Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concealed Carry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Chris72 View Post
    I do not have my CCW...yet.

    Here in Minnesota we can carry, but all a business has to do it put a sign on saying the do not allow guns on the premises and you are not allowed to bring it in. All that does is stop the good guys from having a gun in there. I need to find out what can happen if one is still brought in.
    http://www2.mnbar.org/benchandbar/20...y-business.htm
    The rules for Minnesota don't state a punishment for breaking the rules.

    Minnesota:
    Like employers, business owners may also restrict individuals from carrying guns on-site if the operator of the establishment makes a "reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment." To satisfy the "reasonable request" requirement, the private establishment must:


    1) have a conspicuous sign posted at every entrance to the establishment that states, "[name of the company] bans guns in these premises." The sign(s) must be in black Arial typeface at lease 11/2 inches in height against a bright contrasting background that is at least 187 square inches in area (which translates to an 11x17 sign). The sign(s) must be readily visible and within four feet laterally of each entrance with the bottom of each sign at a height of four to six feet above the floor;

    and

    2) personally inform the person of the posted request and demand his or her compliance.


    To me, it sounds like the business owner has to inform every customer personally for compliance.
    Last edited by johnbmcginnis; August 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM.

    Comment


    • #32
      I carry a Kahr PM9, because it is small and easy to stash inside my jeans.

      I have a Glock 17 chambered and ready to go by my bed.

      Comment


      • #33
        If the rapture doesn't happen anytime soon, I'm getting myself the most powerful handgun with laser sight I can buy. Peace & order situation is getting worse everywhere.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by zhan View Post
          I've thought about it here in Montana, the problem is having a CCW changes many violations that would be misdemeanors into felonies, so I've held off so far. Not that I do those violations, I just hate the idea of accidentally carrying the weapon in a no-go zone landing me in prison instead of simply getting a ticket. That and I'm not sure if a state felony removes your right to bear arms or not, but I'm pretty sure it does or will soon.
          Any felony removes your right (pretty stupid concept eh, removing a right?)
          to own a firearm.

          This is a pretty idiotic concept IMHO. "But you cant have criminals with weapons" some might moan. Well, if a man has completed his punishment given him to the court for the crime he commited, I believe it should be finished at that point. No secondary, lifelong "punishments" such as never being able to vote, own a weapon to defend himself, etc. He shouldn't be branded a criminal for life after serving a punishment that was deemed "just" by the state. To me, its like a violation of contract.

          "But a felon who is armed would be dangerous" some say. Well, if the said felon is so dangerous, that is he has not be rehabilitated, then why release him from prison at all?

          In the old west, the first thing they would hand a man when he was released from prison were his boots and his gun.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by BenBenson View Post
            Any felony removes your right (pretty stupid concept eh, removing a right?)
            to own a firearm.

            This is a pretty idiotic concept IMHO. "But you cant have criminals with weapons" some might moan. Well, if a man has completed his punishment given him to the court for the crime he commited, I believe it should be finished at that point. No secondary, lifelong "punishments" such as never being able to vote, own a weapon to defend himself, etc. He shouldn't be branded a criminal for life after serving a punishment that was deemed "just" by the state. To me, its like a violation of contract.

            "But a felon who is armed would be dangerous" some say. Well, if the said felon is so dangerous, that is he has not be rehabilitated, then why release him from prison at all?

            In the old west, the first thing they would hand a man when he was released from prison were his boots and his gun.
            Rational thought has no place in gun debates. A little more emotion is needed here, please.

            Comment


            • #36
              benbenson,

              I don't know if ex-cons have their 2nd amendment rights revoked; but if it is, I think its a law that makes an awful lot of sense. Just like notifying the police department if a sex offender is moving into a city; just my very humble opinion.

              This principle was taught by Jesus himself:
              Mar 9:43-47 And if thy hand cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire. (44) <> (45) And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell. (46) <> (47) And if thine eye cause thee to stumble, cast it out: it is good for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell;

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by jeshurun View Post
                benbenson,

                I don't know if ex-cons have their 2nd amendment rights revoked; but if it is, I think its a law that makes an awful lot of sense. Just like notifying the police department if a sex offender is moving into a city; just my very humble opinion.
                erm in California it's felon, spousal abuse and domestic violence restraining order. The way the courts are, if you spank your kids they will probably take your self defense and hunting weapons since they have been pushing real hard to put those ebil peeps that spank children into prison.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by TravisandJill View Post
                  Well I'm not a male but I do have my conceil carry permit for Texas. I havent had to use it, nor do I carry it all the time. The main purpose was to keep it in my car. I have a Bersa 380 semi auto. We also have a Smith and Wesson MP 15 and a .22 for target practice. Dh and I are looking to add a Sig 40 cal. We like guns
                  Well, it may make no difference to you, but I am a police officer in Texas and the new non-applicability laws for UCW (Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon) just changed 9-1-07. Now, as long as you meet the 'traveling exception' in your car, on your way to your car, or on your premises; you can carry a handgun, illegal knife, or a club. It's gotta be concealed and not out in plain view, you're not engaged in criminal activity (other than a Class C Misdemeanor regulating traffic), not otherwise prohibited from having the weapon, not a member of a criminal street gang, and in a private motor vehicle (or premise under your control). Those five criteria meet the 'traveling exception' (Penal Code 46.15).

