No announcement yet.

What do you do for a living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broke college student. future computer programmer.

Comment

Self employed painter

John

Comment

Medical Assistant and Network Engineer.

Jamie

Comment

Self employed Pest Control owner in the sunshine state.

Comment

I'm a network administrator for a hospital in southern Missouri, as well as an 'independent contractor'. Basically means I fix computers on the side.

Comment

I am a high school English teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by cryo View Post
                I am a high school English teacher.
                What have you assigned for your students to read this year?

Comment

Compensation and Benefits Manager in an HR dept.

Comment

LAN Administrator (Computer Geek) for a Hospital in Baltimore Maryland.

Comment

Originally posted by Old 33 View Post
                      What have you assigned for your students to read this year?
                      Wow, they read so many different works, as I teach three classes this year. In American Lit., we work chronologically from the Puritans to the modern age. Some major works they read were The Crucible, A Raisin in the Sun, and Their Eyes Were Watching God. My sophomores read A Lesson Before Dying, Our Town, The Catcher in the Rye, and Julius Caesar. My freshman honors kids studied ancient mythology, The Oddysey, Oedipus Rex, Antigone, The Lord of the Flies, and Julius Caesar, if I am remembering all the major works. We also read many short stories, poems, etc.

Before anyone flames me for teaching Catcher (or any other titles), and wonders how I can do that as a Christian, I must disclaim that I don't believe in censorship of literature, art, etc., and the book is part of the curriculum here, and despite it's content, there are important themes and issues that are important to high schoolers, and the content in the book is nothing they haven't seen on TV or experienced themselves over and over by the time they read the book. I have had a couple students over the years whose parents pulled them out of class during that unit, which I had no problem with, as it is their right, and they worked independently on an alternative text. I am very liberal in some areas while I'm conservative in others.

Comment

Originally posted by cryo View Post
                        Before anyone flames me for teaching Catcher
                        You know, here's my experience with Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it until college, but by that point it had been built up and built up as the mythic, epic book...and this "dangerous" book that was so controversial, etc.

And I was really disappointed by the book. It seemed so tame compared to what I had expected.

Comment

Computer Support Tech for a hospital in Idaho.. another computer geek

Comment

Originally posted by Old 33 View Post
                            You know, here's my experience with Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it until college, but by that point it had been built up and built up as the mythic, epic book...and this "dangerous" book that was so controversial, etc.

And I was really disappointed by the book. It seemed so tame compared to what I had expected.

Exactly! It's pretty tame for high schoolers today. It was hugely controversial when it was published in the '50s because society was so different, but I think the kids today don't think it's that big a deal at all. I have only had two parents in nine years ask to not have their child read it.

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread. It's interesting reading what you folks do to put bread on the table.

Comment

Self employed: I own an advertising company, and I am currently starting up a correspondence school for youth 9 -18 to teach them entrepreneurship.

Comment

Working...
                                X