No announcement yet.

What do you think about Hunger Games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually do my homework...But this time I heard one review of the movie from a Christian review which was not concerning at all. So, last week I told my 14 year old she could go w/Grampa and they are going tomorrow. Grampa's health is poor and we are always looking for something to do w/him. He really enjoys the movies and we don't go often. This just seemed like a good one b/c she wanted to go and he was willing.

Then, today, I read 2 more concerning reviews. One review came right out and said no way! I wish I read that a week ago.

Anyway, we just had a talk and prayed about it and I am letting her go. I pray that the Lord will use it for good.

Being a mom can be challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleSlide View Post
      After reading the article the op posted I will say.................................I read all three books....................loved them (except for the last but that is because of character development). We went to see the midnight movie as a family and LOVED it, but the movie is not for 13 or under. It is not a children's movie! There was no sex in the movie and only one minor curse word that I heard in the movie, but it is after 9pm tv violent.

The article was very opinionated and got it wrong on most levels! They were never presented as 'lovers' and that offends me that they used those terms. They were presented as boy friend and girl friend that is all; there was no sexual overtones in the book at all. There was much more in the article that I could fault, the article was just so wrong.

We also read the books as a family, it is well written and a very quick read. It is not so much a movie about the games but as the books develop it is more about a corrupt government that suppresses its people by having them "participate" in the games, the people (other than those who live in the capitol) DO NOT want the games but they are forced to or death for the family. The games are a way of keeping the districts (there are 12, used to be 13 but it was blown off the map because they rebelled) under control. The capitol district is the only group that doesn't have children who are forced to participate in the games. The capitol lives in extreme excess, they don't understand hunger or want. Katniss is a character who is forced to do things she doesn't want to do and that is what she deals with for the rest of the remaining books. As I said I loved the books it is no more violent than anything on tv after 9pm but people like to jump on band wagons.
      Thanks for your post. It made this Mama feel a bit better about her decision.

Comment

It was filmed here in NC and there is a lot of promotion of it all over the news. It opened in one city at 9:p.m. last Thursday and was sold out.

I don't plan to see it and passed along the plot to my family as they have pre-teens and I did not want them to accidently go without knowing what would transpire in the movie. It sounds "devilish" to me.

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Comment

Thanks, Circleslide, for your input.

My husband and teen children (19 down to 14) have read the books. The big thing to keep in mind is that these books depict a dystopia. Katniss is in a very difficult, very evil situation, and she must do the right thing (well, survive first!). Not only must she survive, not only must she endeavor to save the life of the guy she likes, but also she and he work to show up the evil of the rulers who set up these games.

I think it's a good thing that there's a movie and a book series showing an evil government, because there are too many other things in kids lives that tell them government is god. The current administration wants to do away with charitable deductions and is trying to limit Christian charities in other ways as well -- all as part of their effort to get people not to look to their churches, or themselves . .., and only to the government for jobs, for food, for education . . .

The Lord of the Flies was a very difficult, horrible book to read (I read it 30 years ago), but it had a very profound message: even well-brought up, elite young people can descend into savagery. In other words, we all have evil within us that needs to be restrained.

Comment

dumb

i have no desire to ever see this as i didn't have a desire to see Harry Potter, Twilight or any of that hoopla. I'm a film snob though and work in the film industry so i love independent/foreign films and REAL stories not this hashed out balderdash.

the world is lame in loving this garbage and it plays with the reality shows which in essence are like two people in the forum fighting each other to the death (w/words anyway). that is "entertainment" these days in this now barbaric society. sad really.

i even have a christian friend that has read all the books and has been obsessed with the movie. don't get it!!
            Last edited by HeIsEnough; March 26th, 2012, 04:47 AM. Reason: Watch the language please.

Comment

I have just read that it is pretty violent and that the director will try to tone it down to make it PG-13.. Although PG-13 movies now are more like R movies in the past.
              Thank you, God, for my salvation!

Comment

I have been watching the whole hunger games phenomenon with interest. It seems as if half of my Facebook friends have been to the movie or are big fans of the book. My 17 year old son and friends of his from our very conservative Christian school have been to the movie. My 11 year old who is not a big reader has devoured the series. I have not road-blocked it because I read the 1st book and did not find the objectionable spiritual content that made us avoid Harry Potter and the Twilight series. To me the main issue besides the violence is the absence of God and prayer. If there is no God, you do what you have to do to survive in a sinful world, and you develop your own morality. I would like to be part of a discussion on this with the kids that are like moths to a flame with this story.

Other than entertaining millions and millions of teenagers and making millions and millions of dollars, the net result of The Hunger Games is likely to be:

1) Females will be further distanced from their traditional feminine characteristics that (sadly, some wrongly insist) suggested they were not being real “girls” if they were extremely physically violent.

2) Young teens and many pre-teens will be awakened to the fact that they are capable of extreme violence, given the right set of circumstances.

3) A few psychologically vulnerable teens—who would have come to no good anyhow—may be inspired to replicate the film’s violence.
                Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1qE8OB2Yl

Comment

One district exempt and living in opulance.

The rest fighting to survive.

Perfect set up for communism....

Its always that elite ruling class manipulating the rest of us...

It seems the best way to avoid a dystopian society..... is to create one now.

It will be an interesting ... discussion with kids who have already read it

Just like Harry Potter.

Thanks for the insight everyone. The Wiki synopsis was very helpful.
                  It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
                  sigpic

Comment

I am happy to encourage my husband in leading our family.

I am born again, quiet, work very hard on living a boring life.

But, when I have been physically attacked, I have done what I needed to survive.

Often, we don't know what we ARE capable of until the moment arrives, and you realize "It is them, or me".

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
                    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
                    I get my Bibles here

Comment

Our society appears darker every day. Yes, sounds like folks in the Trib to me...

I remember the movie "Cold Mtn", with Nicole Kidman. It took place during the Civil War, but I remember thinking how it depicted the baseness and evil of human nature when society breaks down.

I would not see this trash-this is entertainment???

Comment

Food for thought..

Why in this nation does a movie about children fighting to the death draw this kind of crowd?

Would you still see the movie if it was called the "rape" games, and the kids went around raping each other to win?

Would you read the book?

Why did we get so relaxed on our viewing standards, that children killing each other for food is worth seeing?Dan~~~>just thinking outloud
                        Exactly Dan!!!

Scary really!!!

Comment

It's very obvious to me: gladiator to the death type games will return.

Maybe even before the rapture.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
                          'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
                          I get my Bibles here

Comment

I remember how chilled I was when I had to read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson in a literature class. That was a nine page story. I'm not sure if I could read or watch Hunger Games.

Comment

No interest in seeing the movie or reading the books. Kids killing kids just isn't something I have any interest in seeing or reading about - I have the news to watch if I want to go down that road.

Comment

And we though Rollerball was mild......

The more closely reality mirrors scifi....the closer the New Reality seems to get.

Mankind often is like the one eyed Cyclops. Always seeing his own destruction and blundering right into it.
                                It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X