Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is PIMA?
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.
    ~2 Timothy 2:15

God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Comment

• Basically it just denotes your Thumb (P), index(I), middle(M), and ring(A) finger of your strumming hand. It is a type of finger picking that only (usually) utilizes those fingers and leaves your pinkie out. I've not seen it notated like this, because my instructor doesn't tab it out with the PIMA label. You may see a tab with the initial over the note you should be picking; it just shows you which finger to use to pick each note.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

• I'm going to get an acoustic-electric soon, anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to move up from my purely acoustic beginner-level Yamaha.

How's everything going? Every now and again I'll do something on one of my guitars that I never dreamed I'd actually be able to do...hit a certain chord quick and clean, or hit the right tone on a bend, etc... and it definitely keeps me motivated, though I have sooooo much more to learn, and sooooo much more practicing to do, it can still feel overwhelming at times, though very much fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kliska View Post
          I'm going to get an acoustic-electric soon, anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to move up from my purely acoustic beginner-level Yamaha.

How's everything going? Every now and again I'll do something on one of my guitars that I never dreamed I'd actually be able to do...hit a certain chord quick and clean, or hit the right tone on a bend, etc... and it definitely keeps me motivated, though I have sooooo much more to learn, and sooooo much more practicing to do, it can still feel overwhelming at times, though very much fun.
          We used to have an acoustic-electric but we just gave it to our daughter. DH and I bought it years ago when he was thinking of learning the guitar. It was an "Art & Lutherie" that was very similar to this one. It had a BEAUTIFUL sound to it, but DH's fingers were too chubby and mine too short to reach around the neck. This guitar had an equalizer on the top side also.

I've been working on "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies. Sounds easy when you listen to it, but it's another story to learn it. I'm plugging along though. It suprises me when I do the hammer-ons and they actually sound like the song.
          Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed.

Comment

• Pretty guitar! I need to go to a big guitar store and just try a bunch of different ones...but that means driving about 2 hours to get there.

Yes, it often surprises me when everything lines up and I sound halfway decent on a song. I still pick things up quicker on the acoustic than I do on the electric, but the electric is coming along.

Comment

• Kliska,

Not quite shure what you are looking for but try a Seagull. I still am amazed by the action and the price is do-able.

If you want more electric than acoustic, I would look to a Gibson. Again you really need to hold and play the guitar as each body style effects fit and tone. I believe Kim Hill uses a Gibson.

I finally figured out (I think I did) that Paisley's "What a friend" is in DADGAD tuning. I am working on the picking.
              It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
              sigpic

Comment

• I hope things are going well for everyone. I tried to get a lot of practice in this past week since I had some extra time, however I've been sick so I couldn't really practice as well as I'd hoped. I've been practicing trying to figure out chords to songs, and learning how to play a few others.

One problem I'm having though, is I'm having difficulty playing really fast songs. I have like no strumming-arm stamina at all. Songs like Charlie Hall's "Marvelous Light" I'm lucky if I can make it through the whole song, let alone the rest of the songs in the set, especially if there are other fast ones. Any suggestions?
                Praise Warrior
                Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Comment

• I learned a little bit about PIMA at my lesson last week. I'm learning the E major scale and picking with my "I" and "M" fingers on the B and E strings.

I'm starting lessons with a new instructor on Friday. I hope that he is a better fit with me than my last one. Hubby starts bass lessons Friday with the same instructor.

Practice time is hard to fit in with me as well. Life has a way of interferring with pleasure.

Comment

• PW; I love "marvelous Light" but never tried playing it. I do have one or two songs that are "strum" heavy, and all I can recommend, from my beginner's POV, is keep playing at least every other day if possible until your arm starts to get tired, and very gradually play longer. I'm assuming it's like weight lifting; you never want your arm hurting at all, just fatigued. That might me something else...start lifting light weights? How much should we do for our art? LOL

I'm going Saturday to a Guitar Center to try out a bunch of acoustic-electrics, including seagulls, wish me "luck"...no, better yet, pray I find the right one for me. heh

Reb' let us know how the new instructor is when you have your lesson!

