Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Small prayer request, I could use some help finding a place that does laminating. "My" place (a Mardel) closed down and I can't find a place nearby that does laminating. I need a sign I can roll up after I'm done, so I can ride the bus home or throw in the back of a cab.
    Acts, I have used the clear packing tape to laminate 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of paper. I'm sure it would be a pain to put packaging tape on a large poster, but if all else fails, it could be done. I just put rows of the tape slightly overlapping, and did both sides. I allow the tape to extend beyond the edges until both sides are finished, then I trim off the edges flush with the poster edges.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

• Thank you! Worst case I will recruit my aunt to take me out to the Mardel in Katy. They should do laminating.

Another update. First some back story. I was told about this location as a young man was killed by police officers there. He was a career criminal, in and out of prison. He had 2 children. His girlfriend murdered the small children while he was in prison. When he got out, he didn't adapt well and ended up confronting a police officer and getting killed.

If someone had shared their faith with him.... Anyway, there's the background.

The Greenspoint area has such a bad reputation Ron accompanied me to the Handout today. He was worried about my safety. When we got the venue, so to speak, I was teasing him. I reminded him of the neighborhood in California. "I don't see *any* crack pipes" I told him "Dirty needles, or used condoms. It isn't half as bad as the place in CA." And it was fine.

Ron rode in his cheap, rugged, wheelchair. The usual wheelchair he has is good for in the house but not so good in dealing with rough sidewalks, potholes, or high curbs. I hung the bag on the back of the wheelchair, with the sign, and Ron held the case of Bibles in his lap. He wondered aloud how long he would have to hold them. I told him, not long, just until we get to the venue . He was happy to hear it.

We had a good ride with a driver who teased us a little bit, it was nice. I was thrilled to find it was easier than expected to get Ron to the location, they had nice ramps and curb-cuts. I did have to bump him up on the median but I did it.

I gave him his small sign and unrolled my big sign. It was pretty slow at first. One young man waved me away, angrily, like a gnat when he saw me coming. I gave some to pedestrians, including one young woman with a teardrop tattoo (that means they have killed someone, I've been told). She was chatting with Ron about his favorite Bible verse and actually looked it up and read it for herself.

I had some nice-dressed women in cars, perhaps from the local office buildings (it was lunch) who accepted Bibles, and plenty more who said no thanks.

I had a guy on the sidewalk call me over. I went up to him. He asked me if I had a "good sized" Bible. I told him yes. I showed him the Bible and he liked it. He said he had trouble reading small print so I also gave him a large print Gospel of John I carry for just such an occasion.

I had some Spanish, thrilled to get it, but the neighborhood I saw was mostly young and black.

I was absolutely delighted when a carload of young black men, pulled up, clamoring for Bibles. Hands were sticking out of all the windows, wanting Bibles. Most of them were wearing red, which is a gang color. I kept feeding Bibles in through the window until they were all served. 5 Bibles in one shot

Then I had a carload of young white men, all wanting Bibles. I served them, too.

I tried to politely offer Bibles to passerby, some of them accepted, some of them didn't. I try not to be obnoxious. God is always training me. One lady was interested in a Bible, but really impressed when I told her I didn't take donations when I'm working. I think she will be more motivated to investigate now, knowing that.

Pretty soon they were all gone, except for one I missed that had some scuffs on the cover. I decided not to try to distribute that and called it done.

I took Ron's sign and rolled it up. Ron squashed the Bible box (holds 28 but I brought extra). We did it all in half an hour, according to Ron. Lunch, at that intersection, is a good spot.

Then we went out for a snack. Ron was very interested to hear about the chicken place so we got him some fried chicken. He loved it and ate 4 pieces. We called a cab to go home and had a good trip. The price was reasonable, too, just a couple dollars more than a ride to Walmart.

And now we're home. I'm already plotting the next Handout.

Please pray for the recipients!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
      'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
      I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Comment

• Store owners were chasing off drug dealers during today's handout. I can't repeat the language they used as it would get me banned! I had another good handout and went home in a cab (Ron paid for the cab).

