Concealed Carry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XD Joe View Post
    As you guys might be able to guess, I really like the Springfield XD platform. I have a 9mm and .45 tactical. I shoot both of them in IDPA. I have carried both on differring occasions, but my preferred carry, most of the time is a Kimber Ultra Carry.

living4JC,
    Byrd gave you an excellent evaluation of the CZ line, however, CZ does not make anything in a .38 super. I believe what you have is a .380 auto.

A little off topic, but I have been a long time lurker. I have prayed for some of the requests mentioned in that part of the forum. Glad to have joined!

Welcome Joe!

I like relaying this advice I received from an old Firearms Instructor I know when discussing this topic with people.

I took the Texas Police Firearms Instructor - Instructor course earlier this year. Our Instructor was an old Cop who was a veteran when dinosaurs ruled the earth. He was on the original Dallas SWAT team and was a commander when the Glock people came to Dallas to pitch the Glock for Police use.

If anyone comes to his Firing line with anything other than a Glock, he will rag on them (humorously and quite often) to the point that everyone is laughing their backsides off.

His favorite saying: "You need to take that piece of ...(insert derogatory word he used to describe any pistol other than a Glock) and roll up a $20 bill and shove it down the barrel, then throw it over the berm (backstop) so that when someone finds it, they will have something worth $20!"

I know he doesn't really mean all that.. but then again, he might!

I've never fired a Springfield pistol, although I plan on getting an M1-A rifle next year. That's what I want to carry as a Patrol rifle. My PD won't let me carry my AK, and I am not a huge fan of the M16.

Peace - Patrick ><>
    "The Bible is not a box of chocolates where scripture is treated like candy, where you pick the ones you like, and ignore the ones you don't like. The Bible has to be taken in "CONTEXT", a word which I take to mean: "With the words above and below, with the meat of the subject, and with a heavy dose of wisdom." That's my interpretation of the word "CONTEXT". ~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
      I am proud to say, that my DH and I both passed our CHL classes yesterday. There were three of us in the class, and I was the only girl. I think I got some special attention for it too. I scored a 238 out of 250. Not as good as I would have liked but still expert. My husband got 248 out of 250. (he makes me sick)

All we have to do is mail out our paper work and wait for our licenses.
      Sounds alot like my class too, except I scored higher than my DH. Your in Texas right? Mind if I ask where you took your class?

Comment

Originally posted by TravisandJill View Post
        Sounds alot like my class too, except I scored higher than my DH. Your in Texas right? Mind if I ask where you took your class?
        Yes, we are in Texas. We took our class from a guy in Arlington who is an exclusive dealer for Kimber. He also teaches the CHL classes. He was great. He's an ex marine with a lot of patriotism.

Comment

I am proud to say, that my DH and I both passed our CHL classes yesterday. There were three of us in the class, and I was the only girl. I think I got some special attention for it too. I scored a 238 out of 250. Not as good as I would have liked but still expert. My husband got 248 out of 250. (he makes me sick)

Comment

Originally posted by StarVoyager View Post
            Forgot the 9mm - .40 S&W is a much better round, and with hi-cap mags, you can carry 15 in the mag, and one in the pipe. I carry the Glock Md. 22 in .40 S&W - and I love it.

If you are going to carry a .22, I suggest CCI Stingers or another hyper-velocity, hollow-point round. I have a little North American 5 shot .22 LR revolver I carry in my pocket sometimes... the Stingers in it travel 1640 fps... they are some of the fastest and best .22 rounds out there.

I fish at Surfside and San Luis Pass - is that close to where you go?

Patrick><>
            Thanks for the advice on the .22 round, Stingers...ill look for them.
            I would love to get a Glock, maybe when income tax comes in.

We just got back from Bolivar, surf fishing. Big waves and wind, muddy..one hardhead. Not even a big bite...Had big live mullet for bait the whole time fishing in the 2nd cut. Only seen 2 bull reds caught in the 2 days I was fishing.
            I heard they close San Luis PAss off to vehicle traffic?

Comment

Quote: "I like relaying this advice I received from an old Firearms Instructor I know when discussing this topic with people.

I took the Texas Police Firearms Instructor - Instructor course earlier this year. Our Instructor was an old Cop who was a veteran when dinosaurs ruled the earth. He was on the original Dallas SWAT team and was a commander when the Glock people came to Dallas to pitch the Glock for Police use.

If anyone comes to his Firing line with anything other than a Glock, he will rag on them (humorously and quite often) to the point that everyone is laughing their backsides off.

