Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

what do you think about IVF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think about IVF?

I go to a church casually right now and the pastor had a sermon about IVF because he and his wife just had a baby that way. They did think it over very carefully and said that they planned on having the other embryos adopted but to me I just think it is wrong to "play God" and even if you freeze embryos that you don't use they could die that way and I wouldn't want to be held accountable to the creator on how i "created" these other lives and they died. I'm just surprised a Godly man or woman would consider this. Just wondered what others thought about it. To me, it is just kind of disrespecting God like saying well you won't make us pregnant so i'm gonna put matters in my own hands.

I vaguely remember being old enough to understand the logistics behind IVF when the scientists first 'created' life this way. I had similar thoughts, that we shouldn't be 'playing God' like this. However, I also think that God can use a human's poor choices to bring about good (who is to say if this baby might be a mighty preacher?).

One of my arguments against the IVF is it eliminates the whole process of 'survival of the fittest' (yes, I know this is probably a darwin-ism, but hear me out). For instance, when I learned how much work the male cell has to go through to reach the egg, swimming all that way, and then, once some of them reach the egg, they all have to press into it and only one can enter. How is it decided which one gets to enter? Scientists (as far as I know) have no idea, but God knows. So how can a scientist pick up a male cell from a petri dish, and force-inject it into the egg, and call that 'good'? Seems to open up the possibility for a whole lot of weakness in the resulting child that might not be immediately apparent, but there is so much we don't know about things.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

I went through infertility work up and was told IVF was the only way I would be able to have a child. I never got as far as considering the ethical issues. The price quoted was about $20,000 and there was no guarantee of success...actually the success rate quoted was quite low. We decided to use the $20,000 to put folks on the Mission field instead. I am a little surprised that the pastor did a whole sermon on IVF????!!!! What Scriptures did he use to support this in his sermon?

Comment

I totally agree with what you are saying. like the old saying goes "it's not nice to fool with mother nature" and really it is not a good idea. Cloning - omg that's another topic. just no we shouldn't go there! not our place.

Originally posted by Firefly View Post
        I vaguely remember being old enough to understand the logistics behind IVF when the scientists first 'created' life this way. I had similar thoughts, that we shouldn't be 'playing God' like this. However, I also think that God can use a human's poor choices to bring about good (who is to say if this baby might be a mighty preacher?).

One of my arguments against the IVF is it eliminates the whole process of 'survival of the fittest' (yes, I know this is probably a darwin-ism, but hear me out). For instance, when I learned how much work the male cell has to go through to reach the egg, swimming all that way, and then, once some of them reach the egg, they all have to press into it and only one can enter. How is it decided which one gets to enter? Scientists (as far as I know) have no idea, but God knows. So how can a scientist pick up a male cell from a petri dish, and force-inject it into the egg, and call that 'good'? Seems to open up the possibility for a whole lot of weakness in the resulting child that might not be immediately apparent, but there is so much we don't know about things.

Comment

Well I'm in Los Angeles so as you know it might be a bit more "liberal" with that stuff out here but he didn't specifically give scriptures to back his story or decision. I think it's nice they shared it but not so good that they practically endorsed it as a good thing to do. I'm not sure I even want to attend the church anymore.

Also, it brings stories of abraham, sara and hagar. where they try to make a baby happen out of God's timing and will and God finally brings the baby to sarah at an old age. Humans try to make their will happen but God's will prevails and I just think it's wrong to manipulate human life and try and make it happen in a human way.

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
          I went through infertility work up and was told IVF was the only way I would be able to have a child. I never got as far as considering the ethical issues. The price quoted was about $20,000 and there was no guarantee of success...actually the success rate quoted was quite low. We decided to use the $20,000 to put folks on the Mission field instead. I am a little surprised that the pastor did a whole sermon on IVF????!!!! What Scriptures did he use to support this in his sermon?

Comment

bravo for using the money that way. 👏🏻👏🏻

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post

Comment

Since both my husband and I have genetic issues, we might have done embryo adoption - where they put someone else's fertilized eggs into me. Biologically, the child wouldn't have been ours (good, because we both have some serious issues), but it would have grown in me like a normal fetus.

Of course that didn't work out. I have my hands full taking care of him and the medication I take is harmful to a developing baby - they don't even want my blood anymore.

Honestly, I find IVF sad, because there are so many children awaiting adoption. Many of them are mixed race or disabled, but they are still 'good" kids. No, you may not get a cute little infant that will only bond to you, but an older child has just as much, if not more, love to give. Foster to adopt programs are very affordable and they make it pretty painless.

But it wasn't God's will for me to have kids, and I'm OK with that. He gave me some wonderful cats.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
              'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
              I get my Bibles here

Comment

aww i have cats too. lol. they are fun

i agree and there are plenty of embryos to adopt but the whole thing to me is science fiction creepy and i just dont believe we should be trying to make embryos in the first place. God can do anything and if it is a no then there are plenty of children or babies to adopt or ambryos as well. i think some stuff should be left to our creator and man shouldnt mess with it.

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
                Since both my husband and I have genetic issues, we might have done embryo adoption - where they put someone else's fertilized eggs into me. Biologically, the child wouldn't have been ours (good, because we both have some serious issues), but it would have grown in me like a normal fetus.

Of course that didn't work out. I have my hands full taking care of him and the medication I take is harmful to a developing baby - they don't even want my blood anymore.

Honestly, I find IVF sad, because there are so many children awaiting adoption. Many of them are mixed race or disabled, but they are still 'good" kids. No, you may not get a cute little infant that will only bond to you, but an older child has just as much, if not more, love to give. Foster to adopt programs are very affordable and they make it pretty painless.

But it wasn't God's will for me to have kids, and I'm OK with that. He gave me some wonderful cats.

Comment

Working...
                X