Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

The Gun Toter's thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimFromOhio View Post
    I just purchased a DMPS Oracle rifle. It came with no sights so I need to purchase a scope. I have little knowledge of scopes (this is my first ar) and was wondering if some of you with more knowledge than I could help. I am on a pretty tight budget so I need something that is good and inexpensive. Any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.
    That is a nice rifle. Plan to use it for hunting or defense? Or both?

(After you answer that, I will step back a bit and let those
    who are really versed on optics answer.)

Comment

• Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
      That is a nice rifle. Plan to use it for hunting or defense? Or both?

(After you answer that, I will step back a bit and let those
      who are really versed on optics answer.)
      I plan on using for defense and target shooting. Found it for a pretty reasonable price (that is why I purchased). Was originally going to purchase a shotgun first, but couldn't pass up the price. I don't believe that I can use this for hunting in Ohio.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimFromOhio View Post
        I just purchased a DMPS Oracle rifle. It came with no sights so I need to purchase a scope. I have little knowledge of scopes (this is my first ar) and was wondering if some of you with more knowledge than I could help. I am on a pretty tight budget so I need something that is good and inexpensive. Any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.
        My husband's favorite scope is Nightforce, but that's pretty spendy! His next favorite is Vortex. He said you can get them fairly cheap without the mil dot reticle (sp?).

Comment

• Scopes/optics

Bushnell is good and economical and BSA has done well for me. I still have a Tru-glo Reflex soldiering on.

Burris, Nikon have been my favorites.
          It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Koalie View Post
            My husband's favorite scope is Nightforce, but that's pretty spendy! His next favorite is Vortex. He said you can get them fairly cheap without the mil dot reticle (sp?).
            Nightforce scopes are great hunting scopes. Vortex makes lines of "red dot" scopes as well as hunting scopes. I asked about the use of the rifle, as that makes all the difference in the kind of scope needed. Had I noted the heading Jim had already used: "Red Dot Scope/sight" I would have already know that. Duh.

Originally posted by Wally View Post
            Scopes/optics
            Bushnell is good and economical and BSA has done well for me. I still have a Tru-glo Reflex soldiering on.
            Personally, I have a fascination with the new red dot scopes with a selectable magnifier.
            Do you have any experience with, or suggestions for, them?

Michihale Kalashnikov determined that rifle engagements at distances greater than 300 yards were extremely rare, and that is what he based his AK-47 design on. I would suspect that in Ohio, the opportunity for engagements beyond that distance would be rare also, due to obstacles which would limit sight distance. In my own urban environment (small city) I don't see much need for sights that are useful beyond 150 yards. OTOH, the need to deliver a precise shot at 100 yards could arise, if, for instance good guys and bad guys are intermingled (hostage situation, for instance), thus my question.

Comment

...........Personally, I have a fascination with the new red dot scopes with a selectable magnifier.
              Do you have any experience with, or suggestions for, them? ...................
              No I haven't seen the selectable type.

However, my experience with variable scopes usually wound up finding a best setting and then keeping it there. The only reason I would change scope magnification is I forgot my binoculars.

I like the tube type dot scopes for 50-100 yards. The BSA on my target 22 pistol is great but a little bulky, but when you can shoot quarters at 25 yards, it works for me.

You really have to match purpose-to firearm-to your own skill-to your eyesight, even then you may do well with one combination on a carbine and need a totally different one for a pistol.

I have a Burris fastfire3 on my Beretta 96a1, yet on my Beretta 84, open sights work excellently. My EBR-Evil Black Rifle has a reflex sight, while my bolt action rifles have premium scopes.

