This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buford12 View Post
    I do want to say that we WERE unworthy, but now are joint heirs with Jesus. I think it is important to see us as God sees us. Paul says we are now the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. That means we are NOT an Old Sinner Saved By Grace. We WERE an Old Sinner, and we HAVE been Saved By Grace. That means God sees us in right standing with God - not because of what we have done, but because of what HE did! How marvelous is that!
    Amen!! . The Bible never refers to the members of the Bride as "sinners.".

We were sinners, but we have been washed, sanctified and justified (meaning in the sight of God, we have never ever even once sinned) in the Name of the Lord Jesus and by the Holy Spirit of God. 1 Corinthians 6:11.

That is just one verse, the Bible is chock full o' them. A marvelous salvation indeed - praise the Lord!! \ 0 /
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post
      Does this thread qualify for sticky status?
      Yes for Current and New Christians to read.

See This too like this Thread.

"What does it mean to accept Jesus as your personal Savior?"

Answer: Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? To properly understand this question, you must first understand the terms “Jesus Christ,” “personal,” and “Savior.”

Who is Jesus Christ? Many people will acknowledge Jesus Christ as a good man, a great teacher, or even a prophet of God. These things are definitely true of Jesus, but they do not fully define who He truly is. The Bible tells us that Jesus is God in the flesh, God in human form (see John 1:1, 14). God came to earth to teach us, heal us, correct us, forgive us—and die for us! Jesus Christ is God, the Creator, the sovereign Lord. Have you accepted this Jesus?

What is a Savior, and why do we need a Savior? The Bible tells us that we have all sinned; we have all committed evil acts (Romans 3:10-18). As a result of our sin, we deserve God's anger and judgment. The only just punishment for sins committed against an infinite and eternal God is an infinite punishment (Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:11-15). That is why we need a Savior!

Jesus Christ came to earth and died in our place. Jesus' death was an infinite payment for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins (Romans 5:8). Jesus paid the price so that we would not have to. Jesus' resurrection from the dead proved that His death was sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins. That is why Jesus is the one and only Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)! Are you trusting in Jesus as your Savior?

Is Jesus your “personal” Savior? Many people view Christianity as attending church, performing rituals, and/or not committing certain sins. That is not Christianity. True Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Accepting Jesus as your personal Savior means placing your own personal faith and trust in Him. No one is saved by the faith of others. No one is forgiven by doing certain deeds. The only way to be saved is to personally accept Jesus as your Savior, trusting in His death as the payment for your sins and His resurrection as your guarantee of eternal life (John 3:16). Is Jesus personally your Savior?

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, say the following words to God. Remember, saying this prayer or any other prayer will not save you. Only believing in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross for you can save you from sin. This prayer is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for providing for your salvation. “God, I know that I have sinned against You and deserve punishment. But I believe Jesus Christ took the punishment I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I receive Your offer of forgiveness and place my trust in You for salvation. I accept Jesus as my personal Savior! Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness—the gift of eternal life! Amen!”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/personal...#ixzz34CNr2le9

Comment

It's *stuck*!
        "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

Question: "Faith vs. fear - what does the Bible say?"

Answer:
          Faith and fear cannot exist together. Faith is described in Hebrews 11:1 as being "certain of what we do not see." It is an absolute belief that God is constantly working behind the scenes in every area of our lives, even when there is no tangible evidence to support that fact. On the other hand, fear, simply stated, is unbelief or weak belief. As unbelief gains the upper hand in our thoughts, fear takes hold of our emotions. Our deliverance from fear and worry is based on faith, which is the very opposite of unbelief. We need to understand that faith is not something that we can produce in ourselves. Faith is a gift (Ephesians 2:8-9) and is described as a fruit (or characteristic) which is produced in our lives by the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22). The Christian's faith is a confident assurance in a God who loves us, who knows our thoughts and cares about our deepest needs. That faith continues to grow as we study the Bible and learn the attributes of His amazing character. The more we learn about God, the more we can see Him working in our lives and the stronger our faith grows.

A growing faith is what we desire to have and what God desires to produce in us. But how, in day-to-day life, can we develop a faith that conquers our fears? The Bible says, "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17). The careful study of God's Word is of primary importance in developing a strong faith. God wants us to know Him and completely rely on His direction in our lives. It's through the hearing, reading and meditation in the Scriptures that we begin to experience a strong, confident faith that excludes worry and fear. Spending time in prayer and quiet worship develops a relationship with our heavenly Father that sees us through even the darkest of nights. In the Psalms we see a picture of David, who, like us, experienced times of fear. Psalm 56:3 reveals his faith with these words: "When I am afraid, I will trust in you." Psalm 119 is filled with verses expressing the way in which David treasured God's Word: "I seek you with all my heart" (v. 10); "I meditate on your precepts" (v. 15); "I have hidden your word in my heart" (v. 11). These are revealing words which speak wisdom to us today.

