Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting facts on Vet costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting facts on Vet costs

    In 2003, when Bush was president, I took a male cat to be fixed. It cost $40, pain meds were free.

    Today, I took a female cat to be fixed. For the exact same procedures, it cost $80, plus $13 for pain meds.

    Thank you, Mr President.

    [Since they also had a wellness clinic I had her done up on shots and an ear mite treatment, for an additional fee]

    " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

    Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

    Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

    Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


    I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

  • #2
    Isn't spaying a more complicated procedure than neutering?

    Comment


    • #3
      To neuter a male animal is a relatively simple process.
      To spay a female animal is much more complicated, hence
      the higher cost.
      Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

      Comment


      • #4
        yes, a spay costs more than a neuter, simply because of the more complicated procedure

        Comment


        • #5
          Vet costs.

          Things are cheap in your neck of the woods. I'm in central Alberta. In February, it cost $325.00 to get my Dane spayed & shots done. Even the cheap SPCA sponsored cat spaying/neutering program is expensive by comparison. You have to submit you tax returns to prove eligibility (which I find very intrusive) & the reduced rate is still $50.00.

          I know we live in what is probably the hottest economy in North America, but sheesh. (I love my dogs, I love my dogs ...).

          Lorna

          Comment


          • #6
            The clinic USED to have a flat rate for spay or neuter. They used to care if someone was low income.

            That same clinic basically told Ron to give the cat to the pound, to be put down, if he couldn't afford the $300+ they wanted to charge.

            We found another clinic, instead. They did an excellent job, I'll give them out, but let's just say I'll be eating a lot of lentils for a while. The "new" clinic had a $20 difference between spay and neuter, and EXCELLENT feral cat program (deworm, ears cleaned and notched, fixed, shots for $55).

            Sadly, Baby Girl could not pass for feral.

            " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

            Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

            Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

            Matthew 22:9 NIV
            'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


            I'm praying for you daily!
            I get my Bibles here

            Comment


            • #7
              Last time I had a cat spayed it cost me $140 and that was 4 years ago. This is in Australia. To me, your prices seem cheap.

              Yes, spaying is more expensive. I know it is more expensive for dogs than cats in Australia, and the bigger the dog, (depending on the vet) the higher the price.
              BelovedChild

              Comment


              • #8
                Ouch!

                Well, I have to say, she is worth every penny. She loves to curl up in Ron's neck and purr for hours.

                " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

                Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

                Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

                Matthew 22:9 NIV
                'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


                I'm praying for you daily!
                I get my Bibles here

                Comment


                • #9
                  It also costs more for the procedure, either one, if the dog or cat
                  is older, as opposed to having it done when they are still very young.
                  If you decide when you get a kitten or puppy that you are definitely
                  going to spay or neuter them, have it done early. But I do agree that
                  vet costs are really high. I very seldom visit a physician myself, but
                  my last doctor visit was only 80.00 for a check up and a chiropractic
                  session. It costs me 50.00 just to walk in the door at the vet for
                  a checkup, then add the cost of the vaccinations, etc. and it's easily
                  a hundred dollar bill for a well animal visit.I got a German Shepherd
                  puppy in August, and the guy I got him from told me a local Tractor
                  Supply store has the 5-way puppy vaccines. ( 7.00) So those I am giving
                  to the pup myself. They need a series of 5 of those,starting at 6-8
                  weeks and runs through 18 wks old. Can you imagine
                  the cost if I ran to the vet for just that and had the 50.00 office
                  charge each time? Have to see the vet for the rabies and lyme, though.
                  Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melech haolam --Blessed are you O Lord our God, King of the universe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pets are very expensive.That is why I would think twice before having another pet.You have to consider the vaccinations,food and the vet bills.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I pay $60 for a 10 lb bag of hypoallergenic food for my cats. The canned they eat is $2.10 per can. This is with the 10% discount I get as an employee of the University where the vet school is. The dog is on Joint Mobility food, which is cheaper at $90 for 32 lbs. The one cat has issues and her pills are not cheap, not to mention having to take her back for blood work all the time. The dog is on all kinds of stuff (holistic and pharmaceutical) for her joints to keep her moving and to keep her chronic ear problems from surfacing.

