The Gun Toter's thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
    I think she mentioned a 40S&W. With a flat nose bullet, it would be effective against wolf. I think if I were the one encountering either wolf or mountain lion, I might need to change mags in less than 9 seconds, because the first one would be empty.

My uncle carried a 44 Magnum, in case of close and violent encounters with bears, while hunting. I don't recommend it unless you are stout enough to shoot a box of ammo through it on any given Tuesday. Personally, I carry a 9mm, and my backup is a 9mm. I depend on knowing exactly what physical limitations an animal has, for my defense against them. (for instance, a pig cannot turn on a dime, nor can it go up a 3 foot vertical wall).
    Up here a 9mm wouldn't do for some of the potential adversaries we might face. I imagine it would in most places, though I'd prefer something longer barreled than a pistol to help me hit the target(s). I do like the idea of being able to shoot 14 times and then reload in a second or so. I'll usually carry a Ruger 44 Cal super blackhawk with 10 !/2 inch barrel, if I carry anything at all, but feel safer when I've got my 45/70 government.

Some would argue against the slow moving 45/70 load, but it's probably the best thing I've got. Many would prefer something along the lines of a .460 Weatherby Magnum or something along those lines. My biggest magnum is a .300, which is fine for anything we've got except our brown or white bears, and I've never seen a polar bear up close where I'm at since I'm just a wee bit on the south side of the arctic circle.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

• Now if they made a Thompson Contender in .50 BMG....

There is no need for 14 ifs, when you have One and Done.
      It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
        ... I'll usually carry a Ruger 44 Cal super blackhawk with 10 !/2 inch barrel, ...
        Most of us are not stout enough for the 44 Mag round.
        If anyone is facing the possibility of confronting a bear,
        there is just no good substitute for a long gun.

Some would argue against the slow moving 45/70 load,
        but it's probably the best thing I've got...
        The "slow moving" 405 grain bullet from that rifle seems to be surprisingly effective on big game.
        Due to its deep penetration, I imagine it would be fairly effective on bear, also.

I would probably opt for a 12 gauge slug, however,
        since they are easier to acquire.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
          Most of us are not stout enough for the 44 Mag round.
          If anyone is facing the possibility of confronting a bear,
          there is just no good substitute for a long gun.

The "slow moving" 405 grain bullet from that rifle seems to be surprisingly effective on big game.
          Due to its deep penetration, I imagine it would be fairly effective on bear, also.

I would probably opt for a 12 gauge slug, however,
          since they are easier to acquire.
          You'd think a 45/70 load would be more than enough, but the history of man v.s. brown bear up here favors the larger caliber magnum long gun loads. Now that I'm an old guy, I'm not even sure I want to shoot the 45/70 anymore. It packs quite a wallop. Back when I used to practice with it, I'd rarely get more than 5 rounds out of it before my shoulder would cry "uncle".

3 trees

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
            You'd think a 45/70 load would be more than enough, but the history of man v.s. brown bear up here favors the larger caliber magnum long gun loads. Now that I'm an old guy, I'm not even sure I want to shoot the 45/70 anymore. It packs quite a wallop. Back when I used to practice with it, I'd rarely get more than 5 rounds out of it before my shoulder would cry "uncle".
            Thicker shoulder recoil pad, maybe?
            Do they make them 3 inches thick?

I would probably need something like that for a 12 gauge,
            but I haven't shot one since the 70's, so I don't know.

One thing I have noticed on kill shots through the heart of many kinds of animals is that they will stay up and running far longer than a human with the same shot placement. In fact, I would venture to say that there is some relationship of muscle mass to brain mass (low in humans, high in game animals) that could be a predictor of how long an animal can function after a heart shot.

As that applies to dangerous animals, it gives the mortally wounded animal more time to return the favor.

Comment

• What Kind of Ammo Should we "stockpile"

This is part two of what is looking like a four five part series.
              (I had an "afterthought" as I was posting this, about someone who cannot afford to keep "extra" ammo, and I will say something about that in my next posting here)

In part one I laid the foundation idea that we should be building up some stores of ammo. (I put stockpiling in quotes, because I would use the same philosophy, whether I was going to "stockpile" a few hundred rounds, or tens of thousands)

But what kind of ammo?
              Everybody has an opinion, here is mine.

