Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need icebreaker ideas for giving tracts to neighbors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I think a good ice breaker would be, if you are at least an acquaintance, (and assuming you attend church) would be to ask if they have a home church. If they say they don't, you can invite them to come w/ you. You can explain that it would be a good way for you two to get to know one another and for them to learn about God. If they deny your request, then perhaps you can something like, I have this littlebooklet that I would like for you to read. It will take only a few minutes. If you have any questions, let me know, and I will see if I can help you out.”

    Keep in mind that Trick or Treat is a GREAT and EASY way to hand out tracts to the kids. Most little kids like to read, so they will very likely read them, and possibly they will read them to their parents.

    Also, another great place to hand out tracts is at your local county fairs, and special events.

    I used to work near a bus route and I passed by the benches where people wait to ride the bus, and I would hand out tracts on my way to work to the people sitting there. It gave them something to do while they waited on their bus. Just some future suggestions.
    sigpic“My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)


    BTW, my son is a junior in high school!

    Comment


    • #17
      Tiger Lily, if he wasn't a drinker himself (and a lot of drinkers out there), he may have grown up with an abusive, alcoholic, parent. I firmly believe there are no "mistakes" when doing evangelism, OTHER than the failure to listen to Holy Spirit prompting.

      The only times I ever got yelled at for trying to hand out a Bible were times I disregarded what God was telling me. I tried to give a Bible in spite of the very loud NO in my heart, and got shouted at to the point of fleeing both times.

      " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

      Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

      Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

      Matthew 22:9 NIV
      'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


      I'm praying for you daily!
      I get my Bibles here

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
        I think a good ice breaker would be, if you are at least an acquaintance, (and assuming you attend church) would be to ask if they have a home church. If they say they don't, you can invite them to come w/ you. You can explain that it would be a good way for you two to get to know one another and for them to learn about God. If they deny your request, then perhaps you can something like, I have this littlebooklet that I would like for you to read. It will take only a few minutes. If you have any questions, let me know, and I will see if I can help you out.”

        Keep in mind that Trick or Treat is a GREAT and EASY way to hand out tracts to the kids. Most little kids like to read, so they will very likely read them, and possibly they will read them to their parents.

        Also, another great place to hand out tracts is at your local county fairs, and special events.

        I used to work near a bus route and I passed by the benches where people wait to ride the bus, and I would hand out tracts on my way to work to the people sitting there. It gave them something to do while they waited on their bus. Just some future suggestions.
        Yes! In fact the Chick Tracts have several different tracts oriented to Halloween.
        http://www.chick.com/seasonal/halloween/

        The bus route thing makes a lot of sense. Anywhere that people have to sit and wait, would seem to increase the chances of them being read. I had been thinking the other day about leaving some at the medical clinic where I go, too, but it got too late before I was done elsewhere.

        Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

        "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
        ______

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
          Tiger Lily, if he wasn't a drinker himself (and a lot of drinkers out there), he may have grown up with an abusive, alcoholic, parent. I firmly believe there are no "mistakes" when doing evangelism, OTHER than the failure to listen to Holy Spirit prompting. . . .
          Thanks, Acts, that is encouraging. I hope you're right and that it was indeed the best one to give him.

          Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post

          . . . The only times I ever got yelled at for trying to hand out a Bible were times I disregarded what God was telling me. I tried to give a Bible in spite of the very loud NO in my heart, and got shouted at to the point of fleeing both times.
          Yikes! I will have to keep that in mind with the tracts!

          Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

          "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
          ______

          Comment


          • #20
            TigerLily- Thank you for encouraging. I did try. I really dislike gathering up the nerve to do anything just for it to fissile. I will think about the envelope idea. However, when I imagine the world after the rapture, it's unlikely there will be someone kind enough to mail it. We never know how the Spirit works though, so it's a possibility.

            Acts 5:41- You are right. Only God can reach the heart. When my neighbor was speaking to me, he mentioned a few sick family members he was going to visit that weekend. There seemed to be misfortune among them. :/ I remember the neighbor and his wife use to fight so bad, she'd run outside and cry under a tree in their front yard. Among other things that would happen, I think he needs the good news. I do misunderstand how people aren't constantly worried about their souls, especially older people who are blessed to live so long and get set in their ways.

            Meshee- It's just that. I don't feel I am a light in enough of a way to evangelize. I have lots of progress to make between Father and I before I attempt to draw others to Him. For those who are close to me, I try to get them to at least understand which true Christianity is about among the myths.


            All- How is it that you all care enough about a person to put your neck out to tell them the truth? I struggle with caring enough to bother witnessing to others. I came to God on my own, because I was concerned enough to find the truth about my existence. I decided to find it out with the knowledge that I have my own wants that can get in the way of accepting truth. I think I person is silly not to do the same. Ultimately, if they live their lives without bothering to search that is their fault. I know sharing the Gospel is loving your neighbor as Jesus commanded. I figure that is reason enough to do it...

            Comment


            • #21
              I'd invite him to share dinner with myself and my family, get to know him a bit, let him get to know us a bit and witness to him at a later date in a more personal manner...but I agree that we all have our own personal styles.
              Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~ Matthew 6:19-21 ~

              Comment


              • #22
                Interestingly, Royal, the logical concern you mentioned in your last paragraph that one would think people would have for their existence reminds me of/is addressed in Chick Tract's "The Fool":

                http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0020/0020_01.asp

                Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

                "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
                ______

                Comment


                • #23
                  Royal, I ask God to put His love for the unreached into my heart. I also ask Him to guide and direct me in everything.

                  It's interesting how that works. I get the occasional donor for the Bible handouts. I also spend my own money on Bibles. Recently, I spent half my grocery money on some evangelism New Testaments. About 50.

                  They were on sale. Half off. I HAD to get them.

                  Today, I met a guy who does outreach to gang members, and people in the county jail. I knew God wanted me to give the guy the ENTIRE stash of Bibles, so that's what I did. It was clear to both my eyes and my heart, that this man could go places I would never be welcome. It was very loud - God wanted me to do this, and I want to be obedient.

                  So, now I'm praying for my 40+ "recipients", even though I will never meet them. Oh, and a lot of Scripture booklets. And some tracts.

                  He went away, very well, equipped.

                  You could always mail him something before the rapture, I think. Just put in a little note, "I'm a Christian, and God has done wonderful things for me. I would like to share Him with you. I have some problems with anxiety, or I'd have given you this myself."

                  I might get him "Help From Above" from World Missionary Press. They are free. You can ask for one, or a couple hundred, and they'll get them to you!

                  http://www.wmpress.org/bksavail.shtml You can also read the booklets online.

                  I like to get a dozen or so Chinese booklets every time I place an order. When my husband and I order Chinese food, we give the workers booklets in their own language, in a bag with some candy. They love it.

                  You can even do "ministry" to people of another language! I LOVE that.

                  " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

                  Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

                  Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

                  Matthew 22:9 NIV
                  'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


                  I'm praying for you daily!
                  I get my Bibles here

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X