Truck lovers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck lovers

Are any of the men on this site truck lovers? If yes, who makes the best truck?

I was a Ford man for years, but 2 years ago I bought a Ram 3500. We travel a lot towing a fifth Wheel trailer, and this truck makes climbing and descending mountains a breeze.
    Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Originally posted by Andy C View Post
    Are any of the men on this site truck lovers? If yes, who makes the best truck?

I was a Ford man for years, but 2 years ago I bought a Ram 3500. We travel a lot towing a fifth Wheel trailer, and this truck makes climbing and descending mountains a breeze.
    Everybody knows that Ford makes the best truck <wink wink>

I've got a 1999 and 2000 Ford F250 crew cab long bed PSD. The '99 was the first issue of the major redesign of the F250 body. I special ordered mine and got it a few months after they started hitting the road. It was my first full size pickup and I still remember that the lane didn't quite seem wide enough for the truck and the whole family enjoyed the smiles and thumbs up we got from the big rig drivers as they eyed the new F250 (the youngins especially enjoyed all the attention we were getting). Fast forward to years later and they must have widened the lanes because I have plenty of room now. As old and beat up as they now are, both those trucks still feel new to me. They've both been great vehicles, but especially the first one. They were built at the Kentucky plant and just the other day I was talking with my daughter about how the Kentukians at the Super Duty plant must have been building those first vehicles with a whole lot of pride. The 1999, which arrived in early '98 has been one of the most trouble free vehicles I've ever owned.

The 7.3 liter diesel proved to be a good edition. Now they're smaller and even more powerful than mine... but I wonder sometimes why so much power is needed. I never met a hill I couldn't climb easy enough, whether loaded and pulling or not.

I figure that in about 4 years I'll sadly part with them both and get one new one. The new one will cost more than these two combined... sad to say. I keep hoping they'll produce some breakthrough engine for big trucks that gets super duper fuel mileage. Mine get around 15-17 mpg, on average. The winter months brings that average down since the trucks spend a good amount of time idling in the winter... and warming up.

Anyhows, my vote for best goes to Ford.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

I know what you mean about staying between the lines. I had never driven a truck with dually tires, and that makes my back end 8 feet wide. If I get distracted for a second, or look around, a bumpy road can cause me to drift into another lane. I drove it for a month, then bought the 33 foot fifth wheel, and it is also 8 feet wide. Very easy driving down the roads now.

On the highway, I get about 16-18 MPG, and towing, about 11 MPG.

It's funny what a mid life crisis can cause one to do. I'd never driven a big truck, never towed anything in my life, and I'm definitely not mechanical. So why not buy a Ram 3500, dually, and a mid size RV Trailer. What can go wrong

What sold me the most on this truck vice a F350, was the standard option of the Diesel engine exhaust brake. Combine that with the tow haul system, when I'm cruising down a long 6 percent grade, I don't have to touch the brakes to control my descent speed. As an inexperienced driver while towing, this was a must combination package for me. No white knuckle rides down the mountains of Oregon for me
      Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Comment

I know what you mean about staying between the lines. I had never driven a truck with dually tires, and that makes my back end 8 feet wide. If I get distracted for a second, or look around, a bumpy road can cause me to drift into another lane. I drove it for a month, then bought the 33 foot fifth wheel, and it is also 8 feet wide. Very easy driving down the roads now.

On the highway, I get about 16-18 MPG, and towing, about 11 MPG.

It's funny what a mid life crisis can cause one to do. I'd never driven a big truck, never towed anything in my life, and I'm definitely not mechanical. So why not buy a Ram 3500, dually, and a mid size RV Trailer. What can go wrong

What sold me the most on this truck vice a F350, was the standard option of the Diesel engine exhaust brake. Combine that with the tow haul system, when I'm cruising down a long 6 percent grade, I don't have to touch the brakes to control my descent speed. As an inexperienced driver while towing, this was a must combination package for me. No white knuckle rides down the mountains of Oregon for me
        Andy C, that was a long post to say you agree that Ford makes the best trucks but you had to go second best because you needed the diesel engine exhaust brake that the Dodge offered...

