What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Silva novels.
    Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84:10

Comment

• Exit Music by Ian Rankin. It is one of a series of police novels centered on Inspector Rebus of the Edinburgh (Scotland) police force.

Comment

• Finished "Killing Reagan", and am now reading Ben Carson's new book "A More Perfect Union".
        It's a primer on the constitution, easy to read and understand.
        If he pulled out the political references (there are not that many), it would be an awesome textbook...any one from junior high up could understand it.
        sigpic
        I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Comment

• I just finished reading a really good book, about a nanny in the UK before and during WWII (really good book), called, A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story.

Right now I'm reading a book called: Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children.

After that, I've already bought for my kindle but haven't read yet, Glen Beck's Agenda 21, and then the sequel Agenda 21: Into the Shadows. (I think I read about these 2 books on a thread here on this forum and it peaked my interest, so I went ahead and bought to read next.)

Comment

• Currently reading a book called Boundaries.

So far I've found out I definitely have issues in establishing them. And I do see so much of myself in what is described in the book so far.

It's been helpful to read, and hope to gain more knowledge and put it into action as I continue reading it.

Thanks for recommending to me Cindy S.

Comment

• Originally posted by tiffanybw View Post
              I just finished reading a really good book, about a nanny in the UK before and during WWII (really good book), called, A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story.
              I have been recently been watching the reruns of Downton Abbey on PBS. This book sounds like it would fit in well.
              And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
              Romans 11:6

Comment

• I'm reading 'Kimberly's Hmmmings', by Kimberly McGary, a young woman who lived in the St. Louis area. The book is a journal of her strong faith in God as she experiences the many trials of going through breast cancer treatment.
                .http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...N%3D1490880089
                sigpic
                -Lynn

Comment

• Living By The Book by Howard and William Hendricks. Picking this wasn't my idea as it's part of our current men's study at church, but so far an excellent book about how to get more out of scripture reading and study.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMac View Post
                    I have been recently been watching the reruns of Downton Abbey on PBS. This book sounds like it would fit in well.
                    I also, am a Downton Abbey fan.

And yes, the book does tie in well with it. Happens during the same time period and in England. I think Downton Abbey was even mentioned in the book by the author. It was interesting to read, how there was a special school nannies went to, how basically if one was a nanny she was giving up her entire life because really never had time off from work, couldn't really marry or ever have their own children.

I thought I worked a lot of hours per week. But these ladies who were nannies back then, they really worked hard! I identified with a lot in the book though, being a nanny myself. Dealing with issues of the parents (there is really no choice as when in someone's house so much of the time, you really do become part of the family, and very much involved in the lives of the entire family). Also, you become very close with the children you care for. All of the children I've cared for, I've become so close to and love them all very much. It's painful when a position ends, being one day so much a part of the children's lives and of the family, and the next, having to let that all go. I love doing it though, love my job so much! Still though, I don't think I would have been a nanny back then, because as much as I love the family I work for, and families I have worked for, I could never have gone through life without having my own husband, my own children and family. I know they are mine and with me forever, and nothing could ever replace them. This makes it easier for me when a position does end, because as a nanny you become so close to the children especially, but still you have to emotionally maintain boundaries, because those children will grow up, lives go on, and the family won't need you as their nanny forever. It's a very rewarding career. I only wish I wouldn't have wasted 15 years of my life in banking because to think I could have been doing this that entire time, and most likely I could have found a position in which I could have taken my own young ones with me (as many families allow that), and could have spent more time with them while they were growing up. I do feel some regret I guess, in that I'm able to take care of, spend time with, and truly be a huge part of raising the children of the families I have worked for, and even get paid for it, but with my own I wasn't able to spend as much time with them because I worked a regular full time job at a bank. It's a great career option, being a personal in house nanny (not live in but just going to the house of and caring for the children of the family you work for) pays VERY well, just as much as most full time jobs (but only without benefits but depending with some families, benefits are also included and can be negotiated), and something to think about doing if you are a stay at home mom, want to be able to be with your children all of the time, but also want to earn extra income for your family. Many families are looking for a good nanny, someone they can trust, and they want personal in home care for their children and not just dropping them at some day care center or in house child care center. And if you are a childcare provider in a daycare center or something like that, most likely you would make more money than you do currently, and also would probably enjoy your job much more.

Comment

• I just finished "Trapped in Hitler's Hell" by Anita Dittman. Anita's story was quite different from many of the stories that have been told by or about the Jewish experience under the Nazis. The story covers her life experiences from her elementary school years through age 17 or 18 when the war ended. I could only read small portions at a time... I believe Jan Markell actually penned the book. She did a good job. Anita's unwavering faith in Jesus throughout her long ordeal is inspiring.
                      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

• Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                        I just finished "Trapped in Hitler's Hell" by Anita Dittman. .
                        I read that. It was a good book.
                        And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
                        Romans 11:6

Comment

• The Prophecies of Daniel by Lehman Strauss

We are studying Daniel in our Sunday School class and I just happen to find this gem at the library for extra reading. Gives commentary on each chapter of Daniel.

Comment

• I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist by Frank Turek and Norman Geisler. Pretty good.

Comment

• I'm currently reading a book called: Once an Arafat Man: The True Story of How a PLO Sniper Found a New Life, written by Tass Saada.

Mr. Saada was born in the Gaza Strip and is Palestinian. He had a pretty difficult life moving around from place to place as a refugee, felt he didn't have a real home and the Jewish people stole his home from him, had much hate for Jews that built and built over his lifetime, and he was a Muslim. He came to know Jesus as his Lord and Savior through a friend and business associate he had gotten to know well since moving to America.

He was a member of the PLO, a sniper, and eventually he was Yasser Arafat's personal driver. I'm only halfway through the book right now, but I'd absolutely recommend to others to read. It gives you a picture of what the Palestinians have been through and you are able to see things better from their eyes. I'm absolutely a supporter of Israel (and Mr. Saada is now too ) but after reading Mr. Saada's personal account of his life, I can see how Palestinian's would be angry, and would feel hate for the Jewish people. After all, they are just people too, and in their eyes, the Jewish people took their homeland, their country, from them, leaving them with no place to call home, and refugees no matter where they went.

Tass Saada now runs an organization called Hope for Ishmael http://hopeforishmael.org/our-founder/. This is their mission statement from their website:

Our Heart is for Reconciliation.

Reconciling Muslims and Jews to the Father and then to each other through the gospel of Jesus Christ. We believe that God is unleashing His truth amongst Muslims and Jews around the world, stirring hearts towards His love.

The vision of Hope for Ishmael is to partner with churches and organizations that share a desire to plant the Hope and Peace of Jesus Christ in a hurting world.

Tass Saada and Joel Rosenberg are good friends and Joel Rosenberg wrote the introduction to the book and endorsed it.

Here's a link to the book, should one want to learn more about it or to read it for themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Definitely worth reading in my opinion.

Comment

• Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. Most of the story is set in China with the main character being Li Quan, a godly middle age man who graduated from Harvard with Ph.D, but due to his Christian faith, was never allowed to teach after returning to China.
                                His college roommate shows up in his life after 20 years, and he is hugely successful career wise and a failure in his personal life. This book drives home the point that Jesus is what all of us need; nothing else will ever satisfy.
                                sigpic
                                -Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X