Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rebecki View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm still pluggin along as well. My instructor gave me tab for Creedance's "Green River" (I LOVE the intro to that song) and a tab/picking sheet of "Silent Night." I've got the "Silent Night" down pretty good, but the rest is still coming slowly. My fingers are loosening up and I can actually get that F chord often. I'm realy focusing on chord/tab progressions.
    Awesome! Hearing about another beginner's progress too has really helped me out. It can get discouraging sometimes, esp. when you practice and can't notice a difference til about two weeks later.

I've noticed that I can "relax" more while strumming patterns, and modulate my volume on my (non-electric ) acoustic much better by doing so.

Oh, one Christmas song that I noticed at the recital that sounded surprisingly good on electric was Carol of the Bells. I'm thinking for next year There were two guitarists; a student and Jed.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

As you get comfortible with chords you find you can easily do 7ths and sus/add plus picking that note to bring out a chord.

Dont rush, you''ll find it happening before you know it.

There is a song - Faithful, that uses Adim and Ddim, really pretty

especially if you can do the trill at the end,

Adim chord
      6th open/moot
      5th open/moot
      4th 2
      3rd 1
      2nd 2 +3trill
      1st open

Ddim = barr 1,2,3 strings at 2nd fret others open moot 6th. Don be afraid to play and make up your own songs. It's fun.

I'm working on the tab for Classical Gas(oline) - This will take forever, maybe even longer.....
      It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
      sigpic

Comment

Well gang,

Hows the pratice going? Kliska? Rebecki?
        It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

sigpic

Comment

I played my accompanying part with me mum in church on Sunday on "What Child is This?." It went as expected. First time through just me and her went good, then when everyone joined in singing, I messed up near my barre chord and played the wrong chord (I got ahead of the piano by a chord) so I waited, skipping my next chord, then joined back in, finishing the last verse fine. Two things added to the difficulty level; I played without my sheet music/tabs and I sang along...so, all in all I did an ok job. People told me they enjoyed it, but I never know if someone is just being nice, or if they really mean it.

My instructor introduced me to finger picking, which takes some getting used to, especially if you aren't on a classical nylon stringed guitar. It definitely adds a new dimension, and he just gave me some easy patterns to try. We're taking a break this week for Christmas, and will start back in next week, right before New Years.

I've also started to learn a song with some fast single note picking (with a pick) in it, and am enjoying trying to learn to hit my various strings instead of just strumming everything...I know it is repetition and finger memory, but it can be fun and frustrating at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by Kliska View Post
            I played my accompanying part with me mum in church on Sunday on "What Child is This?." It went as expected. First time through just me and her went good, then when everyone joined in singing, I messed up near my barre chord and played the wrong chord (I got ahead of the piano by a chord) so I waited, skipping my next chord, then joined back in, finishing the last verse fine. Two things added to the difficulty level; I played without my sheet music/tabs and I sang along...so, all in all I did an ok job. People told me they enjoyed it, but I never know if someone is just being nice, or if they really mean it.

My instructor introduced me to finger picking, which takes some getting used to, especially if you aren't on a classical nylon stringed guitar. It definitely adds a new dimension, and he just gave me some easy patterns to try. We're taking a break this week for Christmas, and will start back in next week, right before New Years.

I've also started to learn a song with some fast single note picking (with a pick) in it, and am enjoying trying to learn to hit my various strings instead of just strumming everything...I know it is repetition and finger memory, but it can be fun and frustrating at the same time!
            I'm pretty much in the same spot as you are. I have finger picking for Silent Night, Joy to the World, The First Noel, and O Christmas Tree. My fingers seem to remember the tabs for this better than the chords, although I do struggle with hitting the right strings. I'm still really struggling with that barre F chord. Feel like I'll never get it and it's such an often used chord. My instructor gave me tab/chords for Creedence's "Fortunate Son" and there's that dumb barre F in there, so it throws the whole song off when I have to slow down and work on getting it to sound right. It usually sounds like a "plunk". I'm doing pretty good on the slides in the intro, and the hammer-on's in "Green River" but that F is the bane of my practice!

I'm not practicing as much this week as I'd like to. We have our daughter staying with us and I like to practice when I can hole up in the office, but she likes to interupt and such.
            Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.
            ~2 Timothy 2:15

God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Comment

Good Show Kliska. The mark of a professional is not that they do not make mistakes, they do, but they continue and recover quickly. Don't Stop!

What finger book are you using?

Rebecki - the F's will come my child, they will come. (I hated that chord too, but I hardly play it. Normally it's a Bm or F#m....)

15 min a day. No matter what, try to get those 15 min in, and make sure you have some Fs in the song. ( or at least an F#m)

You want a good chord workout? Try Paul Simon's Hobo Blues.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                What finger book are you using?
                I don't have one. Thus far, I've just learned everything from my instructor, including chords, strum patterns, tabs, etc... I know I'm going to want to get various books, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Today I went back to the very first strum pattern and chords I was taught and was laughing because I remembered how hard it had been for me to switch between G, C2, and D...and how I can hit them all now, so that was fun because I actually realized I'm getting better and faster even though I don't notice it day to day.

