So hard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So hard

I'm a 17 year old senior student at a Christian school. The teachers are on fire for God but the students are mostly 'Christians' in name and not in action outside of the school grounds. There is not much seperation from the world at our school... Swearing, insolence etc abound. I mean, don't get me wrong, my school is a really great place full of warm friendly people. But at times it's hard to take a step back and look at the student body and go "Wow, this school is different!" because sometimes it isn't at all. Apathy is a big one here. I am confess to it too. It's so easy to fall in with the ranks. And how can I talk to others about the lukewarmness at lunch time when all they will do is scoff and play the 'we are already Christians, we might not be perfect but we are Christians.'

I need courage.

Praying that God will wrap His arms of Protection around you; that you may see His Glory and Light with each step you take.

Don't let anyone, no matter how 'religious' they say they are, cause you to waver from your first Love. This is a fallen world, and many are just going through the motions, hoping that they will be spared by "being better than someone else". Many people in Christian authority, let alone friends and family, have caused people to stumble in their walk with God. Put these people out of your mind, but keep them in your heart prayerfully. Try not to compare one Christian against another or to an un-believer. Remember that your relationship with Christ is a personal one; give Him all the thanks and Glory for each and everything that happens in your life, and He will bless you. (If not in this earthly life; then definitely in the next!)

God bless you, Trada. Lukewarm is no place to be.....find you own fire, and then your friends will be coming to you, asking what the difference is. (IMHO)

Take care, City.

Comment

Trada,

I suggest reading Paul's letters to the Corinthians. The church in Corinth was stumbling big time and Paul explained how a Christian should act in a sea of immorality. I think it will give you the wisdom you seek.

Comment

Keep in mind there's a bigger picture here too. There's only hope if we can interact with people outside of these unattractive moments (whether those moments contain apathy, depression, anger, etc.) as well as inside them. These people may not always be apathetic people. I hope that gives you hope!

Comment

tradaBIP,

Hang in there and show them that care to take notice through your living and actions, the truth.

I am sad to say as you get older and move forward in life that you will not find things much different however, you are accountable for your actions and language and beliefs. Speak of God, Christ and the Cross as situation allow and live accordingly as the microscope of living will be on you by others.

Comment

Thank you CitySearcher and all those who have replied so far. I really, <i>really</i> appreciate the support and advice! I guess it's not all doom and gloom as I made it seem in my threadstarter post. But I still see that I need to change my attitude if I want to push forward in Christ. Thanks for the prayer too.

Comment

TradaPIB,

You are precious and honored in His sight and He loves you. He has a purpose for you that no one else can fulfill. Just keep walking and talking with Him and He will guide you into all wisdom.

For you:
              Psalm 51:6
              Surely you desire truth in the inner parts ; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Comment

Violet, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Even I find it terribly frustrating, not to be able to share the gospel with my own unbeliever family members. They just don't want anything to do with God nor His Son, Jesus--Period! They've made it perfectly clear to both my fellow Christian mother-in-law and me, that they don't want us to talk about anything of a religious nature to them.

It breaks both our hearts that they are this way. We both know that it is not our decision to make, but theirs...and that one can't exactly lead a horse to water, and you can't make 'em drink of it. Which is our situation. But I do have a sneakin' suspicion that my mother-in-law keeps praying for them just the same. And so do I.

SisterNChrist (Tammy)

Comment

I've been there. I attended a Christian school growing up. I got a great education, had strong believers for teachers, but many of the students in my class didn't seem to walk the walk. A few did, but the influence of the other students was strong. I stumbled greatly as a young Christian, but as an adult God turned my life around. My only advice is to continue to stay close to God and remember that your life can be a witness to them. It is difficult--but God will see you through it.

Comment

TradaPIB, I encourage you to listen to the sermon "True and False Conversion" by Ray Comfort. It may help you to better understand how people are "Christian" but not Christian.

Hang in there.

Comment

you are a lighthouse for those lost in the apathy hon. Remember, even when they pull out the line used by those depending on cheap grace, they are watching to see if you will step down to that level. If you do (and don't beat yourself up if you have, because we all have at one point) they feel more comfortable in their backsliding. However, if you stand firm, and live to please the Lord instead of your peers, you will encourage them (even if the mock you at first) that living as a follower of Christ IS possible in todays world.
                      Your firm resolve today, could be what calls them to repentance tomorrow.

Do you have a Christian support group to lean on when things get tough? Venting here is a blessing, to be sure! But virtual relationships are a shadow of what real life relationships can do when things get rocky.

:

Comment

That's a big amen Funmudder! Continuing to pray for you Violet. May God give you his Peace and Comfort each day as you head out into this evil world.
                        Give Him the thanks and praise for everything that happens in your life, whether good or bad, and He will reveal Himself to you more and more each day. Hold fast! Our day is soon approaching....

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by funmudder View Post
                          you are a lighthouse for those lost in the apathy hon. Remember, even when they pull out the line used by those depending on cheap grace, they are watching to see if you will step down to that level. If you do (and don't beat yourself up if you have, because we all have at one point) they feel more comfortable in their backsliding. However, if you stand firm, and live to please the Lord instead of your peers, you will encourage them (even if the mock you at first) that living as a follower of Christ IS possible in todays world.
                          Your firm resolve today, could be what calls them to repentance tomorrow.

Do you have a Christian support group to lean on when things get tough? Venting here is a blessing, to be sure! But virtual relationships are a shadow of what real life relationships can do when things get rocky.

:
                          I do. I have a great family, church and family friends who actually care about me. Plus, one of the teachers at my school is aware and working against the apathy of us students. He is awesome and his office door is always open

@Rebekah, thanks for sharing aye. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Thanks again for the support RR peeps. I've lurked in these forums for years rarely making a post (never a personal one like this). I should have expected such a warm reply

The Bible verses given to me.. I'm commiting them to memory. So applicable.

Comment

I feel that it is a spirit of apathy in that place, & I'd like to suggest that everytime you enter it say "Peace be unto this place".
                            It is harder for a young person to be a christian since they are afraid of looking different, or losing their peers. So, all you can do is to stay strong, & show them by your example, & pray for them. I know it's hard. Remember, even Jesus was not able to get His own people to listen to Him!

Comment

You probably are one of God's favorite students there!

Comment

Working...
                              X