Interesting, I used to be able to hand out 100 in an hour or so. Now it takes 2 hours to do 30. I feel like an Old Testament gleaner getting the corners of the field.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Benny Hinn!

What? Yeah, today I ran into a driver, the one who suggested my latest venue. It's definitely my "sort" of neighborhood so I'm glad I went - have been going. I HAD planned to go tomorrow, but she told me Benny Hinn will be at the church nearby, doing a "healing service"!

I, in no way, want to be affiliated with him. I will let God do all the judging but I had a very strong internal revolt when I heard his name.

I don't want people seeing me and thinking I am affiliated. I don't - EVER. [shudder]

So, no handout tomorrow.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
              Benny Hinn!

What? Yeah, today I ran into a driver, the one who suggested my latest venue. It's definitely my "sort" of neighborhood so I'm glad I went - have been going. I HAD planned to go tomorrow, but she told me Benny Hinn will be at the church nearby, doing a "healing service"!

I, in no way, want to be affiliated with him. I will let God do all the judging but I had a very strong internal revolt when I heard his name.

I don't want people seeing me and thinking I am affiliated. I don't - EVER. [shudder]

So, no handout tomorrow.
              Yes, I just saw on Facebook a post from a friend of ours from our singles group who is going to this Benny Hinn event in Houston. We all came from a solid bible believing church. She was engaged to a wonderful man in our church...broke off the engagement and kind of went off the deep end...religion wise. Now 20 years later she is still single and going from one charismatic high to another...I have a hard time trying to understand how this happens.

Comment

• People keep telling me Greens Road @ Imperial Valley is a really bad area. Good, that's why we go.

We got there around lunch and set up. I started handing out Bibles almost immediately. I don't know how it works, but Ron seems to be my "lucky charm" in that neighborhood. I don't know if it's the wheelchair, or the fact he's black, but it works. People are much more drawn to the Handout and interested in taking a Bible.

I had one lady who spoke Spanish. I gave her all 4 of my Spanish Bibles. I didn't get any other Spanish after that. I got a couple of guys in work trucks, one of them said "I won't say no to a Bible!" and I gave him one, with a promise to pray for him daily (THE most important part of the work!).

I had a lady with some kids in the backseat. She wanted Bibles, I gave her two regular Bibles. I was digging in my bag for the kid Bibles when the light changed. I told her to come back, I had kid Bibles. It took a couple minutes, but she did. She and the kids were thrilled to get some kid Bibles (they are an easy to read translation, larger print, illustrations). I was so happy I had brought some kid Bibles.

I had a couple of people who told me they already had Bibles. I kicked myself because I had meant to bring some Bible promise books for them, and I forgot. Next time I will put them in my bag the minute I think about it.

Then I had Mr Know It All in the convertible. He told me he already had a Bible, my translation was "all wrong" and I wasn't going to Heaven by doing works. I know that. I see it more as inviting people to an awesome party, than "working my way to heaven" which we all know I can't do anyway. Frustrating.

But it's not for me to judge others, even though they may judge me. My job is to stand out on the corner and distribute Bibles. I was really happy I was clearly handing out Bibles to people who lived in the neighborhood, poorly dressed, cheap cars, gang colors, etc. I really want to reach "the lost" and not people who already have half a dozen Bibles at home. God was letting me do that; and everyone was thrilled to hear I would pray for them daily. One lady asked for our names, and we gave them to her (first names) and she wrote them on her hand so she could pray for us. I thought that was really sweet.

We also saw a waitress we know. She already has a Bible. She came over and got a hug, wanted to know what we were doing, and chatted a minute.

I had a real run on Bibles at the end, it seemed like every car wanted a couple. I had two pedestrians walk across the street, one towards the start of the Handout. I gave her a Bible and she took it. The second lady came at the end of the Handout. I told her I only had 2 left and she took one. Then I looked in my bag and saw I had two more. I gave them away and told Ron to put down his sign.