Perhaps the best thing to do is visit a gun club and watch the competition shoots. If possible you may even get to handle some of the firearms and see what works for you.
              It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Wally View Post
                Scopes/optics

I like EoTech's personally. They never lose their zero - at least the compact ones don't.
                I have a PO 3.5x21p, the Russian version of an ACOG. That thing is huge but IMHO it's superior to an ACOG with the exception of it's size. The field of view is amazing at 200 yards and above. It's also got a night-time reticle and flip over NV. If you're into AK's I highly recommend one.
                John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florian9 View Post
                  I like EoTech's personally. They never lose their zero - at least the compact ones don't.
                  I have a PO 3.5x21p, the Russian version of an ACOG. That thing is huge but IMHO it's superior to an ACOG with the exception of it's size. The field of view is amazing at 200 yards and above. It's also got a night-time reticle and flip over NV. If you're into AK's I highly recommend one.
                  Well, that sounds like a great scope for hunting in the Himalayas

I think Wally had the best advice so far:
                  Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  ... BSA has done well for me. I still have a Tru-glo Reflex soldiering on.
                  A good BSA or Nikon Red dot scope could be had for less than $200.
                  I don't know anything about Burris.

Comment

Well, that sounds like a great scope for hunting in the Himalayas

I like taking long range pop-shots with my 74's - it's perfect for that.
                    John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Comment

I like taking long range pop-shots with my 74's - it's perfect for that.
                      Cool dialect. We say pot-shots in these parts.

I think it has something to do with if you hit you have something for the cook-pot, if you miss ......... Heeeeeeeeeem... you go HUNGRY Bow Bow Bow.....[gotta know the Blues Bros song]

Burris makes a reflex sight I have on my Beretta. Excellent sight, yet the .40sw seemed to have caused a bullseye in the glass.
                      I called to find it has a life time guarantee, and it was replaced quickly. Excellent optic in my book with matching customer service.

sigpic

Comment

Cool dialect. We say pot-shots in these parts.

I think it has something to do with if you hit you have something for the cook-pot, if you miss ......... Heeeeeeeeeem... you go HUNGRY Bow Bow Bow.....[gotta know the Blues Bros song]
                        Well Wally you forget I'm in GA and we probably don't pronounce things exactly as they should be pronounced (or understood for that matter)

Comment

• Being from Maryland, I grew up without an accent.

It wuzznt 'til Ah visited mah Muhzurra relatives that thay lernt me to taulk raiht.

But did they laugh at my dutchified Jakey and Amos stories.

sigpic

Comment

Being from Maryland, I grew up without an accent.

It wuzznt 'til Ah visited mah Muhzurra relatives that thay lernt me to taulk raiht.

But did they laugh at my dutchified Jakey and Amos stories.
                            LOL!

Changing topics - ATF under Trump. He'll nominate (or maybe he already has) somebody new I'm sure. I'm thinking a reversal of the ban on Norinco's in China and their ammo. Not to mention the ridiculous ban on 7n6 from Russia and Saiga imports. Don Jr. and Eric Trump are gun enthusiasts who have already said they want to make obtaining silencers way easier. Thoughts?

Comment

... Don Jr. and Eric Trump are gun enthusiasts who have already said they want to make obtaining silencers way easier. Thoughts?
                              That sounds great. It is amazing to me how many miles we have come from the true meaning of the 2nd amendment. I don't want to have to learn sign language, just because my wife had to defend herself inside the house, and rendered herself deaf. I would also like to see the "tax" (another way of saying unconstitutional gun control) on Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns and certain other kinds of shotguns that would be good for home defense, go away.

Comment

That sounds great. It is amazing to me how many miles we have come from the true meaning of the 2nd amendment. I don't want to have to learn sign language, just because my wife had to defend herself inside the house, and rendered herself deaf. I would also like to see the "tax" (another way of saying unconstitutional gun control) on Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns and certain other kinds of shotguns that would be good for home defense, go away.
                                The Firearms Act of 1934 is blatantly Unconstitutional with regard to barrel lengths. IMHO almost all NRA advocates would want the tax stamps tossed out for SBR's and silencers. And I know what you mean about being rendered deaf with an indoor gunshot. Several years ago at an indoor range the rangemaster called for everybody to cease fire and back away from the lanes so he could fix a stuck target down range. Everybody took off their hearing protection to hear him speak and the dude next to me fires one last shot out of his 308 - my right ear hasn't been the same since.

Comment

Working...
                                X