Announcement

Collapse

Time to Move to Rapture Forums

Brothers and Sisters,

Rapture Ready's Bulletin Board is no longer maintained. Members have been moving to Rapture Forum's Bulletin Board https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/ Apparently unrepairable bugs in our software after a needed upgrade led to the decision to close Rapture Ready and to encourage members to continue fellowship at Rapture Forums. You'll find an active and vibrant Bulletin Board at Rapture Forums. See you there!
See more
See less

Finding a church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a church

I am looking for a good church. Which denominations are good?

I'm not sure that any denominations are good these days. I've heard good things about Calvary Chapel churches. There aren't any where I live. I visited one in New Jersey a month or so ago and left with mixed feelings regarding the specific church I visited. Finding a good church family can be a difficult task these days. Sign of the times we live in, I think...
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by respicefinem View Post
      I am looking for a good church. Which denominations are good?
      We are currently members of a Southern Baptist church, but when visiting Minnesota recently, we visited a very fine independent Baptist church with a biblically solid young pastor. If you go to website of any church you might be interested in, if you go to 'About Us' and read What We Believe, that will help you to narrow down the choices, and you can decide whether or not to visit in person. Also, some churches have live streaming services which is a tremendous help as well. The main thing to remember is, 'Do they have the gospel correct, or are they wanting to interest people in their music and relevant sermons?'
      sigpic
      -Lynn

Comment

I like Independent Baptist Churches, but I don't agree with King James Onlyism.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post

We are currently members of a Southern Baptist church, but when visiting Minnesota recently, we visited a very fine independent Baptist church with a biblically solid young pastor. If you go to website of any church you might be interested in, if you go to 'About Us' and read What We Believe, that will help you to narrow down the choices, and you can decide whether or not to visit in person. Also, some churches have live streaming services which is a tremendous help as well. The main thing to remember is, 'Do they have the gospel correct, or are they wanting to interest people in their music and relevant sermons?'
          The problem is most of the churches that I like are too far away. There is a pretty well known prophecy expert named Mark Hitchcock that has a church in Oklahoma, but it's about 10-12 miles away. For me that is just too far. I have been to Calvary Chapel but they are too far away as well. Everything around me is not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by respicefinem View Post

The problem is most of the churches that I like are too far away. There is a pretty well known prophecy expert named Mark Hitchcock that has a church in Oklahoma, but it's about 10-12 miles away. For me that is just too far. I have been to Calvary Chapel but they are too far away as well. Everything around me is not very good.
            10-12 miles away is too far? I would love to find a good church only 10-12 miles from our farm. We commute 47 miles every Sunday & in the fall, Wednesday nights as well, even when it becomes dark at 5 o'clock. Not meaning to boast, but we live in a rural area, and good, biblically solid churches are pretty far away. Mark Hitchcock is great! If he pastored a church less than 15 miles from us, we would contact the church to see if any members of the congregation might live nearby & perhaps pay them for a ride or barter something in exchange.
            (This assumes that transportation is an issue for you.)
            sigpic
            -Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post

10-12 miles away is too far? I would love to find a good church only 10-12 miles from our farm. We commute 47 miles every Sunday & in the fall, Wednesday nights as well, even when it becomes dark at 5 o'clock. Not meaning to boast, but we live in a rural area, and good, biblically solid churches are pretty far away. Mark Hitchcock is great! If he pastored a church less than 15 miles from us, we would contact the church to see if any members of the congregation might live nearby & perhaps pay them for a ride or barter something in exchange.
              (This assumes that transportation is an issue for you.)
              At the moment, yes. My wife and I are both out of work at the moment and living on savings.

Comment

I see. That does indeed create a hardship for you. It might be that the service is livestreamed. Also, the suggestion of a church member picking you up, even once a month would be a blessing. Or maybe two people could rotate picking up you & your wife. There's bound to be some people from the church who could get you on their way.
                I hope that your employment situation improves soon.
                sigpic
                -Lynn

Comment

Respicefinem, on the website of this church, the staff includes a man who serves as the pastor of connections. You could email him and see if they have a church van that comes your way, or, as mentioned earlier, members who live out your way & would enjoy ministering to your wife & you by taking you to church. People often did this sort of thing on a regular basis when I was growing up, and nobody thought anything about it.
                  sigpic
                  -Lynn

Comment

Agreed. Mark Hitchcock is spot on in his preaching/teaching. I'm sure his church either live-streams or you could watch his sermons online. Even our last very small church ran a bus on Sundays and went at least 10-12 mikes to pick up folks. Please check into that.
                    Prayers your financial situation will improve for both of you, and God will provide the opportunity for employment (maybe even through connections in this church? You never know what God has planned and where it will come from).

Comment

Correction, 18 miles. I was guesstimating and I was off by several miles.

Comment

Yes, the service is livestreamed every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. That's good to know.
                        sigpic
                        -Lynn

Comment

Working...
                        X