Well, there are basically six kinds of ammo that we, as patriots, might be interested in. The focus of the previous article was on ammo for practice. This can be pretty low cost, since a misfire or a slightly less accurate round isn't a major problem.

A caveat to this, though, is that for hunting ammo, your practice ammo should "fly" the same as your hunting ammo. So the same brand and same bullet weight is pretty much a must. The longer the range involved, the more your practice ammo needs to be closely matched to your best stuff. Many hunters just use the same stuff for practice that they use for hunting.

For shorter ranges, this is not a problem, however, many serious shooters want the bullet weight for practice to match what they carry for defense.

In general, Practice Ammo should be bought in bulk. You can shop around, on line, and get prices that are generally about two thirds or even half of what you would pay in local stores. In addition, I buy re-manufactured ammo to save even more.

Defense Ammo. I am talking about pistol ammo here. This has to be The Best Stuff. (But stay away from the exotic stuff.) Failure can be catastrophic, so I have no problem paying pretty steep prices for it. But you are going to burn through some of it. Why? You need to be sure it feeds and fires reliably from your pistol. I know guys who put at least 200 rounds through their pistol, just to be sure it feeds reliably. I would say at least one complete load through each magazine you have for your primary defense weapon. (more on magazines later)

Hunting ammo. Closely related to Defense Ammo, this needs to be quality stuff. Know what you plan to hunt, and do some research to find out what works best for your kind of game. Put a few rounds downrange to see exactly how it flies. Some very serious shooters, if they use more than one kind of ammo, keep a little book where they write a note about each kind of ammo they use, and how it flies.

Break Glass in case of Emergency. Some people stash some ammo that they hope to never have to use. The official name in the military is war readiness material. It has other names. Stuff to have in case things go seriously bad. For this, you might keep your eyes open for ammo that you would not normally buy for practice. For me, I don't generally buy anything from Wolf, or Tula, or any steel case ammo. But if the price were right, I might scoop some of it up. As I have said before, in an emergency, the ammo that you have in your gun is what you will use. Your practice ammo and your emergency stockpile ammo are not what you would want your life to depend on, but they will work if you have exhausted everything else. (Not a likely scenario, of course, but can't be ruled out.)

Closely related to that is ammo you might keep for "Barter." Stuff you don't shoot, but you know one of your relatives or a friend uses. Ammo that, in lean times, can be given to someone, or traded, to build good will. (Or even for money.)

The last kind of ammo I will cover here is 22LR. This will, in the future, go from being just barely plentiful to routinely short supply, on a regular basis. If things go badly, this will disappear from the shelves. Make a note of what you consider a good price (eight cents a round gets my attention) and stock up a little of it. I prefer subsonic (it is a bit quieter), but I also keep some Federal Automatch on hand, because I know some people swear by it.

Before I end this article, a word about magazines.

Everybody should have a couple extra. Some say ten per rifle. I don't know how many is enough. The US Army
              issues, for combat rifles, seven per rifle. Police and private security tend to carry up to three for their service pistol.

The most common rule I have heard is four for each pistol and ten for each rifle. If you are buying cheap ones, or
              buying them used, that might also be a factor.

Like everything here, these are just opinions.
              But if anyone has any questions at all, about ammunition.
              I will be glad to hear them.

Comment

• Effective against brown bears, white bears, Rodian bounty hunters, banthas and sarlacc worms.

Comment

• Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post

Effective against brown bears, white bears, Rodian bounty hunters, banthas and sarlacc worms.

I want one. Does the armament have such a kick that one's forehead might be endangered by the end of that scope? I especially need it for protection against banthas. They seem to like it in the colder climates.

3 trees

Comment

• I mentioned earlier, that I would say something about those who cannot afford to keep "extra" ammo.
                    This should be read by both those who are "of means" and those who are not.

Bottom Line First: You cannot do what you cannot do.

