. On Interrupting
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...99#post2347199
                                292. Choosing words carefully
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...92#post2388392
                                605. What might make forgiveness easier: doing enemies a good turn
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...464#post246146
                                1257. Gentleness and peace
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...83#post2571683
                                1355. Withholding unnecessary criticism
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...74#post2584474
                                1515. Hot heads and cold hearts
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...06#post2599406
                                1655. The importance of listening
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...13#post2610213
                                1816. Speaking and listening in a way others enjoy
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...42#post2625042
                                1821. Judicious charity
                                http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1806...36#post2625136

______

Comment

Working...
                                X