LED Light Bulbs...your thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    Thanks. I'll look for them. They must work with the existing ballast???...
    I just bought some of these for our church: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work wonderfully with the existing ballast. They also supposedly work if you rewire the ballast out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonsu View Post
      I just bought some of these for our church: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work wonderfully with the existing ballast. They also supposedly work if you rewire the ballast out.
      As soon as I run out of spare T8s I'm gonna get some. Thanks.
      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by dleader View Post
        I've seen LED bulbs that can go into T8 fixtures. They look cool and seem to be a little brighter.
        This thread has turned into a blessing for me. I'd been pondering the idea of removing my T8 fixtures and replacing them with something else so I could install LED bulbs... I had no idea until this thread got bumped and dleader's post that they were making LED's that fit in place of T8 tubes...

Fortunately my stock of spare T8's is low. After looking at what Amazon was offering I went to Home Depot and Lowes to see what they had. At first I didn't see any LED T8 equivalents but as I continued to stare at the boxes in the T8 bulb section I began to see "LED" on the boxes and it soon became apparent that that is mostly what they had.

Both Home Depot and Lowes had offerings that were less costly than Amazon. I chose some 17 Watt daylight Phillips tubes in a 10 pack to try out. I had two bulbs that were burnt out in the kitchen so I figured I'd do a test run of the LED tubes in my kitchen. When I pulled off the two covers in the kitchen I was surprised to discover that 5 of my 8 bulbs were burnt out .

I replaced all 8 with the LED bulbs which I can already say I like very much. I don't remember how much I was paying for the fluorescent T8 bulbs. I was buying them by the box of 30 and have almost gone through my 2nd box after 16 years of living in this house. I got the LEDs for about $5 a tube.

I'll have to do some math to see how quickly the LED bulbs pay for themselves. It might be cost effective to change out the other 40 T8 fluorescent tubes that I have. I also appreciate the slightly brighter light I'm getting from the LEDs.

I have an unusually large amount of ceiling mounted lighting in my house. My builder didn't want to do that for me but I insisted on ceiling lighting in every room. the Great room has two brass chandeliers that each have 7 bulbs and that room has 4 more bulbs under a fan. Each bedroom has a chandelier with 3 bulbs minimum. Downstairs and in the garage and kitchen I have the T8 fixtures. I ended up with over 70 bulbs in the home and 48 T8 tubes. That doesn't include the outside lighting. I've been switching some of the bulbs to LED but I still have a good sized box of replacement fluorescent bulbs that'll keep me in fluorescent lighting for another 10 years or so since they last a very long time...
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Glad my suggestion could help TT.
          Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
          Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
          Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

Working...
          X