It is for those of us "with means." For those of us who are able to defend our families, and beyond that,
                    our communities, we need to be aware that we may need to defend those who cannot defend themselves.

If you are in that category that you can barely afford a firearm, let alone ammo, I would suggest getting
                    a revolver. They are simpler to operate, and will fire any round that fits correctly in their chamber. If you
                    look for a used revolver, you may find one that is under $100. You should only need to test it once to
                    insure it will fire, and to see what it feels like in your hand.

Those of us who are "of means" should be aware of family members that may need our help. They may
                    bulk at us buying them groceries, but would probably not bulk at us paying for a gun that they have
                    been considering buying. And there are those who cannot, for legal or medical reasons, keep a gun
                    in the house. That goes back, again, to being aware that we may need to defend those who cannot
                    defend themselves.

Comment

Not effective against sith lords.

I bet a .44 would've worked.

(Duke Skydriver) Negatory on the force there Darth Nader.... BANG!

(Nader) UGG!......A conventional round.....uhhhh... how crude......who would have though....... my evilness could..... be...stopped....by ....lead... [thunk]
                      It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                        Not effective against sith lords.
                        I guess this is one of the blasters used in Star Wars?
                        (I never got a good look at one)

Looks like someone put a home made flash hider on the newfangled gun
                        that Michel arrived with in the John Wayne movie "Big Jake"

Comment

• It's actually a quick conversion of a 9mm "Broomhandel" Mauser.

Bolt on scope, flash cone, and look.... a space blaster.

Several prop guns were just WWII-postwar firearms shortened and a few cosmetics added.

sigpic

Comment

• Storing and Caching ammo

In previous articles I touched on how much, and what kind of ammo a patriot should have on hand. But you might not want to keep all of that ammo in your hall closet, so what is the best method of storing it?

This continues along the same line of postings #1072 #1086 #1089

Again, this is just my opinion.

The first thing we must consider, when storing ammo, is safety. There are three things ammo needs to be kept from. First is Children (I mean those too young to learn about the dangers, whether that is 6 or 16 depends on the child). Children are naturally curious, and ammo can present a hazard to them. I won't go into details, since every child is different. Let it suffice to say that ammo should be kept out of reach of Children.

Moisture Is probably the number one killer of ammo reliability. It doesn't have to be kept under desert like conditions, but keeping the moisture as low as practical is important. In addition to causing the brass to change color, it can, eventually, get inside to contaminate the powder charge.

One important note, never use an ammonia based cleaner to clean brass. That is also a no-no. And don't use one of those mechanical tumblers or shakers to clean it either. While you should shake any ammo you have stored for a long period of time (especially in damp climates), this means shake it by hand. Mechanical shakers or tumblers are not gentle, and too much can damage the powder granules inside the cartridge.

Heat is another thing to avoid. Extended exposure to temperatures over 100 (Fahrenheit) will shorten the "shelf life" of ammo, and exposure to temperatures above 130 (as in attics and inside cars in the south) will shorten its life pretty dramatically (I will discuss shelf life at the end of this article.)

I have seen quite a few "preppers" vacuum sealing their ammo, to save space and improve shelf life. I don't think that is a good idea. There is air inside the cartridges, and it is supposed to be there. If you get too aggressive with the vacuum sealer, you will pull some of that air out of the cartridges. When the ammo is unsealed for use, the air that is present in the environment (including moisture) will enter the cartridge Military ammo cases designed to be kept for years are pressurized, not vacuum sealed.

As long as we are mentioning the military, they use ammo boxes that are ideal for storing ammo. Why do they use those "ammo cans" ? They use them because they don't cost a lot and they work. I use the simple method of leaving the lid open overnight in my garage on a day when the temperature is below freezing point outside (but my garage, which is not well sealed stays a few degrees warmer, so the garage is cool and dry) and then sealing the can in the early morning. Of course, if you live in a dry climate, all of that is unnecessary, but I don't live very far from Louisiana.

Wile talking about safety, we need to address the issue of fire safety. Someone once remarked (and it went viral) that the only time you have too much ammo is 'when you are drowning or on fire.' Ammo can pose a hazard in a fire, although not to the extent most people think. This has been covered in other places, but I will say that if you store reasonable quatities (or more), it should be stored in metal containers. (Avoid storing ammo in "fire safes", they are not usually designed for this job.)

