This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lisa View Post
    We don't have kids and we live in a building that the neighborhood kids can't get into for trick or treating, so Halloween is a non-issue for us.
    Same here. My apartment building has security doors, you have to buzz people in, so I haven't had a single trick-or-treater in the 3 years I've lived here. It is a big lift from my shoulders to not to have to deal with it. Even the kids in the building don't come a-knocking. I stopped looking at it as innocent fun and free-candy long ago. Even when I was a kid trick-or-treating I wondered whether or not I should've been doing it, having learned of its pagan origins at a very early age. I'm often surprised when I hear people don't know the origins of Halloween, but I guess I shouldn't be. Most people just don't think it's a big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneDayNearer View Post
      Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by AllforHim View Post
        Hallelujah!!!! Wonderful!!! There needs to be more pages like yours!!
        Thank you so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sing4Him View Post
          thanks

Thank you!

Comment

• This is off topic but since someone mentioned Christmas.....

I don't have children (and I may have posted this already) but if I'm ever blessed with little ones I do not plan on including Santa or the Easter Bunny in our Holidays. I just feel like the world is trying it's hardest to take Christ out....so in my home the focus of these Holidays will be where it should be, on Jesus. I guess I kind of feel strongly about this.

My kids would still get gifts....but they will come from Jesus not santa. And we will try to "be good" because it pleases Jesus (not santa) and we exchange the gifts because we're so happy that God gave us the greatest gift of all.

I think it can still be a really great Christmas without santa. Same thing with Easter, who needs the Easter Bunny?

(I didn't mean to derail the thread)

Comment

• Originally posted by Resting View Post
              I agree with you. I love to celebrate Christmas and Easter because they celebrate the Lord! I know they have pagan origins, but I have nothing to do with those origins. It is what it is now.

Just as Halloween is...but it was never good...has nothing to do with the Lord...and I just don't want a part in it.

As for Santa, I am less sure. We make a huge deal about Christmas being Christ's birthday, and the kids know this...Santa has been included in past Christmases (plural?)-don't know if this is me clinging to a fleshly thing or what.

I guess I'm unsure as to how far to take this...
              I agree with the reasons for celebrating Christmas and Easter, that is why we never gave them up... I love your answer above.

It took us sometime to change our views on the Santa Claus thing.. We originally allowed it with the oldest and middle son; then became saved and told the truth; but i had fond memories as a child, etc. So let my youngest son believe for a time; my dd wasn't really interested; But as i prayed about it became convicted to not lie to them anymore and tell the real story of where Santa came from, etc.

My youngest son really had an obsession wiht Santa, superheroes, etc. We have to really watch with him to make sure he doesn't put these above God. So he was my main focus of prayer.. I jsut had to tell him Santa is for fun; but not a real person and that the real reason for the season is JESUS!! We did this last year when he was 6.. He seems totally fine with it now.

BUT i suggest prayer; see how God is leading you; every family is different..

Comment

• Originally posted by StarryEyedLad View Post
                Same here. My apartment building has security doors, you have to buzz people in, so I haven't had a single trick-or-treater in the 3 years I've lived here. It is a big lift from my shoulders to not to have to deal with it. Even the kids in the building don't come a-knocking. I stopped looking at it as innocent fun and free-candy long ago. Even when I was a kid trick-or-treating I wondered whether or not I should've been doing it, having learned of its pagan origins at a very early age. I'm often surprised when I hear people don't know the origins of Halloween, but I guess I shouldn't be. Most people just don't think it's a big deal.
                It's crazy strange but in a good way; even as a child doing this; i never felt comfortable with the holiday... Hated the scary monsters, and we went to those haunted houses every year.. When i got a bit older i would get sick just about every year and not be able to go.. God was working even then, cool huh?!! My oldest son who before i was saved did go out; got sick not kidding almost every year for halloween and the years he didn't get sick he was in trouble for something pretty bad and couldnt' go out.. I don't think he went out but maybe 2 or 3 times in all of his life living with us before we changed our views in 97 the year of our salvation or re-dedication to the Lord whatever you want to call it; b/c i was saved at 3; but w/out parents walking with the Lord had no real knowledge of Jesus until i was 24-25.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByHisGrace View Post
                  This is off topic but since someone mentioned Christmas.....