Comment

• Well, folks, I went and did it: here's a pic of "my" guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/exp.../567154jpg.jpg

It's a Takamine Dreadnought cutaway. I got a good deal on it, and free strings, and a cleaning kit too (which I will definitely need with its black finish). It took a lot of playing different guitars to finally settle on it. I've only got my one Marshall amp that is really for an electric, but with some advice on how to set it up with my acoustic-electric, it actually sounds really good. The Tak sounds just as good unplugged, so I'm very happy with it...now I just want my instructor to really test it out, I'll find out his opinion on Wed.

My song for Easter (What a Friend we have in Jesus) is shaping up, now I just need to practice with my mom on piano.

How's everyone else coming along?

Comment

• Just picking and grinning.

Kliska - Nice Tak!

Is your pickup a mic or an under the bridge wire?

How are the harmonics - easy to pick?
                        It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Wally View Post
                          Just picking and grinning.
                          That's the most fun, innit? Sometimes I just sit and strum nonsense, well, they are correct chords, but just me messing around...it relaxes me. LOL

Kliska - Nice Tak!
                          Thank ya...the black does show fingerprints, but I'll cope (I have to buff my wine fender all the time anyway, so I don't see much difference).

Is your pickup a mic or an under the bridge wire?
                          It's not a mic...I think it's under the bridge. One of the things I liked about the Tak was that all the Tak electronics can be changed out for different models easy...so if I want one of their awesome cooltube pre-amps put in one day, I can.

How are the harmonics - easy to pick?
                          That I can't tell you right now; I've not done anything "real" with harmonics...LOL I definitely got a guitar to grow into. But, I do know that my barres are much easier to hit; the action on this guitar is so much better than my Yamaha, and the neck is just a little bit skinnier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                            Well, folks, I went and did it: here's a pic of "my" guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/exp.../567154jpg.jpg
                            Nice! Our worship leader has a Takamine too.

I recently made a trip to the nearest Guitar Center too. Came away significantly poorer, but with a new bass, amp, and case.

Here's mine. I got the one in all black.

Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                            That's the most fun, innit? Sometimes I just sit and strum nonsense, well, they are correct chords, but just me messing around...it relaxes me. LOL
                            I'm thinkin of maybe one of these days puttin some nonsense together into a real song.
                            "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
                            For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Comment

• Originally posted by fracturedInfinity View Post
                              Nice! Our worship leader has a Takamine too.
                              Everyone I talked to said Taks sound good if you plan to play live, like at church.

I recently made a trip to the nearest Guitar Center too. Came away significantly poorer, but with a new bass, amp, and case.

Here's mine. I got the one in all black.
                              I likes! This is the first guitar center I've ever been to (I've only been to the smaller independent music stores before) and boy it was fun! I couldn't believe the number of guitars they had hanging up. I played a bunch of different types, and drooled over some amps too!

I found a cheaper price on my guitar online, and they matched it and then some, so I was happy on that...I think I wound up paying 200 and something less than their advertised price, so was pleased on that score.

I'm thinkin of maybe one of these days puttin some nonsense together into a real song.
                              Go for it!! I think that is really neat when someone comes up with a tune, no matter how simple, complex, long, or short it is! I don't think I know enough strum patterns, chords, and music theory to even give it a go yet, but maybe someday! I do have fun coming up with REALLY simple blues riffs in the pentatonic.

Comment

• Fractured - Cool Pevey. I know their amps are great. Now work some blues rythms and have a ball!

Kliska - has your instructor shown you harmonic tuning? I believe you tap the 7th right on a fret and the 5th fret on the next string up (3rd G to 2nd B is difficult and I forget which frets you use -8th 5th?)

anyway, listen for the harmonic to resonate. If you here a wave -wawa sound then adjust until it is one solid tone. Great for fine tuning.

I like doing the Westminster Chimes on my banjo - it really rings, and some songs sound so cool on a harmonic end note.

It's just something to play with, unless your Victor Wooten playing Amazing Grace in harmonics on the bass. (Flectones - Live Art)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X