He's always so confused when I tell him that. I have to take the sign away and roll it up with my own. I told him we were done, and everyone had been served. It was time to go to the chicken place.

We went and ate lunch, then we came home. Please pray for the recipients!

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Comment

• Yesterday I got my delivery of Bibles. Today I went out and gave them away! Well, one case at least.

Ron came with me, he wasn't feeling very well (his back, and neuropathy), but he seems to be my lucky charm so he came. I told him once, God will come back "faster" if he hands out a lot of Bibles.

We went to our usual spot. Today, it was police everywhere. If I had a dollar for every time I saw the police I could have paid for our cab ride home. They didn't bother me. Like I've said, I don't think the police worry about Bible distribution in the bad neighborhoods. I certainly felt safe. No one would have had a free second to do anything.

It was slower today, took a little over an hour, but we handed out 32 whole Bibles, some Spanish, and 4 Bible Promise books to the "I already have a Bible" crowd.

I tried to give Bibles to the pedestrians, walking around everywhere. They either took it, or rejected it with some force.

One memorable transfer happened when a young man saw me right as the light changed. He reached out his hand to me, and nodded as I held the Bibles out, he cruised by as I ran to keep up and gave him 2.

It started raining about halfway through but it was only a light drizzle and the Bibles were fine. We kept going.

I had a couple of women with a friend/relative in the car who asked for one, but were very happy when I gave them 2, one for everyone. I hate to see someone go without a Bible.

I could have brought more Spanish, and I will, next time. I had a couple of people who kept looking at us, interested. One of them, when I "caught" her, covered her face. So she didn't want one, yet. But the other ones I walked over and served them.

I didn't have anyone lecturing me this time, but I did have a few people driving by, smiling, nodding, giving us little salutes. It is nice to feel welcome in a neighborhood, even if it's a bad one.

I gave one man a Bible and he called me back after a minute or two. I went back and he gave me a bottle of water! I took it! I get thirsty running up and down.

My last recipient for the day was a young man picking his son up from school (he had the temporary badge). I gave him a Bible and wished I had a kid's Bible to give him.

So, next time. More Bible Promise books - they were very well received and I have plenty of them here at home. More Spanish - I always need that. And a couple kid Bibles.

Afterward we went and got chicken at the chicken place. Well, I got a hamburger. It was very good.

Please pray for the recipients! Thank you.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Today I went to my local Bible bookstore. I ordered 300 New Testaments and they gave me free shipping to my house (a big deal, as I'm on public transit), AND a box of Bibles they had collected for me. Nice. Poor Ron was struggling under that case of Bibles, it was full of really nice whole Bibles.

I gave one to the driver on the way home, she was happy to get it. Now to make room for everything.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• I think what you do is amazing!! It even reminds me of when I was a kid and my real dad (we don't have much of a relationship if any now) and I would go out and do street ministry, including missions work at the local missions in downtown Seattle. I read your excursions and it makes me miss it. Not the bad parts, but the good parts. I was little then, so I don't think I received rejection like my dad did, but I believe that is where I learned everyone has a story, and never ever judge a book by its cover. I also learned that sometimes just a friendly smile and to tell someone to have a good day can go for a very long ways. You are for sure being used by God in amazing ways you may not even be aware of.

Comment

• And that's the funny thing: I am bipolar with schizophrenia on top. I have brain damage. I can't even drive. No person would use me, but God does. It's even funnier when Ron comes along, blind, in his wheelchair. I am getting better distribution when he comes with me, lately.

Things aren't what they were. Used to be I could do 100 in an hour, now I am "lucky" to do 30 in an hour, but I keep going. Glad God can use me.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• 100 or 1 someone is blessed because of what you do. Also, look at the different "types" of people God used in the Bible. Non of them were perfect, all flawed in one way or another and sometimes multiple. Even the disciples had their own faults.

Comment

• Comment

• Praying for the recipients.

Praying the Lord continues watching over you and Ron.

Comment

Working...
                                X