I don't have children (and I may have posted this already) but if I'm ever blessed with little ones I do not plan on including Santa or the Easter Bunny in our Holidays. I just feel like the world is trying it's hardest to take Christ out....so in my home the focus of these Holidays will be where it should be, on Jesus. I guess I kind of feel strongly about this.

My kids would still get gifts....but they will come from Jesus not santa. And we will try to "be good" because it pleases Jesus (not santa) and we exchange the gifts because we're so happy that God gave us the greatest gift of all.

I think it can still be a really great Christmas without santa. Same thing with Easter, who needs the Easter Bunny?

You said this so much better then me.. ICAM!!!!

Comment

• Thank you for the page. I just ordered the kid books for my kids' on halloween and Christmas.. They were hard to find it's too bad they look like a good read. The library doesn't even offer them and ebay didn't have any either last night. But good 'ole Amazon did for a used price.. yay!

Comment

• here's a cool idea...
                      my dh just suggested that we take the kids to see the new 10 commandments movie (yes i have seen the thread about taking the word "God" out of the promos....) on halloween. usually we go out for dinner, so maybe this year we'll go for a cheap dinner (or have early dinner home?) and we'll go to see that movie. something different AND God centered (well, hopefully they did the movie right! LOL!)

Comment

• Thanks Patnmel97!

Scrappergirl, sounds like a good idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByHisGrace View Post
                          This is off topic but since someone mentioned Christmas.....

This is exactly the way I have always handled it with my son. Plus I didn't feel right lying to him about Santa while at the same time trying to teach him it's a sin to lie.

As for Halloween, it always gave me the heebie jeebies even before I was saved. Then after when I learned what it's really all about, I decided early on not to allow my son to participate. He never had a problem with that. He says he's never liked Halloween either.

He's older now but when he was younger, he used to have to answer countless questions from teachers and other students about why he didn't celebrate Halloween, which I'm sure wasn't easy for him when people mocked him or whatever, but it taught him at a young age to stand up for what he believes in, and not hide Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by patnmel97 View Post
                            Thank you for the page. I just ordered the kid books for my kids' on halloween and Christmas.. They were hard to find it's too bad they look like a good read. The library doesn't even offer them and ebay didn't have any either last night. But good 'ole Amazon did for a used price.. yay!
                            Great! I'm glad you found them and got a good deal!

Comment

• onedaynearer,
                              can you share with me how your son concisely shared why he didn't celebrate? my kids tend to say 'its a long story' (which just sounds like either they don't know or they think its not worth sharing) and i tell them the quick thing to say is that it doesn't honor God....but, i wonder...is there a way to fit the reason into the explanation in such a way that they're not talking for an hour or sounding like they're calling those who do participate 'devil worshipers' (as the op states. lol)...

i find it even hard to explain it fully to them...they know, but, not fully.
                              would like to hear how you explain it (and esp how your son does)...
                              thanks!

Comment

• okay, this question is a bit off base, but, how many here attend churches who either promote or approve of halloween?

mine does not (necessarily) but many of the congregants to celebrate. i did get very upset today when i saw the youth calendar has 'trick or treating' on it. in fact, i got livid. there are quite a few who agree w/me, but sadly, most ppl there who have kids my kids' ages DO still celebrate halloween, and frankly i am starting to feel like i am the one who does not belong...even though i know the pastor and his wife and many others feel the same way i do about it. but the youth pastor....argh. sometimes i wonder if he does things just to aggravate people (my take is that he has a problem with adults and their stodgy ways. and authority. and submission.)

anyway.
                                it just made me wonder what other ppl's experience is at church (officially and unofficially)...

i don't want to derail this thread, so if its necessary i guess i can open a new one...and i don't want this to be a bash-my-youth pastor thread, either...but i needed to bring that part up to clarify, i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X