                  Just thought you may like to know.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by jeshurun View Post
                    benbenson,

                    I don't know if ex-cons have their 2nd amendment rights revoked; but if it is, I think its a law that makes an awful lot of sense. Just like notifying the police department if a sex offender is moving into a city; just my very humble opinion.

                    This principle was taught by Jesus himself:
                    If you are a convicted felon, it is a violation of Federal Law to poccess any firearm, even simply to pick up a firearm to look at it.

                    Whether it makes sense or not is another question; I would limit it to people who commit violent crimes.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by dentndude2 View Post
                      Well, it may make no difference to you, but I am a police officer in Texas and the new non-applicability laws for UCW (Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon) just changed 9-1-07. Now, as long as you meet the 'traveling exception' in your car, on your way to your car, or on your premises; you can carry a handgun, illegal knife, or a club. It's gotta be concealed and not out in plain view, you're not engaged in criminal activity (other than a Class C Misdemeanor regulating traffic), not otherwise prohibited from having the weapon, not a member of a criminal street gang, and in a private motor vehicle (or premise under your control). Those five criteria meet the 'traveling exception' (Penal Code 46.15).

                      Just thought you may like to know.
                      Hi, Im a Texan and am trying to fully understand our new law.
                      Could you define "travel"..does it have to cross county lines for example..or could it be a short trip across town?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Anyone familiar with the brand 'CZ'? I'm thinking it's Czech, but I saw a .38 semi that was pretty nice, and decently priced, but don't know anything about the brand. Anyone?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          The CZ brand of handgun is a very high quality weapon made in Checaslvokia. (sp?) For many years they were not available in this country, but with the fall of the iron curtain they are plentiful. Their US office is in Kansas City, KS. I own two CZ 52's which were the Chec sidearm for 2-3 years in the 1950's and love them.

                          Several guys at the range I shoot at own CZ's and they have proved to be accurate and reliable.

                          The .38 that you saw is a .38 Super, which is an excellent cartridge. It was popular in the depression as it had the power to penetrate the real steel autos the gangsters drove. Today it is a popular competition round, as well as a viable self defense cartridge.

                          The only downside to the caliber is that it is not "Wal-Mart" available. Yoy may have to order ammo for it, or better yet, reload! I reload for mine and am very happy with it's performance.

                          If it is a good deal, I would jump on it.
                          Last edited by Byrd; September 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
                          sigpic From Above Only And Not Beneath

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by KnightErrant View Post
                            If you are a convicted felon, it is a violation of Federal Law to poccess any firearm, even simply to pick up a firearm to look at it.

                            Whether it makes sense or not is another question; I would limit it to people who commit violent crimes.

                            I'm not entirely sure about this. My brother in law committed and was convicted of two non-violent felonies in Ohio. After serving his time his firearms were returned to him as was his hunting license and all of his registration papers which he was required to provide before going to prison. Two weeks later he purchased a new firearm passing his background check which clearly listed his convictions. If it is true that felons cannot posses firearms Ohio is definitely dropping the ball. Now I do know that he can never qualify for a CCW permit.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Usually a stainless Kimber Ultra Carry, waist holster (3x8 rnd mags). Sometimes a Glock 19 in a waist holster (2x15 rnd. mags). For *very* unobtrusive carry, a Kel Tec P32 in a pocket (last resort - 2xmags).

                              Always at least a .357 in the car for daily driving (legal in my area regardless of CCW status). Add a Mossberg 500 12 ga. for road trips (unloaded to comply with transport rules).

                              Lots and lots of practice to go along with all of the above. Look into IPSC or USPSA in your area for developing practical skills and keeping them honed.

                              I also always pack along a full magazine of trust in the Lord! I'm never looking for a fight, but feel a burden to pack most of the time, that's just how it is.

                              Paratus

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Felony

                                Originally posted by zhan View Post
                                I've thought about it here in Montana, the problem is having a CCW changes many violations that would be misdemeanors into felonies, so I've held off so far. Not that I do those violations, I just hate the idea of accidentally carrying the weapon in a no-go zone landing me in prison instead of simply getting a ticket. That and I'm not sure if a state felony removes your right to bear arms or not, but I'm pretty sure it does or will soon.
                                A felony conviction would remove your carry rights. The only difference could be in felony traffic offense.

                                Now for the first time in History thanks to BILL CLINTON you can lose your rights to carry for a misdemeanor. If it is considered "domestic violence".
                                Brady Gun bill. All that is required is a misdemeanor citation issued. If the police show up at your house and you are arguing with wife, ex wife aunt Martha or whoever. They are obligate by law to arrest both parties. There is your misdemeanor conviction right there, surrender your firearms.

                                This law had good intentions as wife beaters should not have weapons. But it needs to go back to the felony statute to allow the courts to decide who can and cannot carry and not the law enforcement officers.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X