God is kind and understanding toward our weaknesses, but He requires us to go forward in faith, and the Bible is clear that faith does not mature and strengthen without trials. Adversity is God's most effective tool to develop a strong faith. That pattern is evident in Scripture. God takes each one of us through fearful situations, and as we learn to obey God's Word and allow it to saturate our thoughts, we find each trial becomes a stepping stone to a stronger and deeper faith. It gives us that ability to say, "He sustained me in the past, He'll carry me through today and He'll uphold me in the future!" God worked this way in David's life. When David volunteered to fight against Goliath, he said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine" (1 Samuel 17:37). David knew the God who had sustained him through dangerous situations in the past. He had seen and experienced God's power and protection in his life, and this developed within him a fearless faith.

The Word of God is rich with promises for us to take hold of and claim for ourselves. When we face financial trouble, Philippians 4:19 tells us, "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." If we are anxious about a future decision, Psalm 32:8 reminds us that God will "instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." In sickness we can remember that Romans 5:3 says, "Tribulation works patience." If someone turns against us, we can be comforted by the words in Romans 8:31, "If God is for us who can be against us!" Throughout life we will continue to face various trials that would cause us fear, but God assures us that we can know a calm peace through every situation, "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding” which He has promised will “guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

http://gotquestions.org/faith-vs-fear.html
          Faith in Christ

Comment

Originally posted by jointheir View Post
            What you are feeling right now is Freedom. Freedom in the Spirit that only our Lord and Saviour gives. Every other religion is man's attempt to get to God. But Jesus is our way to God; he's already done it for us. Praise God because I could never save myself. You are also feeling peace...the peace that passes all understanding because now your peace isn't based on anything you did but what God has already done for you. Wow, I remember the first time I realized that it wasn't anything that I did that saves me, but what Jesus did on the cross - what a big huge burden lifted from my puny, fleshly shoulders, what a huge sigh of relief. Thank you Lord Jesus for dying for my sins; for paying the price that I should have paid. Thank you for making a way for me to come into your perfect presence. It is such an honor to serve a King who is so benevolent that he died so that I might live. Wow - what's better than that?

Just went back and reread this thread. And jointheir, you are spot on! Freedom and true peace is exactly what I felt when I first read the testimony idonjohn shared with all of us. And I've had that freedom and peace ever since, although I am still growing daily in God's word and sanctification. Do I make mistakes, mess up, find myself drifting away from the Lord at times, you bet! But the Holy Spirit calls to me, the sheep who used to be lost but now is not, and whom He will always keep in the palm of His hand. So even though I may wander away at times to the edge of His hand, my Father comes to get me, closes His fist, and there I am right back where I belong, in the palm of His hand again. Praise Him!

So glad to see this got stickied, as everyone should read. I'm so happy to see it has helped so many others in addition to myself!

Comment

Originally posted by jointheir View Post
              What you are feeling right now is Freedom. Freedom in the Spirit that only our Lord and Saviour gives. Every other religion is man's attempt to get to God. But Jesus is our way to God; he's already done it for us. Praise God because I could never save myself. You are also feeling peace...the peace that passes all understanding because now your peace isn't based on anything you did but what God has already done for you. Wow, I remember the first time I realized that it wasn't anything that I did that saves me, but what Jesus did on the cross - what a big huge burden lifted from my puny, fleshly shoulders, what a huge sigh of relief. Thank you Lord Jesus for dying for my sins; for paying the price that I should have paid. Thank you for making a way for me to come into your perfect presence. It is such an honor to serve a King who is so benevolent that he died so that I might live. Wow - what's better than that?
              jointheir, I was re-reading this thread and saw your post. You had the same "got it" moment that I had when the Holy Spirit turned on the light for me, and the huge dreadful burden that I had carried for many years was immediately replaced with an enormous overwhelming sense of relief. I couldn't resist commenting on your post because your experience was so similar to mine.

Thank you Heavenly Father for sending your Son to take my sin upon Himself as He died on the cross.
              Thank you Holy Spirit for showing me that I was a sinner who needed his sins forgiven.
              Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross & shedding your blood to pay my sin debt which I could not pay.

Thank you Lord for bringing me out of darkness into the Light of your Word.

ldonjohn

Comment

John Ankerberg Articles

Just noticed that the links to articles on the John Ankerberg website do not work. I am listing new links below that do work just in case someone wants to read them.

There are 8 articles here. They are very lengthy articles, but they are worth reading for anyone who is desperately seeking answers about their salvation as I explained about my experience in my testimony. The "How Can You Be Sure that You Will Spend Eternity with God?/Program 3" article, the second link below, would have really helped me during my struggle with doubting salvation 40 years ago if they had been available to me.

All 8 articles:
                https://www.jashow.org/wiki/index.ph...ty_with_God%3F

How Can You Be Sure that You Will Spend Eternity with God?/Program 3:
                https://www.jashow.org/wiki/index.ph...d%3F/Program_3

Comment

links

Just checked the links in both posts 28 & 37 and see that the links in post 28 are working now. Sorry for any confusion about those links.
                  ldonjohn

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but one that helped changed me for eternity. Thank you to all who posted on here. What an awesome site the RR forum is!!!!
                    Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Comment

I realized something awhile back as I was preparing for a sermon that may help shed some additional light on this subject. Good posts by the way...