We just need to keep plugging away Rebecki, I still get a lot of "plunks," especially on faster chord switches, but as my instructor is so fond of saying, "just keep goin'."

I haven't done much work yet on my electric; that is what I'm going to hit harder starting next week. It is quite a different "feel" than my acoustic that I've grown quite attached to.

Comment

I started only doing note picking a year after I started playing. He started me on secular stuff, but I took an easy praise guitar book and started picking the songs out of it. I used to be good to the extent I went, but I moved and had to stop and got out of practice with it. "Here I Am to Worship", "Seek Ye First" and "As the Deer" were pretty easy for me to do.

Just playing chords, I rarely use songbooks unless I have to. Most of the time the arrangements of chords to play are more difficult than what you'd find online, I prefer the chords right under the lyrics so my eyes don't have to jump around a lot (which can mess me up), and I can't turn pages while playing. If I can't find the chords online I use songbooks and write just the chords and the lyrics out.

Rebecki: You have to build up strength to get the barre chords well. A good way to play it anyway is the open F. That got me going while I built up strength and it took me a year to get the F#m. Sometimes an F#m7 will work in it's place, and that for me is an easier one. So if I can hit that and it ends up sounding better than the F#m that's what I'll play instead.

I've always found it difficult to multitask. I can do more on guitar, if I'm not singing. And when you add piano into the mix or other guitarists, that makes it worse. I'm a lot better now with it than I used to be but still not good enough to do a lot of stuff. I actually have an opportunity to start voice lessons again next semester I hope to get some help w/multitasking but every guitar instructor I've tried has told me they couldn't help me with it, or told me not to sing along. Maybe since the voice instructor also plays piano he'll be more sympathetic.
                  Praise Warrior
                  Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Comment

Looky what I got for Christimas!! RP90

Now if I only could play better so this thing would rock!!!
                    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.

Comment

Cool! You'll have to let us know how you like it when you get to play around with it for awhile!

Comment

Well, folks...how are we all doing? I've been merciless on myself this week, trying to build up finger/arm strength in my left arm, so I can play "cleaner" longer (you know without any buzzing in my acoustic strings because my fingers are too tired to hold the strings down properly). Noticed my ear is getting better picking out strumming patterns when I listen to songs on the radio...now I hope I'll get better identifying chords by ear (at least now I can tell when something is too flat or sharp).

I've also practiced my electric more, and am finally getting a little more comfortable with it, after getting so attached to my acoustic. I'm messing around with bending, and vibrato, hammer-ons and pull-offs. I can only do the "classical" style vibrato so far, which is normally used on classical guitar (and things like violin and cello), but it sounds fairly interesting on the electric, and my hammer-ons and pull-offs are a bit weak...when I bend the strings to different notes/pitches I can't tell when I've hit the one I'm after...so, yeah, it's definitely goin', but it's goin' slow.

Just keepin' at it...

Comment

My lessons are going fine. I've been a bit lax over Christmas break. I go in today. My teacher said he was going to work on some Doobie Bros. tunes with me. That will be fun. I've been goofing off and playing Jungle Boogie. Maybe he'll give me some funk too work on if I ask nicely.

Comment

I have been very naughty. I haven't picked up my guitar in about a week! We were gone for a 4 day weekend with some friends, and I've just been lazy since we got back. I'll need to do double time tomorrow and Wednesday before my lesson Wednesday night.

Right now my goal is to get my fingers to remember where the frets and the strings are. If I can get that down I think things will go much smoother for me.

My instructor gave me tab for AC/DC's "Back in Black" last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecki View Post
                              I have been very naughty. I haven't picked up my guitar in about a week!

I would imagine you'd be fine...I bet you remember where to put your fingers, I'd just be worried about my callouses disappearing I took a vacation early on in my lessons, and I could actually play better when I got back (my husband says our brains use the downtime to process and store the info), but had to build up my fingers a bit again.

Lisa, sounds like fun. I've rapidly figured out that rhythm is so important...I'll never underestimate the talent of a rhythm guitarist, nor a bass player, nor a drummer! One of the things I'm working on is keeping the rhythm no matter how bad I mangle the chords, of course, after that, I play through the song slower and choppier so I can hit my chords.

Comment

I haven't played much guitar at all the past two months! Schoolwork had to come first (end of the semester fun), and then I came home and with my family for the holiday. I can get really loud and they don't like contemporary praise, so I can only really get good practice in when I'm by myself. I've been taking serious advantage of good opportunities to practice this week, though. Next week I start worship leading again so I've been learning new songs, reviewing old ones, etc. But I also have to put my music lyrics on transparencies and organize my music as well which I'm fast running out of time for

For Christmas I got a small amp to use with a clip-on pickup. I wasn't planning on going electric at all for awhile but I came to realize that when everyone else on the team is amplified, you might as well not be playing at all because you won't be heard. I'm just getting comfortable with it. I'm even less able to practice with the amp with people around, and it is more difficult to sound good with because all the mistakes and artifacts are amplified as well.

I wish I could get lessons in praise guitar, but there's nobody local that gives them who knows or even appreciates that style. I've just been going at it for 2 1/2 years now and people have already asked *me* for lessons.
                                Praise Warrior
                                Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Comment

Working...
                                X