His favorite saying: "You need to take that piece of ...(insert derogatory word he used to describe any pistol other than a Glock) and roll up a $20 bill and shove it down the barrel, then throw it over the berm (backstop) so that when someone finds it, they will have something worth $20!"

A couple of yrs ago, I took a tactical pistol class from James Yeager at Tactical Response. He also preached glocks. He asked at the start of the class, who did not have a glock, I was the only one. After he closely inspected my XD9, he grudgingly said that I ought to do fairly well with it. We fired 1,000 rds in 2 days(no cleaning until the course was over), no problem. I have fired 4,000-4,500 rds thru it, and no problem.

I dont have a problem with glocks, they just dont fit my hand.

Comment

I've had three Glocks. Model 22, 23 and 33. That would be .40, .40 and .357. I have always found them to be very reliable, but to me they just look plain and ugly. I realize that is not a good criteria for selecting a firearm. However, I like a little style with my firearms. Or at least not the same gun that everybody else is carrying. This is probably why I still like wheelguns. I also think 1911's, Hi-Powers and the Walther PP series look real good. Plus, I know all of the above guns have proven themselves to be reliable over many decades.
                Deo Vindice!

Comment

Welcome XDJoe! You will like this board. I had no idea when I posted the question on concealed carry that it would get such a response. There are more of us out there than one would think!

I am a lover of the 1911 platform, and swore that when Kansas finally got around to allowing us to carry that would be my weapon of choice...until I got my XD Compact in .45 Auto. It has become my primary carry gun, and the one I shoot the most because I carry it. I never thought I would be a fan of the plastic pistols, but the XD has made a believer out of me.

To all that have recently gotten your carry permits, you will notice that you will feel naked without it. My wife & I recently went on a marriage retreat, and I FORGOT my gun at home. It was the wierdest feeling to be without it. You will feel when you start carrying that everyone knows that you have a gun, but no one pays any attention. That does not mean that you should not pay attention though! To carry a weapon is an incredible responsibility, and one not to be taken lightly.

Practice safety at all times, be aware of the circumstances around you and pray that you never are in a situation where it will be needed. Become very familiar with your weapon, shoot it enough that you know it is reliable, and you know how it works.

Thank God we live in a country that still trusts it's citizens to be responsible for their own protection!
                  sigpic From Above Only And Not Beneath

Comment

[QUOTE=Byrd;221308]
                    Practice safety at all times, be aware of the circumstances around you and pray that you never are in a situation where it will be needed."

Everytime I strap on my gun, I thank God for the right to carry, but with the same breath, pray that I'll never have to use it!

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to use the quote function.

Comment

Good for you both. I'd say not bad for your first time. Keep practicing you'll whup hubby's butt.

Have you all taken any of those range classes we talked about?

Comment

It is interesting that many of you are required to take a qualification course to get your carry permits. In Indiana, the requirements are fairly simple. You must be at least 18 and not prohibited from owning a firearm; i.e. convicted felon. That is it. You apply at your local police agency, have them fingerprint you, then send the application, prints and your fee to the state police. The fee is $45 for a 4 year permit or $125 for a lifetime permit. It is only $100 for a lifetime permit if you already held a permit when the lifetime permit statute was added last year. When mine expires in 2009, I will only have to pay $100 for the lifetime permit. Our state Supreme Court ruled in 1989 or 1990 that the Indiana Constitution guarantees your right to have a carry permit as long as you can legally own a firearm.
                        Deo Vindice!

Comment

I also am a member of a couple of gun boards, and an interesting question was brought up. How many of you carry at church?

Comment

Originally posted by XD Joe View Post
                            I also am a member of a couple of gun boards, and an interesting question was brought up. How many of you carry at church?
                            Sometimes.
                            Deo Vindice!

Comment

For the longest time I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to carry in church. Then I took my CHL class and found out that I can. So, when my license finally arrives, I will carry in church. I wish more people would.

Comment

Another question for the thread....I have my MN Conceal class here in 11 days (woo-hoo), and have been thinking more about what I want to buy once I get my permit. I have been seriously looking at the Bersa .380, but wanted to know if anyone had anything to say about the Para Ultra-compact .45? I'd really like to have a compact, .45 to carry, that's reasonably priced. I can't afford anything extravegant, as I work full time, go to college (almost) full-time, 3 kids and a wife. So I don't have a lot of disposable income. Any suggestions? I like the look of the Para .45, but how much does that go for? Also, anyone ever carry the XD .45 ACP 4" compact? Any input is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X