3 trees

Comment

Trucks

Most everybody here knows the Chevrolet Duramax with the Allison transmission is the way to go. I usually see the Fords and Dodges in the shop getting a new transmission when I drive by!

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Given View Post
            Most everybody here knows the Chevrolet Duramax with the Allison transmission is the way to go. I usually see the Fords and Dodges in the shop getting a new transmission when I drive by!
            Another wrain bashed Chevy owner!

I think the truth of the matter is American auto manufacturers make good trucks, but I'd never think that any match or beat Ford...
            Last edited by Tall Timbers; May 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM.

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
              Andy C, that was a long post to say you agree that Ford makes the best trucks but you had to go second best because you needed the diesel engine exhaust brake that the Dodge offered...

Yes, Ford makes a good truck. At times, I let myself suffer from the sin of vanity, by wanting the best. So, to fix my problem, next truck will be a Ford.

Comment

Yes, Ford makes a good truck. At times, I let myself suffer from the sin of vanity, by wanting the best. So, to fix my problem, next truck will be a Ford.
                I figure my next Super Duty will be my last as I expect it will outlast me. I'm considering getting a gasser when the time comes mainly on account of the price difference for the diesel... though I love the diesels. The gassers nowadays have more power than anyone really needs, unless you're pulling 20K, maybe, which I don't anticipate needing to do.

Once I rented a quite heavy piece of equipment when we had ice on the roads. It came with it's own trailer and was wired wrong. It was too late when I realized the trailer brakes weren't working. I managed to get it to the work site and back but it was scary going.

3 trees

Comment

Ex 95 f150 club cab.

Rusted to death in the 3-4 years I had it. Fuel tanks leaked, shackle mounts collapsed, front end - radiator frame....... and always something to fix. (But I could do most of the fixes economically.)

V8[302] ran flawlessly, manual tranny eventually died (+150k miles) but rebuilt for $500 and was like new. Had it been an F250 I'd probably still have it as the 150s all appear to be rust buckets.

Before that I had an 85 Ramcharger. Excellent truck. Unfortunately I wanted cargo space and had high expectations of the Ford.

Currently I have a 1500 GMC Sierra 3 door. Wife loves it too. Being that I've had very good luck with Chevys, my next vehicle will likely be ...either a Hummer or a Subaru.
                  It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
                  sigpic

Comment

Truck

Have owned a 1995 Ford Ranger & a 2006 Ford Ranger PU; liked both of them. Purchased a 2010 Chevy Silverado Jun3, 2010. Short bed and red; Love it! Has just over 35,000 miles on it. Drives & rides better than my wife's 2009 CRV.

Comment

We just watched our '01 F-150 drive away for the last time. Great truck (over 230k miles), but was rusting pretty badly. The guy who bought it was thrilled and is going to do some body work to it and hopefully get several more years of use from it.

Comment

I couldn't afford a full size but I've had a '99 Dodge Dakota for 13 years. It's roomy and I have lots of space a friend of mine who is 6'5" gets in and out okay and has clearance. I have 138k miles. It has a 5.2L V8 and a 5 speed manual and 4WD. It has been fun. The paint has worn off the roof somewhat. I'd rather put a rebuilt engine in it than replace it. You can't get them anymore and I can't afford new or even slightly used. Gets me to work in the snow.
                        Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
                        Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
                        Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

My wife drives a 99 Ranger 4x4 with 160K on it, the AC is still nice n chilly but the 4x4 went out this spring not sure what that will cost to fix. I drive a 2001 Sport Trac with 266K that was purchased with 19k on it. It has had brakes and fluids changed at appropriate intervals, and ball joints(needs again) and tie rods. Neither of us wants to part with our rides.
                          John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

Trucks

On a quiet night around here you can hear the Fords rusting out.

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Given View Post
                              On a quiet night around here you can hear the Fords rusting out.

Comment

Working...
                              X