significance of a sideways cross? *merged*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• significance of a sideways cross? *merged*

Is there anything negative about a sideways cross in jewelry for example? I've seen a lot of sideways cross popping up at local jewelry stores, and was just wondering it there was anything wrong with it.

Examples:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zQi2sgF57y...0/DSC09237.JPG

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=14153930

I have never seen that before.

Comment

They seem to be all the rage, at least in my city. The ring is from Forever21 and the necklace from a popular (bc of the sideways cross) Etsy seller.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        I have never seen that before.
        I haven't either...

But, honestly, I don't like it.

Comment

Here's a couple explanations I found...

sideways cross necklace is inspired by jewelry worn by celebs like Jessica Biel and Michelle Williams. (possible OOPS or artistic license?)

One peron's idea... the sideways cross should mean humanity, earth, or Imbetween heaven and hell.

On graves it is a reference to the hope of the resurrection. The cross has been taken down because Jesus has completed the work of his sacrifice. ("It is done")

There's also some speculation about it being a reference to something that's sure to land this thread in the shed, so I'll just leave it at that.
          "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
          For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Comment

Originally posted by fracturedInfinity View Post
            Here's a couple explanations I found...

sideways cross necklace is inspired by jewelry worn by celebs like Jessica Biel and Michelle Williams. (possible OOPS or artistic license?)

One peron's idea... the sideways cross should mean humanity, earth, or Imbetween heaven and hell.

On graves it is a reference to the hope of the resurrection. The cross has been taken down because Jesus has completed the work of his sacrifice. ("It is done")

There's also some speculation about it being a reference to something that's sure to land this thread in the shed, so I'll just leave it at that.
            I got that too...

Comment

There's also this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_cross

The Norwegian flag was the first Nordic cross flag with three colours. Though the flags share this pattern, they have individual histories and symbolism. The cross symbolizes Christianity.
              Who knows?

Originally posted by Amber Lynne View Post
              I got that too...
              "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
              For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Comment

the inbetween heaven and hell thing makes me definitely want to stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by farah View Post
                  the inbetween heaven and hell thing makes me definitely want to stay away.

Comment

personally, I believe there is something stinky, dead fishy about it......not the fish we all relate to true, born again believers. Sideways is just as equal to upside down (the one peter died on)....but possibly more significant to something.

If you don't know it's meaning....you should be leaving.

Comment

I tried looking it up, but oddly couldn't find much on the meaning, just people trying to sell it.

It doesn't sit right with me. It like they are making a silent statement against Christianity.
                      I could be wrong.
                      I don't like the necklaces with Jesus on the cross either. Just imho he has defeated the cross, don't leave him up there.......I don't have anything against those who wear it though.

Comment

Originally posted by texasgirl View Post
                        I tried looking it up, but oddly couldn't find much on the meaning, just people trying to sell it.

It doesn't sit right with me. It like they are making a silent statement against Christianity.
                        I could be wrong.
                        I don't like the necklaces with Jesus on the cross either. Just imho he has defeated the cross, don't leave him up there.......I don't have anything against those who wear it though.
                        The ones where he is on the cross I can live with better than one sideways. Usually Catholics wear the ones where he is on the cross, if I am remembering correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by texasgirl View Post

I could be wrong.
                          I so agree! He Rose from the dead, so why leave Him on the Cross??? I like my Lord alive!

Originally posted by Amber Lynne View Post
                          The ones where he is on the cross I can live with better than one sideways. Usually Catholics wear the ones where he is on the cross, if I am remembering correctly.
                          Yes, Amber, in fact with the Catholics He's almost always a baby or on the Cross looking dead or close to it.

Comment

The ixthus (don't know how to spell it) the fishy is the best way to symbolize your faith, IMHO. It was a symbol used back in Paul's day, when Nero was in power and believing in Jesus was equivalent to treason and murder. So, secretly they would make the one half of the fish to see if the other person would comply with the second half, then they knew if the person was a believer or not.

This is much better and reasonable if you must wear a symbol made out of silver and gold. The cross and cross with jesus on it are resaonable only if one uses it for ministry, like an opening statement.

The sideways cross, IMHO is not reasonable and has no merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                              Yes, Amber, in fact with the Catholics He's almost always a baby or on the Cross looking dead or close to it.
                              Thought so.

Comment

Working...
                              X