Our belief in Jesus as the church should resemble a marriage. That is why God hates divorce, and for the sake of brevity, look in the OT as God describes his relationship/marriage with Israel if you really want to go deeper on this. But, when we give our hearts to Jesus, it is a far greater and deeper meaning than simply raising your hand during the altar call, or saying a short prayer. Let us look at Ephesians 5:22-33 NKJV...

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband."

That pretty well sums up what we need to do, but there is also some great misunderstanding in this, particularly when men read it. Men tend to read this, and only think about the women being submissive portion of the text. It's like a strange math equation in the way that, in order for women to be submissive, they have to see that their husbands are being submissive to the Lord. The Bible says in a few spots, including Romans 10:13 that "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." But that term "calls on" (or epikaleo in the Greek) is far deeper in the original Greek text than it is in English. To "call on" in that context means to take on the surname of one, to invoke one as a judge, or an invocation in prayer. When someone "calls on" the name of the Lord in this context, they are doing all of those things. They are asking the Lord to judge them, to view every part of their life and cleanse them in the blood of Jesus. They are also calling on the Lord to take on His surname, as a wife takes on the surname of her husband, declaring that they are one flesh and joined together, for what is supposed to be a permanent union. So in that, if a man has done this and is saved, He should be in complete submission to the Father, since the church is the bride of Christ. A man should be exemplifying what it looks like to be submissive to the Groom, who is Christ. If the man is doing what he is supposed to be doing, of course, the wife is going to be submissive to Him and respect him, as well as trusting him to lead the family. Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Christ gave His life for the church. This really is a summation of being "dead to self" as is encapsulated in Paul's words in Galatians 2:20 "20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

A lot of this applies to our earthly marriages, but also has a much deeper meaning in our relationship with Christ. I hope this helps. Shalom.

Comment

Thank you

For this testimony.
                        OCEANS OF LOVE and PRAYERS,
                        Rita/manytears

sigpic

Comment

Reminded today why Grace is Eternal and not of works

About 4 days ago I got into a heated debate with a post triber. I felt my point was clear however the poison in the carrot threw my sinful flesh into a tale spin. I remember the day I was saved but Satan made me freak out with his work tool. Someone had mentioned Lordship salvation and it wasn't sitting right. I had to go back and read every single verse about grace and not of works again and again and every verse where it's made clear Grace is Eternal. There's no conditions.

I am still but a babe in Christ and as many know came from a salvation/works background into occult,drugs,sex,gambling etc. til I was truly saved. I believe God has been trying to get me to focus a lot on Him and my house first without rushing out to do "works in His name" as it was such a horrible part of my life. No food drives or anything but just trusting Him He will put me where He wants me. Listen to His voice. So others would say I bare no fruit but they don't know the Works He does in me in areas I REALLY struggled with like porno (I stopped watching without effort) and cursing violent behavior dramatically decreased.

Today I was almost back to fully normal with salvation by faith alone when a delivery driver cut me off on a heavily rainy day, stopped an inch in front of my car and had a bad episode of road rage. I had such a fast amount of thoughts at first I can't recall everything that went through my head and I realized why not trusting fully on Jesus is a bad idea.

I don't remember everything I thought. If I had to repent of every single thing I did what if I missed something?? I'm not saying never repent but what if that was part of salvation? Can anyone seriously say they remember EVERYTHING they did wrong??

The Sermon on the Mount also reminds us how vastly different our standards of an incident are as opposed to God's. What if I repented and didn't grasp the extremes of what I had done?

So now I don't remember all of what thoughts ran through my head and I don't know how exactly God views it other than it's sin and He hates sin.

I should have been judged along time ago. I never deserved the kingdom of God. So justice means I am to go to the eternal Lake of Fire.

But God is LOVE! He became flesh and suffered and paid the price for the worlds sins. He asks but one thing. Confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and Savior. He sends the Holy Spirit to help develop you even though it would be the equivalent of buying a money pit home on the lip of a volcano.

If God lives outside of our concepts of time then He already knew everything I was going to do after my salvation moment. And yet, my love for Jesus washed me anew in His Righteousness.

I was reminded again today how thorough His Work on the cross was and why Jesus rightfully proclaimed "It is finished". The right moment in life came today and He used it as a learning experience to remind me how great He is!!

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
                          God's love for you is the greatest love story ever!!
                          Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Larry , thanks for sharing , this is a blessing to me.
                            John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

You're welcome Chaser. You might like a story I wrote for my youngest granddaughter, "Do You See the Nails?" It is on this site at the following link.

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1925...evised-Version

Scroll down to post #7 for a revised better version.

ldonjohn

Comment

May I pass this on or is it for RR only ?
                                John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

Working...
                                X