                      I spend more in month on food and medications for my pets than most people spend all year on their pets and I wouldn't take a dime of it back if it meant my animals had to suffer for even a second. My son heard me tell my husband how much the testing was for the cat and he brought me his piggy bank and said he wanted to give it to Sunshine so she wouldn't be sick anymore.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        I pay $60 for a 10 lb bag of hypoallergenic food for my cats. The canned they eat is $2.10 per can. This is with the 10% discount I get as an employee of the University where the vet school is. The dog is on Joint Mobility food, which is cheaper at $90 for 32 lbs. The one cat has issues and her pills are not cheap, not to mention having to take her back for blood work all the time. The dog is on all kinds of stuff (holistic and pharmaceutical) for her joints to keep her moving and to keep her chronic ear problems from surfacing.

                        I spend more in month on food and medications for my pets than most people spend all year on their pets and I wouldn't take a dime of it back if it meant my animals had to suffer for even a second. My son heard me tell my husband how much the testing was for the cat and he brought me his piggy bank and said he wanted to give it to Sunshine so she wouldn't be sick anymore.
                        How thoughtful of your son.What a sweetheart.My cat's last years were expensive.She had thyroid issues and had to have medication which was expensive and routine blood checks.That is why I told myself....NO MORE.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IMSAVED View Post
                          How thoughtful of your son.What a sweetheart.My cat's last years were expensive.She had thyroid issues and had to have medication which was expensive and routine blood checks.That is why I told myself....NO MORE.
                          He is quite the empathetic little man, he has a very sweet and caring nature about him, especially when it comes to animals. We call him our little Diego (as in Go, Diego, Go). For those without children, Diego is a cartoon character who rescues animals in trouble.

                          When we told our son that it would be ok and Mommy and Daddy were going to pay as much as it takes to get her better, he lightened up a bit. He did insist that we take some of his money to buy her a new mousie to keep her company as she healed. Sunshine is only four, I just couldn't see not spending the money to get a proper diagnosis to give her a long, happy life. She was the runt of the litter and had problems at weaning and other digestive issues when she was a baby, so this wasn't a total surprise.

                          I grew up with lots of animals, my sister was always bringing something home. I can't imagine not having *something* furry in the house. My sister passed her "rescue" instinct on to me and I can't turn away an animal that needs help. Before the baby, we fostered cats and dogs. Now I just give money and time instead of fostering...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            He is quite the empathetic little man, he has a very sweet and caring nature about him, especially when it comes to animals. We call him our little Diego (as in Go, Diego, Go). For those without children, Diego is a cartoon character who rescues animals in trouble.

                            When we told our son that it would be ok and Mommy and Daddy were going to pay as much as it takes to get her better, he lightened up a bit. He did insist that we take some of his money to buy her a new mousie to keep her company as she healed. Sunshine is only four, I just couldn't see not spending the money to get a proper diagnosis to give her a long, happy life. She was the runt of the litter and had problems at weaning and other digestive issues when she was a baby, so this wasn't a total surprise.

                            I grew up with lots of animals, my sister was always bringing something home. I can't imagine not having *something* furry in the house. My sister passed her "rescue" instinct on to me and I can't turn away an animal that needs help. Before the baby, we fostered cats and dogs. Now I just give money and time instead of fostering...
                            OH YES,how I love animals.I always wanted to have something furry in my house.I love both dogs and cats.My son likes cats more.I have just had to take a hard look at the costs.With only being able to work part-time because of my sons disability I have had to watch my budget.Animals are spendy if you are a responsible pet owner and you do it right.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by IMSAVED View Post
                              OH YES,how I love animals.I always wanted to have something furry in my house.I love both dogs and cats.My son likes cats more.I have just had to take a hard look at the costs.With only being able to work part-time because of my sons disability I have had to watch my budget.Animals are spendy if you are a responsible pet owner and you do it right.
                              The rescue I volunteer with pays for all vet care for foster animals, so all you need is time and space. Many shelters and private rescues need temporary homes for animals where the foster parent pays very little out of pocket. One rescue here has a "foster buddy" program where people who want to foster animals, but can't afford the extra expense are matched with people who can't foster, but are willing to chip in for food and supplies. Maybe something like that is an option for you?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X