Security. Ammo costs money. And it is a target of both thieves and renegade government agents. But it isn't as valuable (normally) or as subject to theft (normally) as the guns themselves. There are three things you can do to keep your ammo secure. Keep it out of sight, keep it under lock and key, and distribute it to more than one location.

These things can be done simply by storing the ammo in a locked file cabinet, or keeping half of your ammo at a friends house. At the other end of the spectrum are guys who have a cache of ammo buried, more than 10 miles from their home, six feet underground, in a hermetically sealed container.

And finally, we come to the bonus question.
                            If we are going to store ammo, the question is going to arise:
                            What is the shelf life of ammo?
                            Short answer: longer than you might think.

In your closet (in an air-conditioned house) more than 30 years in the original cardboard box..
                            In your garage, attic, or shed: more than 10 years (unless you are in a really hostile climate).
                            In an ammo box, properly sealed, in a climate controlled warehouse: no one really knows, but over 50 years.
                            (Properly packed, sealed, and protected, when buried, it will last well over 50 years, also, but such caches are a science, and not a good idea for most people.)

But if anyone has any questions at all, about ammunition.
                            I will be glad to hear them.

(Other than that, I have only one more post, along this particular line of thought,
                            to post - dealing with future shortages)

Comment

• Rationing ammo in times of shortage

This is the last item I planned in this series (see posts #1072 #1086 #1089 #1093 in this thread)

Over the past 100 years, there have been numerous shortages of ammo, most lasting only a few months, and most being just a time of sparse supply, but other times there have been periods where it was difficult to get ammo for years. And in the future, that may happen again.

In my first article, I outlined how much ammo I think each patriot should have on hand, but no matter how much you have on hand, the day may come when you will not be able to acquire any more of it. Then your stockpile will begin to dwindle.

I thought I would share my planned strategy, for using and conserving ammo, in times of shortage or crises.

First, my normal practice routine is to practice "live fire" about once a quarter and (while I don't live up to my own standards) I try to practice dry fire every month.

If you don't know what dry fire practice is, it is when you take all of the ammo out of your firearm, and some say to take it out of the entire room, and practice at home just like you were on a firing range.

There are inherant dangers in this. For some reason, after a dry fire practice, and after the firearm is reloaded, many people report an urge to "pull the trigger one more time" before putting it away. I don't know why that is, but it is best to be aware of it before-hand.

My plan for when the next shortage hits is to continue on as normal, until my stockpile goes below certain levels. Note that these levels apply to my defense ammo and my practice ammo, but not to my "break glass in case of emergency" ammo, which will remain behind that "glass" until there is some emergency.

Once my stock of defense ammo drops to my minimum level, I will not be expending any more defense ammo, at all. As for my practice ammo, when it reaches my minimum level, I will still expend it, but at reduced rate.

How reduced? At a rate that will assure I have a three year supply for the foreseeable future. As an example, I fire 100 rounds of practice ammo every quarter, so that means my minimum is 1200 rounds of practice ammo. When I reach this, I may reduce the amount I practice with to 80 rounds per quarter or 100 rounds every 4th month. Either way, that gives me a minimum of about 1000 rounds. When I reach that, I reduce to 70 rounds every 4th month. That gives me a minimum of 630 rounds. And when I reach that, I reduce even further.

I also plan to increase my dry fire practice in those days, to help compensate. Also I plan to augment my training with a pellet rifle or pellet pistol. These are useful additions to your weapons inventory anyway, but they could become invaluable if ammo for your primary weapon is not available.

But if anyone has any questions at all, about ammunition,
                              I will be glad to try to answer them.

Comment

• Red Dot Scope/sight

I just purchased a DMPS Oracle rifle. It came with no sights so I need to purchase a scope. I have little knowledge of scopes (this is my first ar) and was wondering if some of you with more knowledge than I could help. I am on a pretty tight budget so I need something that is good and inexpensive. Any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X