Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a date!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
    Oh. Thanks for pointing that out. Yet, let me look into that further. I do know that the Lord hates divorce, and even if there are "Biblical grounds" for divorce, His Word directs us in other ways to stay married if possible (like to forgive the offenses of your spouse, ect.).

    My question is this: If you feel there are no grounds for divorce in Scripture, then what are these "Biblical grounds" for divorce that are commonly known? To me, the Scriptures make it clear that adultery is acceptable grounds for divorce if the offended spouse chooses to do so (while still forgiving them).
    The rest of the story...
    1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
    1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

    This is speaking to a Christian wife.

    1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the (believing) wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the (believing) husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
    1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

    I don't think this needs further explanation.

    Remember what Jesus said! He allowed Moses to give a writ of divorce because of the hardness of your hearts. He didn't say I gave a writ of divorce.

    Comment


    • #47
      ^Thanks for those verses. I realize the Lord hates divorce -- at all costs. And, I was aware of the "let the unbeliever go" verse. And, by those verses you can see that if a spouse commits adultery, it is God's desire for the spouse to forgive & keep their spouse.

      But, then again: Do they absolutely have to keep their spouse if adultery has happened? What if a spouse keeps committing adultery over & over, and then expects their spouse to always forgive them, support them, and stay married to them? Can you imagine having a spouse with that kind of behavior? It is one thing to forgive them 7X70, but to have to stay married in that kind of situation....

      And, what IF a Christian husband just gets up one day and decides to leave his Christian wife, WHAT is the wife supposed to do? That is my question. She is allowed to remarry, right?
      Last edited by RefinedbyFire; May 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
        ^Of course it is not the unpardonable sin. Like any sin, it needs to be repented of, and not done again.

        I'm still believing in "Biblical grounds" for divorce, unless somebody proves me different. Am I correct? The reason being, if you are a faithful spouse, and all of a sudden your mate decides they want a divorce, then surely you can't just be "stuck" the rest of your life without a mate, afraid to sin against God.

        Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. My wife commits adultery and sins. If I divorce her, I'm free to go and remarry (as long as I don't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds). Since I left her, she is also free to go remarry. If I was willing to stay married to her (after her affair), and she still divorced me, then she sins. And, she sins again by remarrying anybody.

        Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. So is my wife. One day, I decide I'm tired of her, and want a divorce. I sin by divorcing her, and will sin again if I ever remarry. However, my ex wife is free to go remarry without sinning (as long as she doesn't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds).

        Is that right?
        Again you are correct

        A Christian is free to remarry after the unsaved one departs but only in the faith.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
          ^Thanks for those verses. I realize the Lord hates divorce -- at all costs. And, I was aware of the "let the unbeliever go" verse. And, by those verses you can see that if a spouse commits adultery, it is God's desire for the spouse to forgive & keep their spouse.

          But, then again: Do they absolutely have to keep their spouse if adultery has happened? What if a spouse keeps committing adultery over & over, and then expects their spouse to always forgive them, support them, and stay married to them? Can you imagine having a spouse with that kind of behavior? It is one thing to forgive them 7X70, but to have to stay married in that kind of situation....

          And, what IF a Christian husband just gets up one day and decides to leave his Christian wife, WHAT is the wife supposed to do? That is my question. She is allowed to remarry, right?
          In those Scriptures you have your answer. If a spouse continues to live in sin it is very unlikely that they are saved. The provision for the one who is being sinned against continually is to depart and stay unmarried.

          Yes, I believe that if a Christian is abandoned, just like a woman who is married to a service man who is missing in action for many years at some point can determine that they are dead and remarry. This is my opinion.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
            ^Of course it is not the unpardonable sin. Like any sin, it needs to be repented of, and not done again.

            I'm still believing in "Biblical grounds" for divorce, unless somebody proves me different. Am I correct? The reason being, if you are a faithful spouse, and all of a sudden your mate decides they want a divorce, then surely you can't just be "stuck" the rest of your life without a mate, afraid to sin against God.

            Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. My wife commits adultery and sins. If I divorce her, I'm free to go and remarry (as long as I don't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds). Since I left her, she is also free to go remarry. If I was willing to stay married to her (after her affair), and she still divorced me, then she sins. And, she sins again by remarrying anybody.

            Scenerio: I'm married & faithful. So is my wife. One day, I decide I'm tired of her, and want a divorce. I sin by divorcing her, and will sin again if I ever remarry. However, my ex wife is free to go remarry without sinning (as long as she doesn't marry somebody who previously divorced with unBiblical grounds).

            Is that right?
            I hear you and you have the right motives.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
              ^Thanks for those verses. I realize the Lord hates divorce -- at all costs. And, I was aware of the "let the unbeliever go" verse. And, by those verses you can see that if a spouse commits adultery, it is God's desire for the spouse to forgive & keep their spouse.

              But, then again: Do they absolutely have to keep their spouse if adultery has happened? What if a spouse keeps committing adultery over & over, and then expects their spouse to always forgive them, support them, and stay married to them? Can you imagine having a spouse with that kind of behavior? It is one thing to forgive them 7X70, but to have to stay married in that kind of situation....

              And, what IF a Christian husband just gets up one day and decides to leave his Christian wife, WHAT is the wife supposed to do? That is my question. She is allowed to remarry, right?

              According to Scripture you should remain married for the sake of the unbeliever that they may see your good works and be saved. The only one Scripture gives the option of divorce to is the unbeliever. Once the unbeliever has determined to divorce the saved partner can remarry in the Faith.

              Comment


              • #52
                ^Thanks, Christy. I just want to make sure I have it all Scripturally correct, though. I can tell MajorGrace2 has studied it more in-depth.

                MajorGrace2: So, what I see from those 1 Corinthians 7 verses you posted, and from your own words, is that if the unbeliever departs, the saved person is free to remarry a Christian (as long as that Christian doesn't have an unBiblical divorce in their past).

                Is that correct?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by RefinedbyFire View Post
                  ^Thanks, Christy. I just want to make sure I have it all Scripturally correct, though. I can tell MajorGrace2 has studied it more in-depth.

                  MajorGrace2: So, what I see from those 1 Corinthians 7 verses you posted, and from your own words, is that if the unbeliever departs, the saved person is free to remarry a Christian (as long as that Christian doesn't have an unBiblical divorce in their past).

                  Is that correct?
                  Correct. Remember that those who have been unsaved and now have trusted Christ as Savior are new in Christ Jesus and have begun a new life. If these are truly saved, which we must be careful to determine, then they are eligible as Christians in Christ Jesus to marry again.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Why does this have to be a debate? The guy was happy he got a date.

                    Good grief people.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Joel View Post
                      Why does this have to be a debate? The guy was happy he got a date.

                      Good grief people.
                      These are questions that others would like to have answers to or just be better informed about. This is not an on going debate.

                      Sometimes a discussion will bring questions to mind that others would like to have answered.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Nope. It looks like a debate.

                        Besides, these are very personal questions. Lets just be happy for the guy he got a date and stop prying.

                        If he had concerns, he would raise them in a seperate thread in a forum oriented towards that concern.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I'm inclined to agree. Feel free to open a new thread on the topic if you would like.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X