No announcement yet.

Organic foods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do organic where at all possible. There are some foods where it really doesn't matter, like citrus and bananas with the thick peels. There's even a list you probably could find by googling that gives the "dirty dozen" and "clean fifteen" which tells which produce items it would really matter on and those where it's not so crucial.

The other thing for me is that I won't buy produce from Latin/South America. I saw a documentary or something one time that talked about how those countries often use pesticides that have been banned here due to being carcinogenic or otherwise unsafe. That could just be me being paranoid though.

I don't eat animal products so I can't provide much info on meat except to say that I would avoid that which comes from China (which is the majority of the seafood products, particularly if frozen).

Again, this is all just my opinion based on my own research. While I have researched all this extensively, I'm not a dietician or expert or anything.

Comment

Define the term....

Organic sounds like a really great idea, however.....

I live next to the family farm and have helped FIL with tractor and combine operation. I have also spent a lot of time asking him about chemicals used in farming. Some of them are really not that bad, innoculants to prevent seed rot, fertilizer coatings to promote germination, etc. The working definition of organic food is being able to track the food from its source farm and determine it has not had any contact with industrially produced chemicals. Great definition, really hard to police. There are organically created pesticides and herbicides that are harsher than the ones created in chemical plants and you can use them and still call your crop organic.
      The best method by which to decide on whether to buy organic is to look at residual pesticide levels and where the residue accumulates. For instance, one of the fruits that accumulates pesticides is apples, but it tends to mostly stay in the skin. Therefore peeling an apple will dramatically drop pesticide intake.
      The dirty dozen of foods that hold the most residual agricultural chemicals is: apples, celery, strawberries, peaches, spinach, nectarines, grapes, sweet bell peppers, potatoes, blueberries, lettuce and kale/collard
      The lowest residuals can be found in: onions, sweet corn, pineapple, avocado, asparagus, peas, mangoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, kiwis, cabbage, watermelon and sweet potatoes.
      Link- http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Judging by this list, I am living in the wrong climate zone because the season is so short (60 days) and cool that the stuff I can grow the best is found in the dirty dozen list.

Oh well..... at least I can hope for the trees planted by the river of life (Rev 22:1-2) not requiring spraying.

Over and Out
      Sola Scriptura - Scripture Alone
      Solus Christus - Christ Alone
      Sola Gratia - Grace Alone
      Sola Fide - Faith Alone
      Soli Deo Gloria - The Glory of God Alone

Comment

Working...
      X