Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

LED Light Bulbs...your thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Light Bulbs...your thoughts?

Have any of you tried the newer LED light bulbs? I bought a couple that were suppose to be an equivalent to a 30 or 40 watt bulb and will say that we are not quite there yet. The light coming from the LED is bright but won't project the light throughout the room like a regular incandecent bulb. Looking at these bulbs they would make excellent night light, foyer lighting, or hallway lighting bulbs, and the best part to them are the fact mine only uses a whopping 2 watts! Impressive. And there is no mercury to leak out if one was to break.

I saw at my local box store that Sylvania made a 60 watt replacement LED bulb but man was it big...sorta like a minature flood light and VERY PRICEY.

I'm telling you guys....in the next 5-10 years this is the lighting future.

I looked into them too. Way too expensive for the larger 'wattage equivalent' bulbs. CFL are currently the best compromise between quality and efficiency for 'normal' use.

LEDs are better for full-time low wattage lighting (night lights). I got some to help light areas my mother needs to navigate at night (route between her bedroom and the bathroom)
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Comment

Originally posted by Hootmon View Post
      I looked into them too. Way too expensive for the larger 'wattage equivalent' bulbs. CFL are currently the best compromise between quality and efficiency for 'normal' use.

LEDs are better for full-time low wattage lighting (night lights). I got some to help light areas my mother needs to navigate at night (route between her bedroom and the bathroom)
      Your right about that Hoot. I heard somewhere that the government will ban all incandecent bulbs by 2014 I believe.

Seems like when I go to update my incandecent bulbs with CFL's and compare my electric bill I have an "adjusted fuel price increase"... So how much am I "REALLY" saving?

Comment

I am stock piling incandents. I hate the new ones.

Comment

I haven't seen the new LED lights yet. I wonder if they will work with dimmer switches?

I replaced 1 blown bulb in the sactuary at church with a cfl bulb and thought nothing of it. During Sunday service they dimmed all the lights down and that's when I found out that the cfl's don't dim. There was one blue-ish bright glowing bulb over one seat.
          1 CORINTHIANS 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

ROMANS 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
          For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Comment

You can get dimmable CFL bulbs.
            The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
            Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
            (Psa 19:1b-2)

Comment

5 years future here, prices have come down a bit and they are nice. Have three myself now.
              Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
              Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
              Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

In 2008 I moved into my current place and rebuilt the kitchen from the ground up and replaced all light sources with LED's and now almost 8 years later I have done every lamp and light in the house....

If I have every light on in my place now, the current used just adds up to a wee tad over 100W, the equivalent to just one of the old table lamps being on. So for economy they can't be beaten, and now today they have dimmables too and the light is much better out of them and of course no heat, so no worries about leaving bulbs on when your away at night or for long periods.

The light bulb is dead, long live the LED!

Comment

When I moved into my current home in 2002 I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs that the builder had installed with various types of cfl. Fast forward to a year ago or so... for a short time Home Depot had a special price for some LEDs. I got some and installed them where I wanted instant bright light (CFLs often have a warm-up period until they reach full light).

I have a bag full of those original incandescents... didn't want to just toss them out, but I guess that's what I ought to do.
                  Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Now you can find LED at the Dollar store
                    The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

Comment

The LED lights are really starting to come into their own and wider and wider applications are being introduced almost daily.

Their use in low voltage landscape lighting is revolutionizing the industry.

Bulbs that used to cost $84 dollars at wholesale 8 years ago now cost $4.98.

Standard 120 volt household bulbs can be bought for about a dollar a piece (sometimes less) in nearly every location bulbs are sold.
                      sigpic
                      Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve53 View Post
                        The LED lights are really starting to come into their own and wider and wider applications are being introduced almost daily.

Their use in low voltage landscape lighting is revolutionizing the industry.

Bulbs that used to cost $84 dollars at wholesale 8 years ago now cost $4.98.

Standard 120 volt household bulbs can be bought for about a dollar a piece (sometimes less) in nearly every location bulbs are sold.
                        I love LED because I don't feel bad to have every light in the house on now.
                        The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy S. View Post
                          I love LED because I don't feel bad to have every light in the house on now.
                          I like them too. I have a bunch in the house but I also have about 60 fluorescent bulbs that will take a long time before they die and need replacing (and I've got a healthy stock of replacements). I also have six 4 bulb T8 fixtures in the house and another six in the garage. Those have become my most expensive lighting. I should consider replacing those with some kind of LED lighting at some point...

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                            I like them too. I have a bunch in the house but I also have about 60 fluorescent bulbs that will take a long time before they die and need replacing (and I've got a healthy stock of replacements). I also have six 4 bulb T8 fixtures in the house and another six in the garage. Those have become my most expensive lighting. I should consider replacing those with some kind of LED lighting at some point...
                            I've seen LED bulbs that can go into T8 fixtures. They look cool and seem to be a little brighter.
                            Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
                            Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
                            Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

Originally posted by dleader View Post
                              I've seen LED bulbs that can go into T8 fixtures. They look cool and seem to be a little brighter.
                              Thanks. I'll look for them. They must work with the existing ballast???...

3 trees

Comment

Working...
                              X