No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished "One Year After" after reading "One Second After", by William Forstchen.

Both books cover a community in the USA after an EMP burst shuts everything down across the USA. Fictionwise, I enjoyed One Year After the most of the two. While a very sober topic, the books were both good reads.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

• Just finished the third and last book in the Refiners Fire series by Lynn Austin. This Christian fiction series took place during the civil war. Each book showed the main character's perspective on the war: from the south, the north, and a slave in the south. They all tied together beautifully and I can say that they were some of the best books I've ever read.

Comment

• I recently finished WHEN GOD SPOKE GREEK by Timothy Michael Law, Oxord University Press, 2013.

In this book Mr. Law deals with the importance of the Greek Septuagint as the early Church's Old Testament text. He writes more from a historian's perspective, but tries to lay out a line of inquiry which earnest students of New Testament Greek might engage. The book is well written and accessible to average readers. No controvesy is presented. Mr. Law stands on accepted documentary and archeological evidence and draws conclusions that scholars have advanced before. This book might be helpful to any student of Scripture who has noticed differences between many New Testament citations of the Old Testament and readings of those citatons in our English editions bases upon a Hebrew text.

Marvin

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
          Just finished "One Year After" after reading "One Second After", by William Forstchen.

Both books cover a community in the USA after an EMP burst shuts everything down across the USA. Fictionwise, I enjoyed One Year After the most of the two. While a very sober topic, the books were both good reads.
          That sounds a lot like the Terri Blackstock 4 book series "Last Light" thru "Dawn's Light". Although in that series I believe the cause was natural if I remember correctly.

Currently reading "The Sisters of St Croix" This is the Amazon description.

But when France falls to the German army, Adelaide and the nuns are soon in the thick of a war that threatens both their beliefs and their lives. Collaborating with the Resistance, sheltering Jewish orphans, defying the rulings of Vichy France: these are dangerous activities in dangerous times.
          These courageous women must give all they've got in order to protect the innocent from the evil menace of the Nazi war machine.
          And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
          Romans 11:6

Comment

• Drain The Swamp: How Washington Corruption Is Worse Than You Think, by Congressman Ken Buck.

Can't say I'm actually surprised by any of it.

Take one and pass it on!

Comment

• Daniel Silva's House of Spies.
              sigpic

Comment

• Cricket---House of Spies is on my beside table waiting for me to pick it up. Both my husband and mom loved the book.

Comment

• Deep Shadows by Vannetta Chapman. This is book 1 in the Remnant series. I read the free (on Kindle) prequel called Overshadowed and loved it, so decided to buy the series.

It takes place in Texas and it's the story of survival after a solar flare knocks out the electricity.

Last night we had a thunder storm that took out trees which in turn took out our electricity for 5 hours. So we were in the dark and using candles. Then the power came on but the WiFi was out as well as our cell service. It sure had me thinking about just how reliant we are on technology!! I even came up with a game plan for long term survival: I would hook the fridge and freezer up to the generator but would quickly begin smoking/preserving all the wild game and food in the fridge and freezer.
                  But I wonder...would our fancy generator even work after a solar flare? It's a duel fuel one (propane or gas.) <---- I imagine Trex would know the answer to this.

Comment

• I'm currently reading This Present Darkness by frank perettie. Not very far into it I'm reading it slowly since I already have an imagination I don't wanna fall asleep reading it and having bad dreams.

I'm also reading "co dependant no more" my brother and mom both read it and he bought it so I could read it and hopefully help figure myself out as well as Rebekah. It's intense.

I'm also reading the ever so controversial left behind series again.

Comment

• I'm reading Last Call by John Robinson, also known on RRBB as Gravity or the Scribe
                      Toots

Comment

• Originally posted by Koalie View Post
                        But I wonder...would our fancy generator even work after a solar flare? It's a duel fuel one (propane or gas.) <---- I imagine Trex would know the answer to this.
                        A solar flare is different from a nuclear EMP. Only things that are hooked up to outside power or telephone wiring would be in danger. Even if your generator is automatic, the box that switches over to it would protect it, so it would still be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
                          A solar flare is different from a nuclear EMP. Only things that are hooked up to outside power or telephone wiring would be in danger. Even if your generator is automatic, the box that switches over to it would protect it, so it would still be good.
                          That's good to know Rex, thanks. My husband mentioned getting another one to piggyback it to the other one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                            Cricket---House of Spies is on my beside table waiting for me to pick it up. Both my husband and mom loved the book.
                            Have you read his other books???? They are so good.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Should I start with this one. I have never read any of his works. It is also only $2.99.

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon Series Book 1)
                              And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
                              Romans 11:6

Comment

• Originally posted by DMac View Post
                                Should I start with this one. I have never read any of his works. It is also only $2.99.

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon Series Book 1)
                                I did not read the books in order. Some people like to do that but I do not think it is necessary.
                                Enjoy them, I could not put them down.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X